Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 621 Category: FlashFXP Bug
Title: incomplete downloads when using proxy Status: Closed (Not a bug)
Severity: Major Version: 4.1 stable

dumdidum
12-05-2011, 08:52 AM
incomplete downloads when using proxy

Hello,

Occurs on v4.1.6. (1673) and some prior to that.

Unfortunately i dont have old versions to test them - are they somewhere to download?

The problem appears to me like the reported fix in the 4.1.1 maintenance release history:

"Fixed an issue with plain text FTP downloads being incomplete (missing the last few bytes) under heavy disk i/o."

just that it does happen with binary mode and only when using a proxy server (and to my observation regardless of the disk I/O usage). So same behaviour as mentioned in the fix: there are often (every 2-3 files) some bytes missing. When i download the same file again it sometimes adds the missing bytes and sometimes not. When using direct connection (no proxy) it always downloads fine. A side effect of the "missing some bytes" problem is, that it also downloads incomplete dirlistings and i have to reload the dirlisting several times in case it appears to be empty or incomplete. Quite a hassle to use FlashFXP with that problem.

Thank you in advance for checking it out.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
12-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Re: incomplete downloads when using proxy

Hello,

Thank you for your bug report.

When connecting to a site via a proxy in FlashFXP, what type of proxy are you using?

Are you using a local or remote proxy server?

If you know, whats the name of the proxy server software?
dumdidum
12-06-2011, 09:46 AM

Hey,

i use a local proxy on our network. (We have 2 internet gateways, one beeing faster so its usually used as the proxy server.)
The host runs squid on linux afaik. I sometimes accidentally use the proxy in flashfxp through a VPN (UDP) network from my home to the office too and that used to work fine (but has the same problem now).
The proxy is (and was when it was still working in flashfxp) configured as #4 (http proxy).

All other programs i use have no problem whatsoever with the proxy server and still deliver good crc and complete downloads so i assume its somehow a flashfxp problem.

regards
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
12-06-2011, 03:22 PM

Are you connecting to the sites using FTP or FTP SSL?

Do you have transfer speed limiting enabled?

I reviewed the fix for "Fixed an issue with plain text FTP downloads being incomplete (missing the last few bytes) under heavy disk i/o." and I don't think this is related, since the problem occurs with directory listings as well.

If there is no error in the status window then this would lead me to believe that perhaps the socket is being closed before all of the data is read by FlashFXP.

When the server (or in this case proxy server) sends all of the data to the client it sends a signal to indicate this and closes the connection on its end. FlashFXP will then read all remaining data before closing the connection in its end.

For some odd reason it would appear that maybe the connection is being closed prematurely. I am trying everything I can to reproduce this behavior but thus far I have not been able to.
dumdidum
12-07-2011, 05:15 AM

Hello,

thank you for caring for my problem.

The connection i use is TLSv1 encrypted and i have no speed limits enabled.

I intensivly checked the status window output today and found no error reported. The output is exactly the same as on the files that get downloaded correctly. When i connect again to the same server with no proxy enabled i can continue downloading the missing bytes with no problem and the files are fine after that.
I would assume that the proxy server is the problem but i am using other programs downloading thru the same proxy and they never have any problems or crc errors. (I check them with a crc checksum to be sure for quite a while.)

regards
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
12-07-2011, 09:50 AM

I sent you a private message with a test build.
dumdidum
01-11-2012, 08:55 AM

Hello,

i am sorry for not posting earlier, but i was on holiday.

I am also sorry (although only partly ) that i now have to inform you that the error is not on the flashfxp side.
Your notice about the incomplete packages hinting of a proxy problem was sent by me to the administration here but i didnt know the result until i came back now.
As it turned out, the proxy was somehow faulty and is now repaired. Now the problem in FlashFXP is also gone. Yay!
What still confuses me tho is that other download programs seem to avoid that problem by completing the down- and uploads themselfs even with the faulty proxy so that it appeared to me that the problem is on the flashFXP side.

Thank you anyway for your time!

Regards
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket