Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 08-31-2002, 01:33 PM   #1
fantasymick

Default Some suggestions...

1- Why hide passwords from yourself? I couldn't get back the passwords stored in my favorites in FlashFXP of private FTP sites. Luckily there is a utility that can "decode" the passwords. If this is a security feature, why not have a master password defined by the user that would reveal all passwords in "Site Manager" when needed?

2 - You log into sites in your site manager and you download your files, now if you change the "Site Name" field of the site currently logged in, all your downloads/queues would fail. Same if you queued files with a ftp with a "site name", and then change the site name of the same ftp, and start the queues, they would fail.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:34 PM   #2
Shark
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Default Re: Some suggestions...

1) This is already possible... I cannot remember which build this has been availble since, but its been a little while now. However to enable this feature you must set a password for FlashFXP site manager.

This can be done by going to the following menu's. Sites -> Security -> Set Password...

Once a password is set you can change the options so that you are able to see your site's password.

2) This option has also been requested, I think it has already been fixed or is on the to-do list. I can't remember off the top of my head which.

In anycase, I suggest you upgrade to the latest build and test these out..

Quote:
Originally posted by fantasymick
1- Why hide passwords from yourself? I couldn't get back the passwords stored in my favorites in FlashFXP of private FTP sites. Luckily there is a utility that can "decode" the passwords. If this is a security feature, why not have a master password defined by the user that would reveal all passwords in "Site Manager" when needed?

2 - You log into sites in your site manager and you download your files, now if you change the "Site Name" field of the site currently logged in, all your downloads/queues would fail. Same if you queued files with a ftp with a "site name", and then change the site name of the same ftp, and start the queues, they would fail.
Old 08-31-2002, 05:09 PM   #3
fantasymick

Call me stupid, I set a password, but I still don't see the option to see my site's passwords. Can you tell me how to do that? Thx.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:16 PM   #4
Shark
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Sites -> Site Manager (F4) -> General Tab ... and then check/tick Reveal (next to password)

Quote:
Call me stupid, I set a password, but I still don't see the option to see my site's passwords. Can you tell me how to do that? Thx.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:21 PM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Default Re: Some suggestions...

Quote:

FlashFXP was not designed strictly as a personal ftp client, people use FlashFXP in a multi-user enviroment and hidding the password is a must. Newer versions offer even greater security by password protecting the entire application. when password protection is activated you can freely view your passwords at any time.

Queue files are linked to sites in your Site Manager via their name, changing their name breaks the link.. The latest build of FlashFXP will auomatically update the loaded queue should you rename or move a site. If the queue is not loaded it will not be updated.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:55 PM   #6
fantasymick

Awesome, thx for all the help/replies.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:33 PM   #7
Grey

Default Re: Re: Some suggestions...

Quote:
Originally posted by bigstar
FlashFXP was not designed strictly as a personal ftp client, people use FlashFXP in a multi-user enviroment and hidding the password is a must. Newer versions offer even greater security by password protecting the entire application. when password protection is activated you can freely view your passwords at any time.
As it's currently configured, I have no master password set, and cannot view passwords in my Site Manager.

The options seem a little backward to me. If somebody really wants the security for a multi-user environment, they can set the Master Password which fully protects outside access to the Site Manager. However, this configuration allows passwords to be unmasked.

But anyone who doesn't want the security is not able to view their passwords. What's the point? Anybody who wanted to know my passwords could come along, set a Master Password, see my Site Manager passwords, then delete the Master Password. Since this configuration isn't secure to begin with, why mask them in the Site Mangager at all?

If you displayed Site Manger passwords for users who don't have a master password, wouldn't that make everybody happy?
Old 10-17-2002, 03:33 AM   #8
Shark
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Default Re: Re: Re: Some suggestions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Grey

The options seem a little backward to me. If somebody really wants the security for a multi-user environment, they can set the Master Password which fully protects outside access to the Site Manager. However, this configuration allows passwords to be unmasked.

But anyone who doesn't want the security is not able to view their passwords. What's the point? Anybody who wanted to know my passwords could come along, set a Master Password, see my Site Manager passwords, then delete the Master Password. Since this configuration isn't secure to begin with, why mask them in the Site Mangager at all?

If you displayed Site Manger passwords for users who don't have a master password, wouldn't that make everybody happy?
I wouldn't think I would need to explain it as it appears obvious... however ill attempt.

If you are concerned about security or people seeing your password you would just set the password when you install it. This is no concreate way to make everyone happy...

So the option was added that you set a password and change your short cut/command line to "Flashfxp.exe -pass=secretpass" that way you win both ways you can see the password in the site manager and dont have to enter a password..

You would have seen this if you searched the message board.

Anyway we are way off track from your inital questions and suggestions.. your ideas have been considered and no need for further posts, thread closed.

Tags
files, ftp, manager, passwords, site