Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 126 Category: FlashFXP Bug
Title: File edit window focus problems Status: Closed (Fixed / Implemented)
Severity: Minor Version: 3.6 Final

Telcontar
03-04-2008, 05:55 AM
File edit window focus problems

This isn't a serious bug, but I guess I should report it anyway. Normally when I right-click a file and hit Edit, the file opens in JujuEdit (via Shell > Open), but the odd file like .htconfig isn't mapped to anything and I get FlashFXP's internal editor.

There's a weird bug (Win2k only?) where once this opens, you're stuck with that window. If you click the main FlashFXP window's taskbar button, that window sends you back to the edit window! If you do get it back up, you then find that you can't get to the edit window, which keeps sending you back to the main window. It takes a few clicks on the bare taskbar and/or the buttons before it will actually switch window.

Of course, I can just create a file type in HKCR ".htaccess" and attach it to txtfile (same as I did with .htaccess) and get around this ... (Useful trick btw -- although .htaccess is not a valid filename, it's a valid extension and you can make it its own file type!)

Oh, and when the server disconnects you, the edit window for a local file shouldn't show a "disconnected" (grey) window icon, as you can't be disconnected from your own hard drive!
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
03-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Re: File edit window focus problems

The edit window shares its icon with the main program icon so if the main window is showing disconnect you'll see the same with the editor window.

As far as the focus problems I was under the impression that this issue was resolved, but I guess it wasn't
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
03-12-2008, 12:19 AM

Now that I am back I am able to test this behavior and see exactly whats going on and what I've realized is that this behavior intended. Once you close the editor window you will be prompted to upload the file.

The flow is like this
1. Select Edit File
2. Internal Editor displays the file content
3. You close the editor and then a prompt is displayed to upload the file.

This was done so that the internal editor behaved similar to external applications when editing files.
Telcontar
03-13-2008, 10:03 AM

I very much doubt that if you saw what my PC is doing, you'd say the same thing. It's very much a bug. It may be another problem with Windows 2000.

If it is deliberate, it's a pretty horrible way to design a program, though.

Fortunately it's only a problem for the odd file that Windows doesn't have an extension mapping for, e.g. extensionless UNIX files, or certain .files. It can be avoided by using the Explorer window for that local folder and the Explorer context menu, or the Explorer context menu via FlashFXP.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
03-13-2008, 11:05 AM

I think perhaps the confusing part is the fact that you can minimize the Editor window, in this specific situation minimize shouldn't be allowed. I'll change this..

There is an oddball focus behavior with the internal editor when viewing remote files and this has been corrected for the next release.
Telcontar
03-13-2008, 11:32 AM

It seems to be a problem with editing local files only.

When you select a local file, and right-click > Edit invokes FlashFXP's internal editor, it doesn't work right. By local file, we can rule out all sorts of weirdness about FlashFXP waiting for you to complete any process. This is just FlashFXP allowing me to edit a file that Windows doesn't have a map for, e.g. Apache .htconfig (Globat's special .htaccess name for HTTP Basic auth protection folder config.)

FlashFXP opens a text editor window, defaulting to maximised. If I restore it, I can now see the FlashFXP window. If I click in FlashFXP's main window, it focuses normally. If I click the taskbar button for the main window, I get bounced back to the text editor window, which regains the focus, but the main window's taskbar button is now selected! The Windows window manager is in an inconsistent state, with the selected taskbar button highlighting a different window to the focused one (Windows is really fragile this way).

If I click FlashFXP's main window taskbar button again, one-click-minimise kicks in -- the taskbar sees that you clicked an active button, so it minimises the FlashFXP main window, and restores the edit window's button to active state. Now, click FlashFXP's main window taskbar button a third time, and its window now comes up normally.

The same works in reverse if you get the FlashFXP window up, and try to switch back to the edit window.

There is no way that this is any sort of deliberate behaviour, because it's too ridiculous. It only works at all because Windows's window manager -- or the wreck that passes for it -- lets you have two windows focused at once, which you'll see if you un-maximise the edit window.

In fact, I tried Edit on a remote file, on a file type that Windows knows (.php) and I got FlashFXP's editor window instead of JujuEdit, the editor window was correctly made modal, and there are no bugs. It seems to be a local editor problem only, perhaps an artefact of the editor window not being made modal.

BTW, I believe that minimise should remain: it allows you to minimise the program with a modal window up. This is a valuable feature that everyone else could learn from (except Audiograbber, which already implements this, which is really great). Windows is a broken GUI, where a program cannot be minimised once a dialog is shown, and this is one way to cure it.

OK, that's odd. The remote edit feature uses the internal editor for txtfile, but the HKLM-assigned editor for FirefoxHTML. I guess this is a suggestion that the internal editor is not as broken as Notepad, and that no-one can possibly have mapped txtfile to anything but Notepad? That's why .php came up in the external editor, even though for me, .php -> txtfile -> JujuEdit. So FlashFXP bypasses my syntax highlighting, regular expression replacement etc. for PHP scripts.

Shows you how often I remote-edit files ...
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
03-13-2008, 12:42 PM

One thing you'll want to make sure is that the file pattern you add for viewing or editing is an actual mask like *.txt or *.php

All of my tests were done with remote editing, not sure why I assumed that it was remote.

Editing local is completely different than editing remote, though viewing works pretty much the same local and remote.

It would appear that local edits had the same bug that effected viewing.

Remote file edits with a modal dialog having the minimize button on the dialog does not minimize the entire application, only the editor window and you still have the flashfxp window visible and since the editor is modal you can't do anything with it. so i'm still going to disable minimizing.
Telcontar
03-13-2008, 12:53 PM

You're referring to the File Associations window here?

Local and remote are not consistent. I have no file associations defined, it's an empty window. I've left FlashFXP to default to Windows extension mappings, in that I've never gone near File Associations nor had any reason to.

For a local .php file, Edit goes HKCR\.php -> HKCR\txtfile -> JujuEdit. For remote editing, .php opens with the internal editor, for no reason. The two sides don't behave consistently. No idea why. But then, I never use remote editing, and since the local side works correctly, it's never bothered me.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
03-13-2008, 03:18 PM

Yeah I was for custom associations outside of the norm for the OS.

I can't really explain the actual file association oddity that you are experiencing. The same routine is used both locally and remotely for determining which editor should be used to edit the file.

If you're familiar with windows API we use ShellExecute() with open or edit depending on the situation.

I took a look at JujuEdit and the installer only adds associations to open files, not edit them, so any editing would default to FlashFXP.

Are you sure your comparing Edit to Edit and not View to Edit, or even Open.
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket