Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Got a new idea or addition which would benefit IOFTPD? Post it here!

Old 03-18-2003, 04:13 AM   #1
Farch

Default installer

I tnink that is a great ftpd but it need to be simple You can add an installer to you tool like a NSIS 2.0 (http://www.nullsoft.com/free/nsis/)
it`s very small, opensource and he can do a live update to you tool.(it`s added only 250-300 kb to you project) I think this is very important in you state of development. Also you can include a docs by Zer0Racer

If you don`t have time i can do it for you.
Farch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:27 AM   #2
phoenixfr

don't need any installer .......
phoenixfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 10:32 AM   #3
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Default Re: installer

Quote:
Originally posted by Farch
I tnink that is a great ftpd but it need to be simple You can add an installer to you tool like a NSIS 2.0 (http://www.nullsoft.com/free/nsis/)
it`s very small, opensource and he can do a live update to you tool.(it`s added only 250-300 kb to you project) I think this is very important in you state of development. Also you can include a docs by Zer0Racer

If you don`t have time i can do it for you.
Afak. using such installer isn't possible for the registered version (Installation package will be built by server)
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 10:30 PM   #4
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

Quote:
I tnink that is a great ftpd but it need to be simple
Would have to disagree on that...
It's not always possible / better to make things simple... In this case, making ioftpd installation 'simpler' would, I think, lure un-initiated users to io, thinking it's a cool new ftp daemon.. and it even got an installer... why not try it out! Well, managing and configuring isn't that easy... And probably never will when u have so much options...

As Dark0n3 said on a couple of occasions, io isn't targeted at the same market share as g6 or serv-u... So I'd think taking time to 'package' io, in order to bring more 'noobies' (no disrespect intended here to anyone!) to io, would be a waste of efforts... Including the efforts of all the ppl who idle in #ioftpd to answer io-newbies questions. Keep 'em informed guys!! eheh

That said... That's just me...... (and a partial quote from dark0n3!)
Mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 03:32 AM   #5
Zer0Racer
ioFTPD Scripter

I totally agree with Mouton on this one.

It's not good to make something as advanced as ioFTPD look simple. It might take some knowledge and configuration to get it to work just the way you want. But then again.. it's very easy to get the ftpd running for i.e. transferring files at a LAN party or whatever, just set the VFS up, login, chmod a upload dir (if needed) and add a couple of users. Done! It's almost too easy, but at the same time it's a highly advanced network application.

ioFTPD's performance is impressive! Just the other day I wanted to transfer a couple of big files between two XP-machines on a 100Mbit LAN. I downloaded the 4.6.2u set the ftp root to where the files were, ran ftp.exe from the other machine and started transferring the files. I can tell this much.. the speed was a constant 11583.8kB/s! Intel PRO100 nics and Dlink switch, default buffer settings in ioFTPD btw.

And to say something about n00bs.. I started using ioFTPD in October 2002. Much has happened since then, ioFTPD has become even more advanced and tons of new features has been added. If you are a fast learner (like myself, no longer a n00b I would say) it doesn't take much effort to become familiar with anything in ioFTPD. I used the trial-n-error method alot at first to learn how the commands worked etc. Due to ioFTPD's very very very fast development and the lack of documentation I started to write down everything I could think of that is useful to know when setting up and using ioFTPD. If you read the documentation, beginning to end, a couple of times you see it contains quite alot of information. A little too much information for your average n00b it seems. And as both Dark0n3 and Archimede had told me "it doesn't matter how well everything is documented, you always get alot of questions". That is very true.

I write too much I know.
Zer0Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 01:33 AM   #6
dcZ

/me agrees with Mouton also.

What would an installer be needed for anyway? To add a link in the start menu and put in a directory automatically? Just unzip the package
dcZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
added, important, installer, project, state

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: