Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Feature Requests Ticket Tools
ID: 704 Category: Functionality
Title: Prevent Windows auto sleep/hibernate/ shutdown while FXP is running. Status: Closed
Severity: Medium Version: 4.x

oalex
04-28-2012, 01:41 AM
Prevent Windows auto sleep/hibernate/ shutdown while FXP is running.

First thank you for a great software, one of the few I was happy to pay for.

In Widows energy saver setting, one can configure it to turn off the windows if there is no (mouse/user) activity for X minutes.

I personally like to use the above function so as no to forget my PC on all the time. Saves energy and PC lifespan.

My problem however is that if I leave Flashfxp running/downloading and the above function is set in widows, it shuts off the PC and stops the download half way.

I would like to request a feature that can be selected in the options to "keep alive" / "prevent standby" / simulate user activity and prevent PC timed shutdown while FlashFXP is running.

You know, its somewhat similar principle that video player use to prevent screen saver from turning on while a movie is running.

FYI: Yes, I am aware of the current function in FXP that can autoshut down PC when download is complete. However its not the same issue. I dont use FXP all the time, so I cant rely on that function to shut down my PC.

So you understand the problem clearly. What I have to do now to achieve my goals is.
a.) when not using FXP then I am free to setup times windows shutdown in energy saver.
b.) when FXP is running then I have to remember to disable the timed shutdown in windows.

So as you see, its a stupid back and forth that could be simply solver by the requested feature.

Many similar programs have such feature already.
For example, maybe you have heard of uTorrent which is a free torrent client. It has such and option that if selected then prevents Windows auto-shutdown while uTorrent is running.

See example:

Thank you!
Alex
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
04-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Re: Prevent Windows auto sleep/hibernate/ shutdown while FXP is running.

FlashFXP already does this automatically while transferring the queue, but only if supported by the operating system.

We use the SetThreadExecutionState API with the flags ES_SYSTEM_REQUIRED and ES_CONTINUOUS
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

I have tested this on Windows 7 and it worked for me on my laptop.

If its not working for you I can investigate the issue further but as far as I can tell it is working correctly.

What version of Windows are you using?
oalex
04-28-2012, 02:53 PM

Hi.

Thank you for your fast reply.
I wasn't aware that you had this already implemented. I Use Win 7 too and I definitely remember my windows shutting off even during download if untended.
I will try it again not to see if it was just me having it all wrong.

I will start to download something big and set the PC to sleep at 5 mins. I will get back with the results.

Cheers
Alex
oalex
05-01-2012, 06:04 PM

My bad. You are correct it is working. I dont know why I got the impression that it wasn't.
Thanks mate.
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket