Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

ioFTPD General New releases, comments, questions regarding the latest version of ioFTPD.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:57 PM   #76
_panic_
Ultimate Scripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACiD
ok you made me look retarded. :P

sorry for not clarifying what i was talking about, i am speaking in regards to the fix to the login error messages saying different things depending on if its a wrong username or password the client supplies.
ah, you know. i've fixed that in my version of the code, but haven't made a new release yet. i wanted to fix the /site command bug, since 5.8.6 is kinda useless for most people without being able to run those commands. and to do *that* i wanted to add a regression test framework.

so in essense, the whole thing is waiting on me fixing some issues with my new regression test framework. i'm happy to compile up what i've got and provide it as-is, if you'd like to try it. i'm still quite new at making releases. the last one we uncovered some bugs with our release process and it took me awhile; but i need to get faster at it one way or another. so why not another release!

Quote:
and as far as the "threat" comment goes, it's not a threat so much as it's feedback because ultimately i would like to see this project succeed and become the best FTP Server on ANY platform. But, I am just voicing my opinion because i know the important ppl are around here somewhere (Linkster, and whoever else) and they will hopefully see this. They can try and predict what their customers are thinking all day long but if enough ppl share their opinion on the current status of this project and the Rumor that is going around about the subscription service, then inicom will know what their customers think of the situation.

However this is the wrong place for this discussion and i realize that so....

My question is "Can we have a new version with the login error message vulnerability fixed now?"
i've not heard the rumor about subscription-based service. and actually, pricing is one of those things that is up to me to decide. so if i'm not in the loop, it is a total rumor. i've several ideas about pricing, but nothing is going to change in the next couple months. but realize that if we're talking about changing the pricing model is it *because* the current pricing model is a factor in the attention we're able to give ioFTPD. i'm aware that we're not meeting expectations, so making changes of that sort would be so that we *could* meet expectations. *not* so we could wring more money out of you and walk away. :/

and to answer your questions, yes you can have a new release; if you allow me to work around other obligations in my schedule (tis the season...). late this week would be the earliest i can provide it. christmas day at the outside. this works?
_panic_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:55 AM   #77
ACiD
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

/me bows
ACiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:58 PM   #78
oslike

Hi Panic,

just a suggestion,

but maybe its a good idea to announce a date for the next release and just make it with what you got coded so far. I think this will make most people happy espcialy those who wait for small updates like that "login error message" one and it will show that there is progress. (How big the progress is, can be discussed on another peace of paper )

regards
os
oslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:22 PM   #79
_panic_
Ultimate Scripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oslike
Hi Panic,

just a suggestion,

but maybe its a good idea to announce a date for the next release and just make it with what you got coded so far. I think this will make most people happy espcialy those who wait for small updates like that "login error message" one and it will show that there is progress. (How big the progress is, can be discussed on another peace of paper )

regards
os
i think this is a good idea, *when* i transition to full time (paid!) work. until then my schedule will just be so unpredictable that i'm bound to disappont.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:54 PM   #80
_panic_
Ultimate Scripter

Quote:
/me bows
/me bows back

you've a new file that should fix this issue. version 5.8.7r.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:01 PM   #81
ACiD
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

Why thank you sir.

Already installed and Just verified the fix does in fact work. will provide feedback if i see any new bugs introduced.

Thanks again.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #82
_panic_
Ultimate Scripter

Quote:
Why thank you sir.

Already installed and Just verified the fix does in fact work. will provide feedback if i see any new bugs introduced.

Thanks again.
if you want to get really, really serious about testing it, there might well be subtle time differences between a valid and invalid user account.

it might be nice to see if you can detect invalid accounts by the difference in time it takes to display a return code when providing a valid vs invalid user. but then again the effect might be subtle and not detectable above the noise.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #83
mr_F
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

site swho crashes the daemon for me, reverted to 5.8.5r ... as 5.8.6r also crashes on swho for me. something must be fishy here, i have NO scripts interfering with the swho command.

is this just me?
mr_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 05:45 PM   #84
ACiD
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

I don't have any problems with "swho" at all. on a clean install of 5.8.6r i get problems with the "who" command but then i just commented out the who command in the .ini and i think i use ioA for the who command now.

But for swho everything is peachy
Old 12-24-2005, 05:51 PM   #85
ACiD
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

Quote:
Originally Posted by _panic_
if you want to get really, really serious about testing it, there might well be subtle time differences between a valid and invalid user account.

it might be nice to see if you can detect invalid accounts by the difference in time it takes to display a return code when providing a valid vs invalid user. but then again the effect might be subtle and not detectable above the noise.
Well im connecting to my server on the same machine it runs on and i also have a powerful machine so detecting little lags like that for me would probably be a futile activity.

But i did try it several times back and forth supplying different usernames and passwords and i couldn't see a difference.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:02 PM   #86
mr_F
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

hrmmm
this is a clean install i wonder why it's crashing...
Old 12-29-2005, 01:42 PM   #87
JoC
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_F
hrmmm
this is a clean install i wonder why it's crashing...
mr_F I think you got the same prob as many other. http://www.inicom.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15862
JoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #88
ArtX
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

dont know if this has been posted about but i did check but find nothing

when using 5.8.6r and someone tried to connect normaly - non ssl - and i have it set so all connections had to be ssl - they would get the msg

[L] 530 Your user class requires you to use secure connections.
[L] Connection failed

but now when i use 5.8.7r instead of that same msg it just says

[L] 530 Login failed: Invalid password.
[L] Connection failed

dont know if this is a little bug or something i have done - although its a clean install

i have tested this going all the way back to 5.8.4r and it seems only 5.8.7 does this - not major i know but thought i would bring it up anyway :P

btw - any update on when the little error when deleting dirs will be fixed

(looking back in this thread i think it may have already be reported in a diff way )

after i bit of messing about i have found it gives you the "invalid password" error no matter what error you may have - ssl - config
ArtX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #89
mr_F
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

perhaps panic decided to randomly delete a lot of important code?
i don't understand wtf is going on in this release.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #90
ArtX
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

i helped make an installer for glftpd with a lot of scripts - so i know how panic feels - one false move and you can knacker a lot of stuff you didnt mean too

there anything else you touched panic as site version dont work now - havent looked at all the other cmds to see if they work
ArtX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comments, report, status, weekly, wk0

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: