Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 918 Category: General / Unknown
Title: FlashFXP hangs during upload (with Windows 8.1) Status: Closed
Severity: Critical Version: 4.4

Geert51
12-01-2013, 04:12 PM
FlashFXP hangs during upload (with Windows 8.1)

Hi,

Since we have upgraded to Windows 8.1, FlashFXP does not work anymore for website uploads. It hangs with a full que and does not complete the upload action.

[R] STOR Kruiend ijs Hindeloopen 2.JPG
[R] 150 Accepted data connection
[R] 226-File successfully transferred
[R] 226 0.333 seconds (measured here), 297.50 Kbytes per second
Upload: Kruiend ijs Hindeloopen 2.JPG 99 KB in 0,34 second (99,1 KB/s)
[R] MFMT 20131130214331 /domains/leukekiekjes.nl/public_html/albums/17-Winter test/images/Kruiend ijs Hindeloopen 2.JPG
[R] 213 UTIME OK
[R] MLST Kruiend ijs Hindeloopen 3.JPG
[R] 550 Can't check for file existence
[R] PASV
[R] 227 Entering Passive Mode (89,105,197,196,139,34)
[R] Opening data connection IP: 89.105.197.196 PORT: 35618
[R] STOR Kruiend ijs Hindeloopen 3.JPG
[R] 150 Accepted data connection

hang ...

Version 4.4.3 (build 2027)

Under Windows 8 it worked fine.

Perhaps it is a Windows 8.1 bug, but you should have more knowledge about this than we have.
We hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards, Geert van der Meer

FlashFXP is licensed to:
Willie van der Meer
Single User License
<censored>
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
12-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Re: FlashFXP hangs during upload (with Windows 8.1)

This is a public bug tracker allowing anyone to read bug reports, never provide any confidential information in a bug report.

That being said I have removed the flashfxp serial # from your bug report.

We have had a couple reports issues with FlashFXP after upgrading to Windows 8.1.

Unfortunately we've been unable to reproduce the problem on any of our test machines.

If you're interested in assisting us with testing and trying development builds please contact me directly using the contact us link.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
12-05-2013, 12:39 PM

I have sent you a private message regarding this issue.
bigmartin79
01-02-2014, 02:15 PM

I made an account just to chime in on this issue. I have been using Flash FXP for a long while now. Worked perfectly on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Last week I made the jump to Windows 8.1 Professional 64 bit and FlashFXP is basically unusable for me.

When uploading a file it constantly hangs as the OP mentioned. I also get the issue where even listing a directory will not load.

Also seems like the only way to break it out of the "derp snap" it gets into is to completely disconnect, clear the queue and re-connect fresh.

Let me know if I can provide any details to help narrow this down (or try any settings). I am in IT and deal with complex programming related support issues so I know it's hard when something can't be recreated but I have a hard time believing this isn't a common place issue since I've had this issue since I started using it on a fresh install of windows 8.1 pro 64 bit (with windows firewall disabled).

Don't you just love microsoft? lol

FlashFXP Version 4.4.3 build 2029

Thanks for the program, up til now I have been enjoying using it, although I will need to find a temporary replacement until this gets ironed out.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
01-05-2014, 12:09 PM

Without a doubt this issue is probably the most bizarre issue I have seen in a very long time.

There are many people reporting problems with FTP with Windows 8.1 and its not just FlashFXP, most FTP clients are having problems uploading.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/db3793a6-2810-464c-af9a-522b05f51ba9/windows-81-and-ftp-problems?forum=w8itprogeneral

https://forum.filezilla-project.org/...hp?f=2&t=31331

Many reports are blaming WinInet which was updated for Internet Explorer 11 but not all FTP clients use WinInet. FlashFXP does not and these issues are not directly related to the WinInet problem.

I suspect that maybe the problem might be related to the default networking configuration on Windows 8.1 however I have not been able to reproduce the problem, this leads me to believe that maybe there are some hardware factors as well.

My theory is that Windows 8.1 uses some new networking logic/behavior that may not be 100% compatible with all network devices routers/firewalls/switches and this is causing some unusual and unexpected problems.
bigmartin79
01-06-2014, 03:11 PM

Hmm very interesting. I noticed FlashFXP says its using winsock on start up. I updated my network drivers from the ASUS website among with some other drivers etc, however issue still remains.

When I tried it out, I was able to upload a new file ok one time but everything I tried after that got hung up.

I did try Filezilla out and I happened to actually have a problem with that as well where it was hanging during an upload with like 90% uploaded (thus breaking my source code). CuteFTP trial seems to be working ok but man everything else is sucky compared to FlashFXP.

Anything I can provide to help?

The FTP server I'm connecting to is running Pure-FTPD on a Linux server running Centos 5.10.
bigmartin79
01-07-2014, 01:29 PM

Unfortunately I had to revert back to windows 7 as FTP is a critical part of my job. So I won't be able to provide any details on my win 8.1 circumstances.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
01-12-2014, 11:33 AM

I have tested Windows 8.1 locally on a couple different sets of hardware as well as in virtual machine without any success in reproducing the problem. This leads me to believe it might be related to the network driver/network card, and/or possibly any hardware between the PC and the internet.

For the record this problem is not related to the wininet.dll update from IE 11 that is causing problems with other ftp clients. FlashFXP does not use this library interface for FTP.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
01-13-2014, 09:21 AM

We need your help.

Please help us by generating a bugreport (crash dump) within FlashFXP and emailing it to support at flashfxp com or via the contact us link, you need to be signed in in order to submit long messages via the contact us link, otherwise it might be rejected due to the length.

To generate a bug report please follow the following steps.

1. Start FlashFXP
2. Hold down the shift key on the keyboard and then from the main menu select Help > About.
3. Click the "Save bug report" button and save it to a file.
4. Send us the bugreport.txt file.

For those of you who have already submitted a crash dump and been in contact with me, I thank you for your assistance.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
01-29-2014, 10:13 AM

Microsoft released a update roll-up for Windows 8.1 on jan 14th that addressed several issues.

Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update rollup: January 2014
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2911106

Two of the fixes included in this roll-up caught my eye.
    FIX: TCP connections that use ephemeral loopback addresses are dropped suddenly in Windows
    You cannot connect to FTP servers through a Wi-Fi hot spot
Now it appears that this update is optional and not automatically installed by Windows Update.

Installing this update *might* resolve the problem with FTP uploads, can anyone confirm that this update does in fact resolve the problem?

Thank you
mescie
01-31-2014, 05:52 AM

I've just installed the latest updates from Windows, but Im still having problems with uploading files.
Just send in a bug report, hope it helps.

Edit:
Not sure if this is accurate for TS aswell, but Im having the same issues, but only with small files.
Bigger files upload just fine, but anything rougly below 100kb just wont upload. It takes several retrys before its actually uploaded.

This topic was about the same issue and shows as resolved, but I think its the exact same problem?
https://oss.azurewebsites.net/forum/tracke...cker_bugid=913
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
02-02-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
This topic was about the same issue and shows as resolved, but I think its the exact same problem?
https://oss.azurewebsites.net/forum/tracke...cker_bugid=913
Most likely this is the same issue, but its unclear to me why some users still experience this problem while others do not.

At this point its a complicated mess with no obvious solution to the problem.

We're still trying to figure out exactly what's going on and what causes this problem but it is quite a mystery to us, clearly Microsoft made some sort of breaking changes in Windows 8.1 but no one seems to be clear on exactly what they did or why its happening.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
02-08-2014, 10:09 PM

For those of you still having this problem please try the following update and let me know if it helps

http://update.get.flashfxp.com/4.4/F...2032_Setup.exe
mescie
02-10-2014, 07:28 AM

Looks like this update fixed it, have been testing it all day and havent had a single problem!
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket