Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 959 Category: FlashFXP Bug
Title: FlashFXP version: 5.0.0 (build 3756) [RC 2] - High CPU load with TLS transfers Status: Closed
Severity: Major Version: 5.0.0 RC 2

Feejus
08-10-2014, 04:16 PM
FlashFXP version: 5.0.0 (build 3756) [RC 2] - High CPU load with TLS transfers

Hi,
I recently run into an issue with the latest RC2 version of the Flashfxp 5.0.

FlashFXP version: 5.0.0 (build 3756) [RC 2]
Operating System: Windows 8.1 x64

Symptom:
When connecting to an vsFTPd 2.3.5 server while downloading over TLS at maximum speed about 5Meg / sec ( I have not tried a other servers) i get over 15 - 20% CPU utilization on a core I7-2600k. This is also noticed by high fan sound.

I tried the latest official version of the software and noticed that this issue does not occur at all with FlashFXP version: 4.4.4 (build 2046).

Can you please investigate this matter. Also if you would like more information or u need me to record the behavior don't hesitate to let me know.

Thank you
Essa
essa.moshiri
08-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Re: FlashFXP version: 5.0.0 (build 3756) [RC 2] - High CPU load with TLS transfers

I got the same issue.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
08-11-2014, 03:16 AM
Re: FlashFXP version: 5.0.0 (build 3756) [RC 2] - High CPU load with TLS transfers

Is this only a problem with FTP/TLS transfers?

Have you tried normal FTP transfers?
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
08-11-2014, 03:23 AM

Also make sure your TCP/IP Buffer Size is set to default or auto.

From the main menu, Options > Preferences > Connection > TCP/IP buffer size

If the buffer size is too big (over 128 KB) it can result in excessive cpu usage.
essa.moshiri
08-11-2014, 04:56 AM

Hi Bigstar
First thank you very much for the quick response on my bug report. I installed the FlashFXP as default installation and no configuration have been made. I also checked this, and it is currently set to auto. Would you recomend to change this to 128kbit instead?

Thank you
Essa
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
08-11-2014, 05:23 AM

In that case no.

What anti-virus and/or firewall software are you using?
essa.moshiri
08-11-2014, 05:44 AM

Hi Bigstar
I am using TrendMicro Officescan 11.0.1454 latest patch. However it is important to note that the issue with the High CPU utilization does not occur with 4.4.4. 2046. It works perfect without any issues. In fact i have used 4.4.4 for downloading content from the ftp. No Firewall is enabled on the PC or Officescan.

Thank you
Essa
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
08-12-2014, 04:41 PM

Are you downloading files over a LAN or the internet?

Are you using SSL compression? There would be a compression icon next to speed limit/secure icons on the statusbar.
(Can be enabled globally and/or per-site)

Do you happen to know the FTP server software?
essa.moshiri
08-12-2014, 05:12 PM

Hi Bigstar,
Here is answers to your questions.

Are you downloading files over a LAN or the internet?

Answer: The download is over Internet.

Are you using SSL compression? There would be a compression icon next to speed limit/secure icons on the statusbar.
(Can be enabled globally and/or per-site)

I did not even know you could enable compression but you learn something new, Answer here is it is off. The icon you mentioned is grayed out.

Do you happen to know the FTP server software?
Yes, based on the response from the server i get in FlashFXP i have following response.
Reply With Quote "[R] 220 (vsFTPd 2.3.5)". Assume it is vsFTPD.

Again please let me know if there is any other information you might need.

Thank you
Essa

Update: Might have found the issue or bug.
As the matter of the fact I had both version 4.4.4 and version 5.0 running on the same PC, the other thing i did was when i installed 5.0 i used shared settings and pointed it to the same directory as the version 4.4.4 settings folder. I am wondering now if that has had an effect.

Now i have uninstalled both 4.4 and 5.0 RC2 and tried it again and it seems to be running in a decent 2-3%. I will also do some further test and analysis and will provide you an update over the coming days.
essa.moshiri
08-13-2014, 04:41 AM

I can 100% confirm that the issue is now gone.

The way i achieved this result is as follows.

# export my bookmarks etc
# Uninstall FlashFxP 5
# Uninstall FlashFxp 4
# remove the folder and the settings so everything is clean
# Now install the FlashFxp 5.0 RC1 followed by RC2

Run a number of download and no indication at high CPU speed. Please close this case.

Thank you
Essa
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket