Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 928 Category: FlashFXP Bug
Title: Local Browser - Paste short cut Status: Closed
Severity: Minor Version: 4.4

dedomil
01-20-2014, 06:50 AM
Local Browser - Paste short cut

Hi,

in local browser don't work keyboard short cut Ctrl + V. Before working but now in latest version I must use mouse and then right click / Explorer Menu / Paste. I think this problem start in date when be this "option - paste, paste shortcut...) moved to Explorer Menu...

FlashFXP: 4.4.3 (Build 2031)
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
01-21-2014, 12:44 AM
Re: Local Browser - Paste short cut

While Ctrl+V is the common shortcut used by Windows Explorer, This shortcut does not provide the same functionality in FlashFXP.

For over 10 years now Ctrl+V has been the shortcut for View File.

In order to try and accommodate both operations in the local browser sharing the Ctrl+V shortcut we came up with a compromise, if no items are selected in the file listing then Ctrl+V will execute the paste operation, however if an item is selected then the operation becomes "View File" although this command only works on files. So if a folder is selected nothing occurs.

I am not aware of any behavior changes, aside from the compromise we added a few years ago of allowing Ctrl+V when no items are selected.

Off the top of my head I don't recall any versions ever having a "paste" directly on the default right-click menu.
DayCuts
04-08-2014, 11:48 PM

Hi bigstar, I noticed this as well quite some time ago but have had no time to comment about it.

While the compromise makes sense as the difference between CTRL+V and ENTER is that CTRL+V will (i assume) check the flashfxp file association options, it could do with some tweaking to make it more intuitive.

When navigating in the local browser within flashfxp the default selection varies. When entering into a sub folder that default selection is 'parent directory' and flashfxp counts this as a selected item. When navigating upwards the previous directory is the default selection and this is also counted as a selected item (obviously).

My suggestions would be...
1. The 'Parent Directory' item in the local browser tree should not count as a real selected item (it currently does), ctrl+v should therefor function as a paste operation and not view file.
2. Since the internal ctrl+v behavior for flashfxp is limited to viewing files (not directories), it may be more intuitive not to count any directories in the selection checking at all. This would mean that the windows standard ctrl+v behavior for pasting would always take precedent when navigating the local browser unless the user takes action to select one or more files (this action is already necessary since ctrl+v does nothing under other circumstances).

Note to dedomil: There is no need to access the explorer menu, simple ctrl+deselect the parent directory item or click some place out side of the listed items (which will deselect all).
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
04-09-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayCuts
My suggestions would be...
In FlashFXP v5.x the behavior works like this and has worked this way for some time now.
I do believe everyone is happy with the changes, so far no complaints.

If nothing, the parent directory or a folder is selected ctrl+v will paste.

If a single file is selected it will view file.

And of course a multiple selection it will do nothing.
DayCuts
04-09-2014, 01:40 PM

Great, I have also not had time to try the 5.x betas yet (as I use flashfxp every day time must be set aside for anything with potential compatibility changes). I was not aware that the 4.x stream had finished since there was a new build just the other day.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
04-10-2014, 08:21 AM

For the past year I've focused on v5 and limited v4 updates to minor bug fixes and security updates, most changes come from back porting changes from v5.

FlashFXP v4 and v5 can be installed side by side with complete isolation between the two, v5 will offer to import your settings and sites from v4 on first run, from there the two are completely independent of each other.

The v5 program and data files are stored in a new location and will not interfere with v4.
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket