Project: FlashFXP Feature Requests Ticket Tools
ID: 302 Category: N/A
Title: copy queue to multiple servers Status: Open
Severity: Minor Version: N/A

e-vix
09-16-2009, 09:23 AM
copy queue to multiple servers

I'd like to request a feature.
It would be nice if I could copy a queue over from one server to another. My situation is as follows:
We've got a website that's running loadballanced on 8 servers.
Right now when I perform an update on the site I have to manually copy the files to all 8 servers. It would be great if FlashFXP could get a feature so that I can queue the files on 1 server, and then copy the queue over to the other 7.

For now I've found a workarround for this. I simply create a queue on 1 server, then export it to a file, open it up in a text editor, duplicate the queue 8 times changing the target server in the process. I then save the file and import the queue back into FlashFXP. This works perfectly, but having an option in FlashFXP that can do something like that for you would be great.

This feature would work well for servers that have the exact same path layout. I can imagine that some users would want to upload to several servers that have a different path layout. In that case you could think about giving the user an option to either duplicate the queue using exact paths, or duplicating the queue with paths relative to the home directory specified in the site manager.
Super Duper
MxxCon
09-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Re: copy queue to multiple servers

instead of editing your queue in an external editor, you can use shift-queue to queue up same file/dir multiple times
then just edit existing queue items to point to new servers
09-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Re: copy queue to multiple servers

A few years ago I started developing a scheduling / power tool that did exactly this, unfortunately the company that was interested in the product changed its mind about 3 months into development (was code named FlashFXP Pro Tools) and the product was never completed.

Provided all servers share an identical folder structure then the easiest way to do this is to make the queue for one site and then save it, then load the queue again, you'll end up with the same queue twice, selecting only the duplicate entries right click and select Edit from the popup menu. You'll be able to change the target server from site 1 to site 2.

This is easier than opening the file in the text editor which might lead to some other problems.

I can think of an easier way to do this if the queue had a feature to Copy To (maybe in the Advanced menu) where you would first select the queue entries from the list and then select Copy To and then you'd be prompted to select a target site and finally they're added to the queue with the selected site as the target. Of course the folder structure would need to be identical. Would be very simple to code, not sure how usable it would be or if anyone would have a practical use for it.
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket