Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

ioFTPD General New releases, comments, questions regarding the latest version of ioFTPD.

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #106
Yil
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Administrator

Man, I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that early reports are that things appear stable for people. I was starting to get annoyed...

For the record, ioFTPD has a reference count allocator for some things and the download code created something, free'd it, then shared it just a little bit later. Thus if you were the only user there wasn't much of a race condition which made the problem hard to spot. On the other hand if there were multiple users then that window got far more dangerous which is why when I fxp'd to myself the error finally popped for me.

I appreciate those of you wishing to contribute to my efforts. I'll get my act together at some point and get the source onto sourceforge and then perhaps put up a paypal link or something then for those who feel so inclined.

The next week or so is pretty busy for me but I've got a few things to work on. I'm going to revisit the no-directory-size option to try to speed up directory listings for large sites. That might involve a number of changes in code that I wasn't going to play with until things got stable since I was afraid the few little things I'd done there were already causing problems.

Feel free to continue posting suggestions. Maybe even someone would like to volunteer to keep track of them in a different thread and put up a vote at some point. In particular I'd be interested in scripter feedback on things that particular suck for them. ioFTPD's strength is in it's flexibility and that really comes through scripts/addons. One thing I've noticed is that ioGUI doesn't keep it's list of accounts or their info up to date because there currently isn't an easy way to do that short of polling the server all the time which is expensive to do. Perhaps a new event or maybe even a special command could make ioFTPD send updates when they happen.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:41 AM   #107
mr.babek
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

@psa9/addict: If you could put in some new things in ioGUI , that would be great, as I REALLY like a nice frontend ..
Old 04-09-2007, 01:44 AM   #108
mr.babek
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

Default put your hands up for YIL

YIL, it's Realy fantastic to see the effort you put into the project! Thanks mate!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:44 AM   #109
PSA9
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Post Simple Typo Error

################################################## #############################
################################# DEVICES #################################
################################################## #############################
#
# A device is used by a service (ftp, telnet, or http) to specify connection
# information such as which address and ports to bind to, and whether to shape
# outgoing traffice.

traffice should be traffic

nothing big but i real any errors should be posted

also what is php.ini used for?

ioFTPD-v6.0.3
ioSFV-v2.0beta1.54
Win XP and Win Vista
Old 04-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #110
LordM
ioFTPD Foundation User

SO for so good. with ioFTPD 6.03 it doesn't come to crashes here anymore. Tested (again) on WinXP and Win2k3 Server.

But sometime, I can't say when exactly(didn't have the time to take a deeper look at it, ioFTPD disconnects clients on listing dirs. (No matrter, how many subdirs there are. Using LIST -al) I'll try to reproduce that problem in the next days.

Very good job so far Yil. Keep it up!

ioFTPD 7.7.2
ioNiNJA BETA Stable v0.8.9.6
Old 04-09-2007, 07:48 AM   #111
FTPServerTools
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

Put the source on sourceforge please..
Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #112
en3rmax

My setup
========
ioFTPD - 6.0.3
ioSFV - 1.54

I'm doing some stability tests at the moment, i sent 26 mp3 releases over to my ftp and it all worked fine with no crashing, older versions would never do that!!
Also the site shutdown is working for me now with no crashing.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #113
zkx

cool, 6.0.3 doesn't crash even with the ConfigUpdate scheduled...
maybe i should dig up my old zipscript tweakage project and see if i still remember how to code....
tho maybe i should test more with a working zipscript before i do that :P
Old 04-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #114
Yil
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Administrator

LordM: Turn on timestamping in the logfile for FlashFXP. It's possible right now that if you wander into a really big directory especially if it's remotely mounted that it could take more than 2 minutes to generate a directory listing (the first time only as it caches all the answers) and FlashFXP disconnects thinking the server is dead... There is actually an option in FlashFXP for this timeout so try setting it from 2 to like 5 if this turns out to be the problem.

I had what I hope is a breakthrough idea to cheat and lookup info from the .ioFTPD files myself for subdirectories without actually processing the directory as happens now. This should make a substantial difference for large servers but you won't get directory sizes in listings anymore if you turn the option on.

Hey tuff, since I'm actually parsing the .ioFTPD files myself now I'm noticing a potential problem. You only have roughly 4060 bytes for the entire combined FileContext for the directory. Thus whether you use one 3500 byte entry or two 2000 bytes entries you should be OK, but I think you're headed for failure with three 2000 byte entries... It also appears that while files can have filecontexts none of them actually get saved to the .ioFTPD file so just the directory is available. I think I mistakenly communicated to you that any file can have a file context and while that's true they aren't persistent...

The good news is I understand the file format now so can change it. If people need more space then I might just increase the blocking factor from 4k to 16k or write code to save/restore file contexts for files. Changes might break compatibility with older versions though so once you upgrade you wouldn't be able to downgrade ioFTPD again so I'll prefer to get feedback on this so we only do this change once...
Old 04-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #115
zkx

afaik, people have been waiting a fix for the 4k .ioFTPD bug for ages now.... i personally wouldn't mind it breaking backwards compatibility, tho my needs for an ftpd aren't the same as for a lot of people here, i've got a tiny server... a puny one
Old 04-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #116
Yil
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Administrator

Just to be clear the 4k corruption bug is fixed. This is only indirectly related and only affects scripts like tuff's that store additional info in the .ioFTPD file for use by the scripts themselves.

LATE UPDATE: I think I may have overlooked a buffer resize piece of code... It might be able to handle larger file contexts after all...

Last edited by Yil; 04-09-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:32 AM   #117
Yil
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Administrator

Default v6.0.4

New Version:

ioFTPD-v6.0.4.zip

For those with performance problems or really big directories, enable the No_SubDir_Sizing option and see if this helps.

Code:
v6.0.4 Release Notes:
1) New ioFTPD.ini option (No_SubDir_Sizing).  If this is enabled then ioFTPD
   will not compute or display the size of files in subdirectories of the
   current directory (i.e. All subdirs show 0 size).  On particularly large
   directory trees or network shares the time to CWD or LIST some directories
   can be long.  In the most common case of CWD then LIST the list is actually
   fast since all the data is cached from the CWD command, so I had to change
   some of the caching logic itself instead of just the listing code.

2) New LIST option.  The -s option will force ioFTPD to display the size of
   files in subdirectories.  Only really useful if No_SubDir_Sizing is True.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:56 AM   #118
pretorian
ioFTPD Foundation User

Yil, Great work dude
That solved my long listing times.

btw, is it possible to disable dir cache completely, like most ftpd's ?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:56 AM   #119
tuff
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Scripter

Yil, im not the only one that uses .ioftpd files to store script info, if you fork this now, it will break almost every script available using .ioftpd files. This wouldnt be a problem for myself, since im updating scripts weekly, it will however cause massive problems for others that use what i consider dead projects ie. scripts that havent been updated in atleast the last 12 months.

I've had results back from guys using ioSFV 1.54 and 6.0.2+ and there is no problems at all regarding .ioftpd files, guys have tested 300 x 100meg files contained in sfvs, without a hitch.

I personally dont mind either way, just keep in mind, if you do fork the file structor for the .ioftpd files, "therell be trouble ahead" :P
Old 04-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #120
Flow
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

Is thare more to fix Yil? Or are you at adding features now ?
As always, GREAT job doing!
Closed Thread

Tags
fxp, ioftpd, recursive, test, v6.0

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: