Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Got a new idea or addition which would benefit IOFTPD? Post it here!

Old 03-31-2003, 01:40 PM   #1
Ap0llon

Angry We Want Gui!

Sup y'all
This is rather a question than suggestion for dark0ne
I know a whole bunch of people,including myself who are still
stuck with raiden (although they know for a fact ioftpd kicks raiden's ass) for only one reason: NO GUI. I mean c'mon,this is WINBLOWS users you are dealing with.GUI is like oxigen here.
I'm sick of seeing in the screenshots section "Although ioftpd doesnt have a gui yet,this is one of our future developments... blah blah..." for months now.You try to fix lots of insignificant
performance bugs all the time,but the realy big one,lack of GUI
remains not fixed.You want the popularity of your software to grow 10x instantly? GET A GUI! You can start by replacing that annoying msg from screenshots section with ETA
Ap0llon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 03:21 PM   #2
eso-
ioFTPD Registered User

uh, there is a few.... you can use the HTTP interface | SShot that Dark0n3 made (whish is built into ioFTPD)or you can use this one:

ioMONITOR
http://membres.lycos.fr/akumasai/softs
THE FILE YOU NEED FROM THERE IS iom2rc4.zip
| SShot here
eso- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 03:55 PM   #3
Pichento
ioFTPD Registered User

No we dont want GUI. We want a slick efficient daemon. If you cant GUI, simply use another win-based ftpd.
Pichento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 04:45 PM   #4
-=DoBBeR=-
ioFTPD Registered User

I also wanted a GUI for ioftpd in at first, but now after using it for a few months I realize how much more in control I am using configfiles instead of a lame gui..
-=DoBBeR=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 04:46 PM   #5
NeoRanga

Http interface is much better than gui, it's the configurable gui and can be used from any place with connection, can you wish anything better?
NeoRanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 05:39 PM   #6
-Dobe-

yes something like this:
http://masa.makes.it

it does not support io yet but it should in the near future.
i think it's the best ftp admin prog for gl sites!
-Dobe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 05:58 PM   #7
SomeoneWhoCares_2

Default Re: We Want Gui!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ap0llon
I'm sick of seeing in the screenshots section "Although ioftpd doesnt have a gui yet,this is one of our future developments... blah blah..." for months now.You try to fix lots of insignificant
performance bugs all the time,but the realy big one,lack of GUI
remains not fixed.
do u really believe these types of comments are gonna make someone such as dark0n3 go out of his way to please some stupid n00b such as yourself?

and in regards to the GUI, speak for yourself, I for one could care less for a gui , i think the http admin interface seems very promising, and that the need for a gui is not essential but maybe just icing on the cake, and we all know icing makes you fat, do u wanna be fat Ap0llon? ...normally once your site is setup then thats it, no further use for a gui would really be required, although realtime monitoring/spy on users would be nice like in serv-u or g6..but not critical.
SomeoneWhoCares_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 06:36 PM   #8
zpr
ioFTPD Foundation User

/callvote gui 0
zpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:20 PM   #9
jeffw

If it's a freeware, Non-Gui no problem
if it's a shareware, developer better make a gui

/me prefer non-gui.
jeffw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 08:05 PM   #10
ffsj

GUI is such a nightmare! GUI = poor performance.Strongly support no GUI!
ffsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 03:45 AM   #11
-Dobe-

one way to do this is to make a new executable for the GUI and have some sort of process comunication with the existing ioftpd. that way everyone gets what they want.
-Dobe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 07:07 AM   #12
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by -Dobe-
one way to do this is to make a new executable for the GUI and have some sort of process comunication with the existing ioftpd. that way everyone gets what they want.
One could create something like this over telnet interface.
Anyways, what comes to gui; there won't be such thing built-in. (ehh.. how many times do I need to tell you that?) I'm a network programmer & I have no experience on designing GUIs.

Idea of ioFTPD was never to replace products such as Serv-U/G6 - there are plenty of "easy to use" consumer ftpds already. ioFTPD is alternative product, to users who are seeking something different.

Ps. I'm fully aware that not everyone is capable of using notepad; those users don't belong to our target market segment - so worry not.
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:48 AM   #13
zpr
ioFTPD Foundation User

amen
zpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:33 PM   #14
Ap0llon

Lightbulb Argh

eso- : seen it,tried it - thats not it thx for the help effort tho

Pichento : Speak for yourself,i know at least dozen of people besides me who want gui and im certain there are many more.Us

wanting GUI does not mean we cant use command line,only means
we like GUI better.

SomeoneWhoCares : "do u really believe these types of comments are gonna make someone such as dark0n3 go out of his way to

please some stupid n00b such as yourself?"

No,i just know dark0ne is way smarter than you are to be affected by the way i said it and
i did not expect him to go out of his way to "please" anyone,its a suggestion how to make
the software better because given how long its been since the beginning of development and the fact that there is still no

gui makes me think that darkone is underestimating the significance
of it for most people.
As for the stupid n00b thing - i've been trading since you were in diapers,literally.When you were learning ABC,i was

configuring tcl scripts for gl...
So,next time when a looser like yourself feels a need to insult someone to make himself feel better or whatever else reason -

i suggest you go bone a goat or whatever that is you do to relieve that mental stress

darkone: Im a coder myself,and my Uni major is networks (besides software design),so please
dont draw conclusions that someone is an imbecile just for wanting GUI
About what you said on the "target market" - do you really want your software you put so much
time into to be only for limited choice of crowd? I mean if home users are able to use it too (and small businesses),
it'll be much more popular,not to mention that those folks are the ones who might actualy pay for it

"Idea of ioFTPD was never to replace products such as Serv-U/G6 - there are plenty of "easy to use" consumer ftpds already.

ioFTPD is alternative product, to users who are seeking something different."

PLEASE - replace em :P
Ap0llon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 06:30 PM   #15
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Default Re: Argh

Quote:
Originally posted by Ap0llon
eso- : seen it,tried it - thats not it thx for the help effort tho

Pichento : Speak for yourself,i know at least dozen of people besides me who want gui and im certain there are many more.Us

wanting GUI does not mean we cant use command line,only means
we like GUI better.

SomeoneWhoCares : "do u really believe these types of comments are gonna make someone such as dark0n3 go out of his way to

please some stupid n00b such as yourself?"

No,i just know dark0ne is way smarter than you are to be affected by the way i said it and
i did not expect him to go out of his way to "please" anyone,its a suggestion how to make
the software better because given how long its been since the beginning of development and the fact that there is still no

gui makes me think that darkone is underestimating the significance
of it for most people.
As for the stupid n00b thing - i've been trading since you were in diapers,literally.When you were learning ABC,i was

configuring tcl scripts for gl...
So,next time when a looser like yourself feels a need to insult someone to make himself feel better or whatever else reason -

i suggest you go bone a goat or whatever that is you do to relieve that mental stress

darkone: Im a coder myself,and my Uni major is networks (besides software design),so please
dont draw conclusions that someone is an imbecile just for wanting GUI
About what you said on the "target market" - do you really want your software you put so much
time into to be only for limited choice of crowd? I mean if home users are able to use it too (and small businesses),
it'll be much more popular,not to mention that those folks are the ones who might actualy pay for it

"Idea of ioFTPD was never to replace products such as Serv-U/G6 - there are plenty of "easy to use" consumer ftpds already.

ioFTPD is alternative product, to users who are seeking something different."

PLEASE - replace em :P
I'm not underestimating the demand for a GUI. However development team that consists of one coder (me), so it's not possible to please everyone. At the moment my main concern is the people who have already paid: None of them expected ioFTPD to get a real GUI (I hope) - but there are still quite a few of the promised features missing (where the most noticable are missing httpd features)

Once these original goals have been met, I might reconsider addin a GUI along with other suggested features (such as shared userbase, win9x support, and so on) - but until then, I expect you to understand that it's not humanly possible for me to include everything you request... I'm not trying to increase demand with empty promises / too high expectations. Therefore I will say NO, to every request that both majority of users (registered) and/or I find unneccessary.

Ps. Please stop bashing each other. So far I haven't used moderator priviledges to remove anyone from these forums, and I really would like to keep it that way (I understand that people, including me , are getting frustrated when these same questions are asked over, and over again... instead of spending hours browsing dictionary to find the most insulting word you can use to mock people, advice them to use search)
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blah, gui, ioftpd, screenshots, section

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: