Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 264 Category: General / Unknown
Title: FlashFXP Closes Status: Closed (Fixed / Implemented)
Severity: Minor Version: 3.7.8 BETA

davidhg
03-22-2009, 12:44 PM
FlashFXP Closes

When in Flash FXP, v 3.7.8 Build 1331 BETA, i have a ftp connected to in one window and my desktop in the other. When i click and drag a file from my desktop side of Flash FXP to the ftp side, Flash FXP closes when i release the mouse button.

I have done some testing and discovered it does not matter if a ftp is connected to or not. The file type being dragged doesnt matter either. The common factor i see is that i one side of Flash FXP viewing my desk top and dragging a file from that side to the othr closes Flash FXP to close.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
03-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Re: FlashFXP Closes

This is a known issue. Unfortunately the existing ticket regarding this issue was lost in the server crash.

This issue only occurs on some installs of Windows and we haven't been able to come up with a solid explanation.

What we do know is that this error only occurs when dragging to the "desktop" folder, other folders do not experience this issue. It might be a security issue in Vista but we're not sure why FlashFXP is closing due to it.

There's actually two ways to access the desktop folder in FlashFXP
\Desktop
\Drive\Users\<user name>\Desktop

You could try each one and see if it makes a difference.
You You can also try right-clicking on the file/folder and queue/transfer via the right-click menu and see if that works or not. I can't remember if it does.
cybermatic
09-15-2009, 06:04 PM

I have this exact same issue under Windows 7 using version 3.6.0 build 1240.

I have a multiple display setup - desktop on one, FlashFXP on the other. If a drag a file directly from the desktop over to the FlashFXP that is connect to an FTP server, it crashs as soon as I let go of the mouse button.

Extremely annoying!!
cybermatic
09-20-2009, 09:24 PM

Well, I've finally switched to SmartFTP. This bug has been around for a "loooong" time - I would have to say well over 12 months. For it not to be fixed by now, esspecially considering it's software we pay for is a little disapointing.

When the problem is fixed, I might switch back.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
09-21-2009, 01:32 PM

This issue is still pending, I do not have a machine that can reproduce the bug so I am pretty much at a stand still.
PeterBe
12-09-2009, 06:27 AM

I can confirm this bug, it has been bothering me for quite a while as well. I've done some basic investigation of the causes of it.

Firstly, next to numerous floating point exceptions nothing serious shows up in a debugging tool. When running FlashFXP under a debugger the problem does not occur either, I'm perfectly able to copy files to- and from the desktop, even when I run the program as the user "Peter". Running the process in a debugger obviously increases the process' rights, so that got me to think about the new Vista/7 security model.

One thing that might be a cause for this, referring to the earlier comment pointing out that the desktop had several directories that could be used, is that the file might indeed be created in the wrong directory. The Windows API has a special function to figure out the Desktop's absolute directory path: SHGetSpecialFolderLocation. I'm unaware of FlashFXP's directory browsing implementation, but it might be an option worthy to look at.

Code:
LPITEMIDLIST pidl;
char szDesktopPath [_MAX_PATH];
LPITEMIDLIST pidl;

SHGetSpecialFolderLocation (hWnd, CSIDL_DESKTOPDIRECTORY, &pidl);
if (SHGetPathFromIDList (pidl, szDesktopPath))
{
        // absolute desktop path now is in szDesktopPath
}
My guess would be that Vista doesn't give the CreateFile call enough privileges to read- or write anything on the user's Desktop. FlashFXP closing suddenly makes me think that the file pointer is being used without a check to see whether it's valid (thus creating an exception, unhandled - program shutdown). A temporary fix for this, either to add debugging information or to stop FlashFXP from shutting down when this occurs, would be to check the file pointer after the fopen/CreateFile/whatever opening function you use and check whether the handle it valid. If it's not, this bug gets triggered. My suggestion would be to display an error box, possibly including the result from the GetLastError syscall.

I'm not fully aware of FlashFXP's ELUA in terms of using debugging programs to search for problems, please excuse me if I violated anything. I'm not doing this for any personal gains or benefit, it's simply a bug which I think is quite annoying.
Colin
01-13-2010, 05:04 AM

I can confirm having this issue as well, on Windows 7.

It only happens when copying from /Desktop/, not when copying from /Users/Colin/Desktop/
reecer
02-04-2010, 01:39 AM

I can confirm this bug on Windows 7. Quite frustrating hoping for a fix in the next version!
Colin
02-04-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecer
I can confirm this bug on Windows 7. Quite frustrating hoping for a fix in the next version!
This seems to be fixed in the next version.
cybermatic
02-04-2010, 04:47 AM

Although the fix is good news, I bailed quite some time ago and went with SmartFTP. Unless there is a free/very cheap upgrade option, I will be staying with SFTP for the time being.

Good news none the less though.
reecer
02-04-2010, 08:29 AM

Yep, can confirm this is fixed in the latest BETA. I believe the way the directory is handled for the desktop has changed.
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket