Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Got a new idea or addition which would benefit IOFTPD? Post it here!

Old 10-21-2002, 07:21 AM   #1
CruNcH

Default Output Speeds

Hi ..

First of all 2 thumbs up for this great project. darkone .. u did a great job in that short period. I've tested the new 3.4.2beta and I think it's great. Like GOD EMPEROR already predicted there will finally be a windows alternative for glftpd.

There's just one lack in relation to Raiden that matters to me. I couldn't test it on LAN so far but over the Internet I mentioned a slower download speed from an ioFTPD server than from a Raiden Server on the same Machine. ioFTPD had a third of Raidens Output. I'm no coder so I still can't explain why Raiden has such good outputs compared to all other Windows FTP Servers I tested. But I guess darkone is aware of that fact and I hope this will be optimized in coming versions
CruNcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 02:15 AM   #2
phrode
ioFTPD Registered User

Hm.. im experiencing the complete opposite than you, io is way faster than raiden on my box.
phrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 02:48 AM   #3
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Default Re: Output Speeds

Quote:
Originally posted by CruNcH
Hi ..

First of all 2 thumbs up for this great project. darkone .. u did a great job in that short period. I've tested the new 3.4.2beta and I think it's great. Like GOD EMPEROR already predicted there will finally be a windows alternative for glftpd.

There's just one lack in relation to Raiden that matters to me. I couldn't test it on LAN so far but over the Internet I mentioned a slower download speed from an ioFTPD server than from a Raiden Server on the same Machine. ioFTPD had a third of Raidens Output. I'm no coder so I still can't explain why Raiden has such good outputs compared to all other Windows FTP Servers I tested. But I guess darkone is aware of that fact and I hope this will be optimized in coming versions
Problem you've encountered is usually caused by the client. For some reason most of windows clients are using very high socket buffer sizes, which is causing unexpected slowdowns, very high loads (on client side) when server is using smaller buffer. Solution: make sure you haven't 'tweaked' windows socket system in any way, see if there is an option to decrease buffer sizes in client, try another client.
You could also post your machine specs, connection type and speeds that you're getting with io. (So I can be sure that problem isn't with the code ) Next release will contain far more windows optimized socket code (It's currently designed to be portable to unix - which makes it somewhat inefficient.. but still it's odd that you get lower speeds than with raiden )

Ps. I will enable settings for send and recieve buffer in next beta release.
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:19 AM   #4
CruNcH

Yea sounds pretty cool m8

Any solution for this would be very much appreciated.
So if it helps here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 850 MHz, 256 MB SD-RAM, GeForce2MX, 2x30 GB IBM HD's /7200 rpm), 100 MBit LAN Card connected to the ADSL-Modem
Connection: ADSL (768 Kbit dn / 128 Kbit up) direct connection, no router.
Used FTP Client: FlashFXP
Download Speed from Raiden: 90 kb/sec
Download Speed from ioFTPD: 30 kb/sec

I'll try out your advices with the client and the buffer sizes. Hope it works

Thx a lot !
CruNcH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download, ftp, great, ioftpd, raiden

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: