Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

ioFTPD General New releases, comments, questions regarding the latest version of ioFTPD.

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #121
ArtX
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuff View Post

I've had results back from guys using ioSFV 1.54 and 6.0.2+ and there is no problems at all regarding .ioftpd files, guys have tested 300 x 100meg files contained in sfvs, without a hitch.
ye i gave his sfv checker a right going over transfering a blue ray disc to other pc, i have no errors - so i think everything is moving long nicely
Old 04-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #122
zOrP

I'm using php_psio and thats working flawless with 6.03..

btw Yil what did u think of my idea?

The function glftpd has, where if the ip isnt added, the user doesnt even get to the login part. It just looks like site is down.
Would be a nice addon..
Old 04-10-2007, 05:28 PM   #123
oldhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by zOrP View Post
The function glftpd has, where if the ip isnt added, the user doesnt even get to the login part. It just looks like site is down.
Would be a nice addon..
Totally agree.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #124
LordM
ioFTPD Foundation User

Okay, here now the logged part on timeout on listing dirs:

Code:
LIST -al
Connected. Negotiating TLSv1 session..
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for directory listing.
426 Connection closed: Connection timed out.
List Complete: 0 bytes in 20,06 seconds (0,0 KB/s)
Connection lost: XXX
Four dirs and one file inside. IMDB info in .ioFTPD file.

Using 6.0.4

ioFTPD 7.7.2
ioNiNJA BETA Stable v0.8.9.6
Old 04-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #125
PSA9
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Exclamation Tuff and Yil

Quote:
Yil, im not the only one that uses .ioftpd files to store script info, if you fork this now, it will break almost every script available using .ioftpd files. This wouldnt be a problem for myself, since im updating scripts weekly, it will however cause massive problems for others that use what i consider dead projects ie. scripts that havent been updated in atleast the last 12 months.
in my honest opinion about the .ioftpd files is that if Yil was to modify .ioftpd files and its for a reason to better ioFTPD i am all for that. i understand older scripts may suffer but simple solution get someone to rewrite them like u do tuff. if not peeps in need for them can use older ioFTPD as they did it for this long what would lil longer do.

i also belive that ioFTPD should not hold itself back for ioGUI2 either. someone will remake a ioGUI to fit the needs. and if addict doesn't plan to update it and if someone would slightly be willing to get me on the right path, i will remake the GUI. i had plans of remaking one for myself anyways called ioADMIN.
i feal that ioFTPD should never inplement a GUI for performance reasons and can be hidden on pc when running special FTPs.

However if i were to make ioADMIN, it would run shorta like ioGUI but have every option with maybe ballon tips and stuff to where u never touch ioFTPD yourself.
for ex on a new install, u open ioADMIN and one option would be a check box that on open ioADMIN it can auto start ioFTPD and on close auto shut down. the way a real GUI would do anyway but then again check box would be their for peeps that will not use the GUI same way tuff, the reguest i have for your script ioSFV may not be used on special ftps! and then of course later skinable, LOL, but lets me not talk to much about that now.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #126
Yil
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Administrator

LordM: interesting. Have you seen that behavior without SSL? I wonder if the key exchange or something had an issue. I'll look at the code since I'm not sure any sort of timeout applies to ioFTPD sending data and thus if the exchange fails ioFTPD might just get stuck until the client closes the connection. In this case it looks like the client closed or lost the control connection as well. I'm pretty sure ioFTPD won't ever time you out on the control connection if you have an active data transfer in progress though so I'm inclined to think the client just closed both...

zOrP, oldhouse: If you can explain how this works in detail I'll see what I can do. I'm guessing you would need to scan all the user accounts, compile a list of allowed IP masks and then apply that combined list before accepting any connections. That's doable I guess. On the other hand a single user with *@* would turn the feature off right? Also, names would need to be resolved every once in a while to keep them fresh...

.ioFTPD: The 4k buffer created on the stack can turn into a dynamically allocated memory buffer for larger blocksizes and I missed realizing what was happening. There is however a hard 128k blocksize limit in the code right now but if you have 128k of FileContext for a directory I think there's a problem hehe...

pretorian: There really isn't any way to disable directory caching because it's a good thing. Any FTP that allows fine grained permissions for files like ioFTPD or Raiden needs to store those settings somewhere and apply them to files when testing for access rights. Unix FTP servers often just use the actual file/group permissions of the files and thus don't need any extra data but Window's FTP servers with file level rights do. Since there is a really high chance of a CWD being followed by a LIST the parsing of permission info really can't be avoided in most cases and keeping that work done is a good thing. Notice the time it takes to enter a big directory the first time versus the second. I should point out that some of that time is actually the OS having to cache directory information itself.

The only way to significantly improve performance would be to store directory permission information in the parent folder instead of the actual folder. Or perhaps more accurately in both places. This would prevent having to actually examine every .ioFTPD file in every subdir to get the permission/ownership information. That's a pretty substantial change though.

The new option I added to speed up CWD and directory listings essentially inlines the subdirectory .ioFTPD lookup and limits it to just parsing the subdirectory permissions instead of enumerating all the files in the subdir and then applying all the permissions. I did take one further shortcut. I also don't compute the CRC checksum for the .ioFTPD file when examining it just for listings. I might go back and add that or make it an option just to be safe, but when you actually enter or access files in the subdirectory the original code is still used which verifies the file.

Flow: I think I've added all the options I was complaining that ioFTPD didn't have and wanted. If you've got new ideas feel free to bring them up. Besides the lack of a front end I think ioFTPD gives all the other Window's FTP servers a run for their money and the cost is hard to beat now

A new Windows based GUI sounds really good to me, but in my opinion it should be a standalone type thing and issue all commands through the FTP server like ioGUI does. Not using shared memory takes a performance hit but allows you to administer FTP servers that aren't local and that would be a good thing. I haven't played with the VS2005 GUI builder but mocking up the screens and getting the interface right sounds like a good place to start. The other big thing here is we aren't limited to using what ioFTPD provides today. I can easily add an event driven model where transfer updates, issued commands, etc are pushed to the GUI over a data connection instead of having the front end poll every second like it does now... I also thought the front end should NOT handle server configuration (that's just too complicated) BUT should allow non-master accounts as well. Thus group admins could modify their users with a GUI...

The only other thing on my list was to look into what a real windows service application looks like. I don't know if you have to do anything special or not but a service installer would be useful and using the auto-restart logic that comes with Window's services is nice.

Last edited by Yil; 04-10-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:51 AM   #127
zOrP

Well im not exactly sure how it works Yil. But i could look into it.

But glftpd checks all ips added on site. And if the ip isnt added you only get

(11:48:41) [2] Connecting to some.weird.dns:21
(11:48:46) [2] Connection Reset by Peer(10054)
(11:48:46) [2] Retrying after 30 seconds for site

and sysop.log gives you:
[LOGiN] denied unknown connection from *@some.ip.not.added

So it would seem site is down, or not existing.
But yes *@* would prolly break it.
But then again, who is stupid enough to use *@*..
Old 04-11-2007, 05:42 AM   #128
ADDiCT
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

How can one determine the remote IP before calling accept()? Once accept() is called, the client will see "connection established" before the "reset by peer".
Old 04-11-2007, 06:03 AM   #129
peep
FlashFXP Scripter
ioFTPD Foundation User

Perhaps if one is using an entry-bnc this would be possible but I can't see otherwise how this would work.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #130
Flow
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

Hi Yil
Here are some ideas left to be added.
- Serviceinstaller with keepalive option
- Higher Cipher rate SSL usage
- A GREAT nice looking systray icon. (yea yea, so i dont haveto bringup the taskmanager and check if it still running, also perhaps with colour indication whats going on with the site, online/offline/idle/upload/download. Right click option with STOP/START service and prolly more to add to rightclick on the systray menu.

But PLEASE, dont bloat the deamon. Nice/Tight and stable. Leave the addons to the scripts coders.

Thanks

Last edited by Flow; 04-11-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #131
Yil
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Administrator

ADDiCT: if you use WSAAccept() you can actually specify a function that accepts/rejects connections so if you reject it there you actually never get an established connection which I think should look like a stealthed port. Interestingly enough the documentation says you should perform a full TCP handshake though to prevent a SYN style denial-of-service attack. I think in order to not trigger lots of connection attempts as the client keeps resending the first TCP SYN packet you need to keep around the fact that you already declined to accept that particular connection attempt. I suppose a hybrid approach where you fail to accept connections unless you're getting flooded within a certain time period and then you just start rejecting them would get you the best of both worlds though...

Using the WSAAccept approach is a bit trickier right now though because internally ioFTPD uses AcceptEx to get an overlapped version of accept which is handled by the main I/O threads and WSAAccept doesn't support overlapped operations so you'd need to do some restructuring of the way things work...

I'm guessing that accepting the connection and then closing it without ever printing anything would be good enough for right now though and all the work to make that possibly would be needed in either solution.

Just thinking out loud a bit, but supporting dynamically created accounts via events (not available yet) would require either the use of a fake account so you could specify allowed IPs before actually having a real user account created or else some way to add/remove IPs from the allowed list via site commands. Using either of these you could also do something cool like support a knock type solution. I.e. try to connect on port 60000 which is just an external script, but doing so adds your IP to the list of valid IPs for the server on port 5000. Either of these would remove the need for someone who really has no control over their IP (traveling for instance) to avoid having to specify *@* and thus rendering the solution useless...

I'll add this to the todo list since it seems popular.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #132
Yil
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
Hi Yil
Here are some ideas left to be added.
- Serviceinstaller with keepalive option
- Higher Cipher rate SSL usage
- A GREAT nice looking systray icon. (yea yea, so i dont haveto bringup the taskmanager and check if it still running, also perhaps with colour indication whats going on with the site, online/offline/idle/upload/download. Right click option with STOP/START service and prolly more to add to rightclick on the systray menu.
Service Installer and support for being run as a service are going on the todo list. The ability to start the server on bootup and to auto-restart on failure just makes too much sense.

At the moment use Vista for better SSL support since that enables AES/SHA 256. Windows XP/2003 don't support those protocols via SSocket and the only way to get them is to use OpenSSL like the FTP Clients do. I think that might require a large number of changes though...

Systray icon in ioFTPD itself just isn't going to happen. First off it's just not a good idea to have one when you're trying to run as a service. ioGUI2 has a nice one right now with up/down arrows and all that good stuff. At the moment I highly recommend ioGUI2. I DO think a brand new GUI/Systray is something we would all like but as I mentioned before it should just connect to the server. That of course means it could also connect to multiple or remote servers
Old 04-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #133
zOrP

Another thing though.. Cant seem to find the reason, but when i start my ftp everything works fine..
After about 2 mins, i cant connect from outside. Only through 127.0.0.1.
Error logs show me nothing, and no firewall is enabled when i test..
Any ideas?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #134
hukker
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

I bealive he made the ioFTPD account, the master account only accesable thrue localhost, 127.0.0.1, check the user file in /users.... this is offcourse only if your using the ioFTPD account to access your site ^^
Old 04-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #135
Flow
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

ok, screw the systrayicon
Closed Thread

Tags
fxp, ioftpd, recursive, test, v6.0

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: