Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 229 Category: FlashFXP Bug
Title: Slow scrolling Status: Closed
Severity: Medium Version: 3.7.2 BETA

Whissi
08-21-2008, 05:18 AM
Slow scrolling

Hello,

I use a mouse with a fast scroll wheel (Logitech MX Revolution). When I use that wheel in FlashFXP, FlashFXP reacts very slow.

I spin the wheel and stop it immediately for example. In other applications (Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat, Windows Explorer) the application will recognize, that I stopped the wheel. But FlashFXP scrolls down and down...
Super Duper
MxxCon
08-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Re: Slow scrolling

What OS?
What mouse driver version?
which part of the interface are you scrolling?
08-21-2008, 07:41 AM

Mouse driver: Logitech SetPoint v4.60.122
Interface:
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
08-21-2008, 01:17 PM

Not all mouse drivers handling scrolling the same way, some will send their own custom messages to the window to be scrolled and it will scroll, sometimes the mouse driver must be able to recognize the window class for this to work.

Others drivers use the standard scrolling events which are interrupted by FlashFXP to handle the scrolling. FlashFXP reads the values from the mouse settings such as how many lines to scroll per turn. There is no stop event for this so scrolling doesn't stop until the number of turns * number of lines to scroll has been reached.
Whissi
08-21-2008, 01:23 PM

Because scrolling in the log panel ("status window") is working fine, and just the "explorer" panels seems to have that problem (local/remote browser; queue list) I think it must be a problem related to that control.

Other programs, like FileZilla, which uses comparable controls, don't have that problems.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
08-21-2008, 02:39 PM

The status window and the explorer list window both share the same scrolling events and code. The scrolling results should be identical for both, since they're not I'm betting its the mouse driver treating them differently.
Whissi
08-21-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstar
The status window and the explorer list window both share the same scrolling events and code. The scrolling results should be identical for both, since they're not I'm betting its the mouse driver treating them differently.
So you are not going to do anything?

I can only repeat myself:
Applications like Word, Excel, Outlook, Windows Explorer, Firefox, Thunderbird, FileZilla... don't have such a problem.

Microsoft has changed their API, to support such new devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSDN
The wheel rotation will be a multiple of WHEEL_DELTA, which is set at 120. This is the threshold for action to be taken, and one such action (for example, scrolling one increment) should occur for each delta.

The delta was set to 120 to allow Microsoft or other vendors to build finer-resolution wheels in the future, including perhaps a freely-rotating wheel with no notches. The expectation is that such a device would send more messages per rotation, but with a smaller value in each message. To support this possibility, you should either add the incoming delta values until WHEEL_DELTA is reached (so for a delta-rotation you get the same response), or scroll partial lines in response to the more frequent messages. You could also choose your scroll granularity and accumulate deltas until it is reached.

Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms645617.aspx
I can only suggest to check that for your control.
Maybe you order such a new device, like the Logitech MX Revolution (which has such a freely-rotating wheel), than you will see, it's not a driver problem.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
08-22-2008, 05:19 AM

I didn't say it was a driver problem necessarily, but rather the way the driver handles different types of window classes. Similar issues have come up in the past.

The wheel code does take WHEEL_DELTA into consideration and handles it as outlined in the MSDN.

Clearly there is something different about how the mouse driver handles the scrolling otherwise both windows would scroll in an identical fashion. keep in mind both controls share the same scrolling code but the results are different.

I don't think a "Logitech MX Revolution" would do me much good, I'm left handed and it doesn't look like its designed for people like me.
Super Duper
MxxCon
08-22-2008, 07:02 AM

I have MS Intellimouse explorer 4.0 with clickless tilt wheel and scrolling is fine in all parts of flashfxp.
08-22-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxxCon
I have MS Intellimouse explorer 4.0 with clickless tilt wheel and scrolling is fine in all parts of flashfxp.
Sorry, but the MS IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0 is not such a device. Only the new Microsoft mice series, the Microsoft Wireless... are such new devices or the Logitech one.
Super Duper
MxxCon
08-22-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whissi
Sorry, but the MS IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0 is not such a device. Only the new Microsoft mice series, the Microsoft Wireless... are such new devices or the Logitech one.
are you telling me which features mouse I'm using right this moment have and does not have?
logitech mouse has a completely free rotating wheel where as ms one is initially tight but can be worked out to be as loose. both are clickless wheels.
08-22-2008, 10:03 AM

Sorry, I don't know how I should explain that.
Trust me please, there is a different:

Try a Microsoft Wireless Laser mouse with "High Definition Laser Technology" or a "Logitech MX Revolution" with the speed wheel function.

If you read http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...s/130&cl=us,en -> Product tour; you will notice, that a Microsoft Wireless Laser mouse with HD technology is different from the Logitech one with speed wheel.

But both series have problems in FlashFXP...
X3
08-27-2008, 05:18 PM

Ive only one thing to say about laser mice tech and its not good, My wife used to require a high precision mouse for autocad work so I got her one just as espensive and the drivers made it impossible to handle, it jumped it moved by itself and basic performance was rubbish...

yeat another 2.4gHz device amongs the millions in a fast becomming overcroweded frequeency and susceptible to evry bit of interference if I ever noticed anything that bad laser tech mice are it, even wireless optical are just as bad...

best over all a good old wired optical mouse that never fails never skips nevre needs some flaky drivers that I never recommend anyone to use and thats my piece.

$99 or $9.99 I take the $9.99 mouse optical and corded thank you

and BTW I design as well and I found it as useless as a chocolate tea pot...

Bug with FFXP absolutlely not... as soon as I plugged the oled laser I experience the same as you so take my advice if you will get shot of it and get something proven and reliable.

of course its a "free" society and you do what you like at the end.

As official beta tester I declare this a non bug.

On a side note Microsoft owns Logitech
09-13-2008, 01:23 PM

I just ordered a new MS mouse that uses "High Definition Laser Technology", It should arrive sometime next week. I'll post back with my results.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
09-17-2008, 04:27 PM

My MS mouse arrived today and it works great, The scroll acceleration works in every window of FlashFXP.

I think we need to consider that its a problem with the logitech drivers.
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket