Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 72 Category: General / Unknown
Title: Corrupted interface buttons -> corrupting Sites.dat Status: Closed
Severity: Critical Version: 3.4.1 (Beta)

Unregistered
09-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Corrupted interface buttons -> corrupting Sites.dat

I installed flashFXP on french Vista, and the buttons are all corrupted (e.g. instead of 'Close' in Site Manager i get 'Close it)', and instead of 'New Site' I get 'ew site 6386!E'...) and it's like that on all buttons.

Worst of all it corrupts my Sites.dat by adding bogus characters so I can not use the program I paid for, at all.

I tried completely uninstalling, upgrading (trying on 3.4.1 b1197), it's still doing this.

What can I do?
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
09-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Re: Corrupted interface buttons -> corrupting Sites.dat

We've seen this problem in the past and it was caused by 3rd party applications using system-wide hooks.

This can be solved by locating the 3rd party application and updating it to the latest version or removing it from your system.

Depending on the amount of software installed on your system it might be difficult to determine exactly which program is causing the problem.

In the past we worked with a customer who reported similar problems and after extensive trial and error and many months of detective work we determined a similar problem with a program called UltraMon. I contacted the developer and they released a fix which immediately resolved the problem.

I believe there are several applications out there that will help you identify system hooks, I don't know of any off hand though.
Unregistered
09-30-2007, 06:05 PM

Okay, first of all, thanks for the very fast reply.

I looked for system-wide hooks in my setup and I found out the faulty one:

DigitalPersona Password Manager 2.0.1 for Vista.

It's hosted on the Microsoft website, since I have a Microsoft keyboard with fingerprint reader, which I use to open my sessions and for a lot of other things.

I uninstalled that software and there was no corrupted text in the interface buttons in FlashFXP.

I tried reinstalling (no new version unfortunately) and the error came back.

So I'm now *temporarily* running without that software. Needless to say I would love if you could get Microsoft/DigitalPersona to release an updated version of that software ASAP, since I use it as often as I use FlashFXP.

If you need more info do not hesitate to ask me.
DayCuts
09-30-2007, 06:47 PM

As a user of that particular software you should also contact the developers yourself to inform them of the compatibility issues it causes. They are possibly just unaware of the error. (or it may even already be fixed in a not yet released version of the software)
jtp10181
09-24-2008, 08:42 PM

This is still an issue, there is still no update to this software. Microsoft is not very easy to contact about bugs in a software app so small. No other programs on my system have problems, only FlashFXP. To me this seems to be a bug with FlashFXP.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
09-24-2008, 09:43 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, unfortunately due to the nature of this issue there really isn't much we can do. There isn't any way for us to prevent their application from interfering with the functionality of FlashFXP. More than likely there's a flaw in their software thats causing corruption you see in FlashFXP.

FlashFXP is a very complex application and its very hard to say specifically why FlashFXP is effected and no other program is, It could just be bad luck or it could be any number of things. Without knowing exactly what "DigitalPersona Password Manager" is doing to FlashFXP it can be any ones guess.
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket