Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Feature Requests Ticket Tools
ID: 352 Category: Functionality
Title: File Exists Rules For Transmission Error Status: Closed (Fixed / Implemented)
Severity: Medium Version: 4.x

Eternity
08-05-2010, 01:25 PM
File Exists Rules For Transmission Error

Hello,

I like the existing File Exists Rules feature. However, usually this is how I would decide whether to overwrite a file:
  • When initially starting a new transfer (possibly of multiple files), I may choose to Overwrite All, because I want to replace all the destination files with the ones I'm uploading.
  • If an error occurs during a given transfer (eg. disconnect), Flash FXP will attempt to reconnect. When connection is re-established, I want Flash FXP to Resume that file, not restart it from the beginning.

In other words, I would like to keep the current File Exists Rules when a transfer first starts, but then I would also like to have a separate set of File Exists Rules for when a transfer is trying to recover from an error.

The common scenario is you upload multiple large files on a flaky link, on a regular basis. The files already exist in the destination (and deleting them beforehand every time is inconvenient) so you want to overwrite them all; however, any individual error-retry will cause the Resume behavior for that particular file. When the queue moves on to the next item, it will overwrite it. If an error occurs on that file also, then Flash FXP should resume subsequent attempts on that file. And so on and so forth.

I'm not sure how feasible this is. I could imagine some kind of flag could be kept in the queue file to indicate whether the transfer has already started on that given file; if not, use the base File Exists Rules, and if it does, then use the secondary File Exist Rules.
08-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Re: File Exists Rules For Transmission Error

Would a single rule be sufficient for this situation or would there be a need to have separate rules based on the transfer direction (upload, download or fxp)?

Prior versions would always automatically resume in this situation but now that is not the case, which was not my intentions, Apparently this slipped through the cracks when the new transfer rule system was introduced.

the complexity of this issue will determine how fast I can get a new build with this implemented.
Eternity
08-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Re: File Exists Rules For Transmission Error

Hm... I guess I can't really think of a reason why we would need an entirely different set of rules, or special cases for FXP, upload or download. Something simple like this would probably work for most people who had this need (it would definitely work for me):

On Transfer Error:
  • Restart the file.
  • Resume the file.

The "Resume" option would of course follow the rollback option in the File Transfer Rules dialog (just making sure ).

Thanks Bigstar!