Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 107 Category: General / Unknown
Title: 2 Features Status: Closed (Fixed / Implemented)
Severity: Minor Version: 3.5.3 (3.6 RC 3)

JGOe2s
01-28-2008, 06:36 AM
2 Features

Hi,

I'm testing out flashfxp as a replacement for FTP voyager, since that one is buggy from time to time.

Still I have a request that would make our life a lot easier:

Saving the client certs option also for quick connect.
It would be great if I could paste in another IP in quick connect and that it would use the client cert I used for the previous logon. Currently it seems not to work and it also seems to forget I used a client cert (when I enabled it via site manager)

We are having a lot of different servers and we use certs as a uniform way to connect to the ftp servers. So a quick method for supporting this would be highly appreciated.

A second less important one: Some kind of synchronize option for websites would be nice (default local dir and default remote website with sync button so that newer/changed files are uploaded)

I hope to hear from you.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
01-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Re: 2 Features

The quick connect feature is designed to be a stripped down version of the Site Manager with limited features. Unfortunately this feature didn't make it. We may add it in the future but as of right now there are no plans to add more options to the quick connect.

We plan on adding some sort of method to only transfer modified/changed files down the road but we're still trying to work out all the details, the biggest problem is that not all ftp servers are equal and some provide better support for this than others.
JGOe2s
01-30-2008, 05:00 AM

Too bad, would it be so much effor to at least remember the cert when it was taken with site manager ? (Quick connect branch in site manager)
So that if afterwards other ip/hostnames are pasted into quick connect the cert is remembered ?
So in short: no config in quick connect, but taking the cert into account when was specified in site manager quick connect.

Too bad otherwise, not so many ftp clients seem to work well and also support this. It would certainly be an advantage for us to have this in flashfxp this way.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
02-04-2008, 01:03 AM

When you change the ip/port of a selected entry in the quick connect a new entry is created, so if you set a client cert via the site manager it wouldn't use it for the new information.

We could probably make it so when selecting the "Quick Connect" folder in the site manager the user would be able to configure the default values for all new quick connect entries. I'm not 100% sure if this is a viable solution but its the only way I can think of doing it right now.

I can put this on my todo list for future development if this might work for you.
JGOe2s
02-05-2008, 10:12 AM

That sounds better already.
Although that it should not take the cert when a server without certificate is selected.
I dont know if it's possible to somehow detect if it should give/use the user cert or not.

We are connecting to a lot of our own servers + some additional 3rd party servers.
So if it's possible to still distinguish between those via normal quick connect it would be great!
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
02-05-2008, 07:24 PM

You know that's something I didn't consider. It would actually give out the cert to every site and that could be an issue. There really wouldn't be a good way that if it were going to be an issue. It would pretty much defeat the propose of a personalized default.
JGOe2s
02-06-2008, 04:23 AM

Well I made a picture with 2 possible options that would suit me very well:

Option 1 would be more than sufficient. But I included option 2 so you can look which of those 2 is easiest to implement.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
02-06-2008, 06:12 AM

I'll put this on my todo list and I'll revisit your suggestion just as soon as we get v3.6 out the door. v3.6 has been finalized and after one more round of testing we plan on an immediate release.

To get a better understanding of how you use FlashFXP could you give me an idea of why you prefer using the Quick Connect for adding these type of sites over the Site Manager?

As I mentioned in a previous reply the Quick Connect was intended to be a stripped down version of the Site Manager with limited functionality, though now I can clearly see where having the client certificate on the Quick Connect is necessary for some connections.
JGOe2s
02-06-2008, 06:58 AM

Well say server is named SERVER123, and we previously visited SERVER456.
Both servers have the same info (port, SSL, client cert).

We just want to launch flashfxp, paste/type SERVER123 over the previous server (SERVER456)we visited, so that we can logon to it with the previous info.

Because we have multiple servers and randomly want to pick (new) servers without maintaining a whole list we would like it in quick connect.

And besides that we have some other servers too, that require other info.
The copy/paste or type over servers from before make it very easy and fast to connect to the same sort of servers with previously used information&options

We're very thankfull that you want to add this feature.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
02-06-2008, 06:55 PM

I decided to test this scenario because after some brainstorming I realized what you were trying should of actually work provided you set the client cert at least once via the Site Manager for the Quick Connect entry you're modifying.

There is a problem where the field isn't read when the entry is loaded via the Quick Connect and that causes the field to be ignored completely.

I've corrected this bug and the good news is that you'll be able to take advantage of this change in v3.6 final once its released.
JGOe2s
02-07-2008, 02:50 AM

That's also a good solution than. It's certainly sufficient for what we'll use it.

I saw indeed that the field wasn't remembered
If I can set it once with site manager quick connect.
Than the times after I can use the simple copy and paste into quick connect method.

Btw can you tell me when you have a beta/RC with this feature included ?
JGOe2s
02-07-2008, 04:17 AM

btw something off-topic

If you have people whining about X64 support.
Some reasons why you would not care at all:

1. For this type of application there would be no gain to have an X64 version.
You're not calculating with very large numbers and even than you'd need to make serious changes to your code and not simply compile it for x64. But this is not the case forget about it.

2. We are using X64 windows for at least 2 years now, all 32 bit applications we use are running just fine. Normal applications can continue to be fine for easely the next 4 years and very likely even much longer since windows x64 has full support for it.
The only applications that actually require to be compiled for x64 are drivers and other kernel code. Or for example scientific applications that use very large numbers would make a gain in calculation speed.

3. Even internet explorer is 32 bit by default on X64, simply because most active x components, adobe flash player, etc do not exist yet in x64 format. IE 32 bit on x64 is doing fine here for 2 years and longer.

So if anyone asks again for x64, you have plenty of reasons to not really worry about for the next coming years. Only things in theory that perhaps could go faster is SSL. But that is no real issue since there is enough power for simple file downloads/uploads. I'm not sure if the openssl library is already fully optimized for x64 , even with x64 bit compile.
JGOe2s
02-08-2008, 06:15 AM

I've corrected this bug and the good news is that you'll be able to take advantage of this change in v3.6 final once its released.

Is there a test version available where you've corrected that bug ?
Would be great!
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
02-08-2008, 02:02 PM

I have given you beta access so that once the release is available you'll have access to download it via the customer portal.
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket