Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

ioFTPD General New releases, comments, questions regarding the latest version of ioFTPD.

Old 12-18-2004, 05:21 PM   #1
Beastlee

Default Duplicate entries in Listings (RAID)

Hi,

I've been trying out ioFTPd for a few days now and have found it's features to be excellent.
As an registered owner of Raiden I really liked the RAID facility as I have multiple HDDs and need to merge the folders.

in some cases I have a folder within part of the exisiting structure that I want to merge with another folder on a different HDD but with the same name. When I do this I get another instance in the directory listing for the same item.

Example vfs :
"E:\Default" /
"G:\MP3s" /Media/MP3s
"I:\MP3s" /Media/MP3s

On the E: drive I have a structure that follows "E:\Default\Media\MP3s"
By adding in the other 2 virtual entries I get 2 instances of MP3s showing within the Media folder. This is the case for any subdirectories that may occur also. Ie. singles, albums etc. It doesn't matter which one you select as both take oyu to the same subfolder listing. It would seem all that is needed is to remove duplicate named entries as the directory is listed? Are you aware of this problem and, if it's not something I can fix, is it something that will be covered in a later revision?

With Raiden this does not occur, it merges the 2 folders seamlessly. I would really like to use ioFTPD, as I have a few connection problems when using Raiden, but would prefer to get this tidied up before I completely remove Raiden.

Thanks for any advice.
Beast
Beastlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

Does the "MP3s" directory exist in "E:\Default\Media"? If it does, remove it.
neoxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:39 PM   #3
tuff
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Scripter

you could try mounting /Media before mounting /Media/MP3s
Old 12-19-2004, 05:40 AM   #4
Beastlee

YEs the folder does exist, it contains the MP3s that have been fully tagged and have covers. The other 2 entries are for incoming MP3s and ones still to be processed. I can't remove the exisiting folder as it holds MP3s within it and I need the other 2 foldrs on other drives for the space.

I believe I have found some info on it at this thread

http://www.ioftpd.com/board/showthre...hlight=vfs+bug

I really think it would be worth adding the 'collision' checking as there are lots of people who are using a similar format. It surely can't make that much difference to the efficiency to note if a folder name is listed twice?

Beast
Old 12-19-2004, 06:51 PM   #5
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

Not likely to be changed, because darkone is an optimization freak (I mean that in a good way) - which is why ioFTPD is much more efficient then competing products.

What you could do is move the "E:\Default\Media\MP3s" directory to "E:\". Make sure that the directory "E:\Default\Media" still exists though. Your .vfs file should be as follows:

Quote:
"E:\MP3s" /Media/MP3s
Note: "RAIDed" directories should be read-only (i.e. for archiving purposes). Support for uploading to RAIDed directories is quite limited at this time, and most scripts don't support it.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:40 PM   #6
smurf

I'd like to second Beastlee's humble request.

Please add recursive mergeing of raided dirs... it would be really nice to have the same clean dir listing as with Raiden! <=|
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:49 AM   #7
mr_F_2

there is nothing clean about raiden's systems. imo these are more logical.

i have

d:\mp3s
and
e:\mp3s

linked together into
/mp3s

by means of

"d:\mp3s" /mp3s
"e:\mp3s" /mp3s

works fine, so can you somehow do it that way?
mr_F_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 02:21 AM   #8
smurf

Mr_F: I agree with you, ioFTPD system is much more logical.... what I mean is, R****n lists merged dirs in a cleaner way (no duplicate dirs). I would much rather use ioFTPD if the dup. dir issue could be resolved.

The problem for me is that I have this kind of file structure (left a bunch folders out):
Code:
D:\
+\apps
  +\cg
  | +\2d
  | +\3d
  | +\compositing
  | +\reference
  | +\textures
  | +\tutorials
  +\...
  +\system

E:\
+\apps
  +\cg
  | +\2d
  | +\reference
  | +\textures
  | +\tutorials
  +\...
  +\system
raiding the apps folders in the following manner creates lots of duplicate dirs:

"D:\apps" /apps
"E:\apps" /apps

So...
1) is there some workaround?
2) will 'dont-list-duplicate-dirs-checking' be added? (please!) <=)
3) or do we have to use that #$%@£ R****n server?

Thanks in advance
/Edit: sorry for the long post =\
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:23 AM   #9
Harm
Too much time...
Ultimate Scripter

If you really want raided drives, you could consider hardware (or software since MS provides it) RAID.
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 11:33 AM   #10
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by smurf
The problem for me is that I have this kind of file structure (left a bunch folders out):
Code:
D:\
+\apps
  +\cg
  | +\2d
  | +\3d
  | +\compositing
  | +\reference
  | +\textures
  | +\tutorials
  +\...
  +\system

E:\
+\apps
  +\cg
  | +\2d
  | +\reference
  | +\textures
  | +\tutorials
  +\...
  +\system
raiding the apps folders in the following manner creates lots of duplicate dirs:

"D:\apps" /apps
"E:\apps" /apps
I don't see why you have things set-up that way...
Why is there a 2d directory on two different drives ? ie why not put, for example, all 2d on D: and all reference on E: ?
Having those on two drives doesn't seem to make sense to me... On local PC, you'd have to check both dirs to find something..?

ioFTPD isn't a RAIDing software. It's a FTP daemon (and soon a HTTP deamon). If what you want to do is RAID, there's plenty of avail solutions for you, including free one(s)...

As for ioFTPD dev (dark0n3) changing the raid support, you (or we for that matter) won't know if or when that will happen until it does.

So, long answer short: ioFTPD don't do what you want, and nobody knows if it ever will.
Mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 11:37 AM   #11
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

Default Re: Duplicate entries in Listings (RAID)

Quote:
Originally posted by Beastlee
Example vfs :

On the E: drive I have a structure that follows "E:\Default\Media\MP3s"
By adding in the other 2 virtual entries I get 2 instances of MP3s showing within the Media folder.
The duplicates comes from the fact that you have an explicit definition of /Media/MP3s and an implicit one (E:\Default\Media\MP3s).
To fix, simply move E:\Default\Media\MP3s outside the root (E:\Default) and mount it explicitely, like so:

"E:\MP3s" /Media/MP3s
Mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #12
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

Eh? Isn't that exactly what I said a few posts ago?
Old 12-20-2004, 03:05 PM   #13
Beastlee

THe problem is that by moving the folders out of the existing structure ruins the clean layout of the folders.

The reason there are 2 folders of the same name was explained :

The first folder (in the existing structure) contains those files that are completed.
The second folder on a different HDD ( sharing with DVDs etc) is for incomplete files.
The third folder on is on another HDD (just MP3s) and is for incompleted files.

Folders 2 and 3 are on separate drives due to space limitations. Whilst I would love to have them all in one place I would need to sell 2 HDDs to buy one bigger single HDD which wouldn't take long to fill either, resulting in the same problem.

I have alread mounted some folders within Win2K3 but it only allows drives to be mounted in empty folders which isn't possible here.

I would use software/hardware RAID but MS stuff is highly unreliable and hardware (with RAID on-board) is already in use.

It doesn't matter to me that I have to look in 2 folders on local system, it's easy to see ith. I just want it to be cleaner for those people on the outside accessing via FTP.

I just wanted to be able to do what I already do. Instead of having to move everything around for 'efficiency'.

I take on board what you have said and will wait to see if my requirements are met before continuing with what otherwise seems to be a fantastic bit of software.

Beast
Old 12-20-2004, 03:45 PM   #14
thunk

/ redundant

Last edited by thunk; 08-15-2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: none
thunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:49 PM   #15
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

Well whining about the problem won't fix anything either, as Mouton nicely put it:

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouton
As for ioFTPD dev (dark0n3) changing the raid support, you (or we for that matter) won't know if or when that will happen until it does.

So, long answer short: ioFTPD doesn't do what you want, and nobody knows if it ever will.

Tags
/media/mp3s, duplicate, entries, folder, raiden

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: