Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

ioFTPD General New releases, comments, questions regarding the latest version of ioFTPD.

Old 12-05-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
mr_F_2

[Mod: in reply to http://www.ioftpd.com/go?4337]

i don't see the point in creating a 'standard' for zipscripts. that's just like building the ultimate zipscript, in which case we'd only need 1 of them, instead of making many bad ones bump up to the standard.

i say we're better off starting an open source zipscript that multiple developers can work on instead.
mr_F_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:26 PM   #2
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

You're free to go ahead and start a open-source zs and try to get developers to work on it etc.
This is not related.
If you're not interrested / don't have anything constructive to add to the actual topic, please restrain from posting.
Mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
mr_F_2

what I said was constructive and I think puts forth a valid argument:

what's the point of making a standard of zipscripts? if all need to comply to a standard then their is no point in having more than one.

Do you not agree?
Old 12-05-2004, 07:44 PM   #4
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

mr_F: Software standards do not necessarily mean that any product that abides by them will be the same. It is simply a set of guidelines and rules to ensure compatibility and that the required features are present (zip/sfv support, post delete, rescan etc.). Consider it as an RFC for 'zipscripts'.

Personally, I think it sounds like a good idea. However, I will reserve my judgment until Mouton's draft/proposal is finished.
neoxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:48 PM   #5
mr_F_2

IMO there is already a standard : CRC32.
this is all that a zipscript needs to include. after that everything else is bells and whistles
Old 12-05-2004, 09:32 PM   #6
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_F
this is all that a zipscript needs to include. after that everything else is bells and whistles
Do you disagree just for the sake of arguing?

CRC32 is a basic checksum algorithm; perhaps you are referring to “Simple File Verification” (SFV), which utilizes CRC32.

An add-on, which only verifies a file’s integrity, based on the CRC32 value from a SFV file, would be called an “SFV-Checker” in my opinion. A “zipscript” is an entirely different concept with an entirely different feature set (zip/diz files, completion tags, upload statistics and so on). The actual classification of what defines a “zipscript” is quite opinionative, which is why this standard may be a great idea - to outline the necessities and requirements in “zipscripts”.

Unless you can persuade thousands of people to ditch the zip/diz combination, in favor of rar/sfv, you are out of luck. There are many obvious reasons why this switch would be a great idea, but customary and habitual routines are difficult to change. Even then, zip/diz support would still be required for backwards compatibility - as there will always be people who refuse to adopt change.

Any who, this is my last irrelevant reply.
neoxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:44 AM   #7
mr_F_2

correct me if i'm wrong, but even *.zip checking is crc32.
whatever, i put my 6 cents in and obviously it's moderators vs. "the guy who is obviously stupid because he doesn't agree" so i'll stop replying to this thread
Old 12-06-2004, 09:25 AM   #8
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_F
So the only script you use on ioFTPD is a script that checks the CRC of received files, and tells you if they are good or bad ? It doesn't rename them if they're bad ..? Or tell you if you received all files index in the .sfv/.diz file ?
*Even* if you really are using a crc-checker, like Neo said, it's not what most users use or would call a Zipscript.
A ZipScript, for most users, keep tracks of who sent the files, how long it took to send them, makes tag directories to indicate the level of completion of a sfv file, etc.
If you don't use all that, then good for you, that's way less trouble. But most people do, and for them (and me), having a standard that would state exactly what a complete Zipscript should do, would be something good.
If, after the standard is written down, a team of programmers want to implement it and create 'the ultimate zs' like you say, then fine.
I personally won't program a single line of code.
I tried to start a project once, to create a distributed user system; something many people still want. Nobody volunterred.
I would guess trying to start a project to create a zipscript, something that everybody already has, won't be much more sucessful.
Mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:01 PM   #9
Ren

how about just creating a ultra fast and ultra stable zipscript instead of filling it with bloatwhere useless zs functions like imdb lookup's etc
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:17 PM   #10
esmandil
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Ren, do you volunteer?
esmandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:21 PM   #11
gurken

Sounds like a great idea to me and I'm willing to contribute to it.

BTW Mouton, if you still want to do that shared db project, count me in. I think I've learned enough stuff to be a useful contributor now.
gurken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:51 PM   #12
SnypeTEST
ioFTPD Scripter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ren
how about just creating a ultra fast and ultra stable zipscript instead of filling it with bloatwhere useless zs functions like imdb lookup's etc
good idea. although those things are optional in most zipscripts
SnypeTEST is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad, bump, making, standard, zipscript

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: