Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

ioFTPD General New releases, comments, questions regarding the latest version of ioFTPD.

Old 01-27-2004, 05:26 PM   #1
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Default Dear Mr Pirate

This is a response to personal rant, you may decide to skip this post...

I just finished reading your review of servers. And I do agree to certain extent that ioFTPD might not be the best server to run your site off. For average user, there are better free alternativies.

Original ideas was to write a portable daemon with gl-like features for scene. Ever since the beta2, the main focus has been on performance and scalability. Many things that windows could provide with its' APIs, are written by hand to ensure that daemon performs as expected under extreme conditions (timers, ini reader, job scheduling, ...) If you don't like the idea that I'm spending most time rewriting the existing code, you can always use the alternativies whose developers are writing new code.

I'm breaking compatability with existing scripts & new issues arise in every major release?
I guess when you registered, you missed the fact that ioFTPD is still a beta product. And while it's beta, there will be changes that will break compatability with existing applications. I have done my best to keep developers updated, however it's not always possible. Did I already explain that I'm spending most time on rewriting, which is what usually causes the problems? Do not update when major update is first released, if you want to avoid problems. Instead, wait a few days - week.

If you haven't noticed daemon is not even being advertised for the great majority of internet users Google for ioFTPD, and you'll find that ioFTPD is not being advertised on any shareware site. For average internet user it's nearly impossible to even find the site.

Board?
I do agree that board needs moderation, badly. Sometimes discussion is getting way offtopic. However, our board is one of the most popular ftpd related discussion board - aerage ~70posts per day. Finding someone to read daily all that, isn't easy.

Mouton?
He has done more than anyone else, to help me with this project. He's the guy I get in touch, when something on the site goes wrong, or when I need a new feature added to registration system, ..., and he does it for free. Before you start flaming around on public, you should look for all the facts.

Scripts?
Absolutely noone forces you to pay for scripts you use. It doesn't take a magican to find a scripter that writes unique scripts for your site, and it all usually costs just couple of leech slots - no money involved.

Documentation?
I agree, there should be a message somewhere saying: no documentation provided.

Future releases?
Sure go ahead, do as many as you want. Release each, and every version of the daemon. I'm sure everyone here will appreciate causes of your actions.

Paragraph devoted to you
When you grow up a little bit, you understand how immature your action was. Threatening and swearing won't get you any further with your cause. Instead of doing what you did, you could have:

a) Posted thread on these horrible forums
b) e-mailed me
c) Flamed our irc channel
d) Keep it all to yourself, perhaps use /dev/null as storage?

WordPlay
You made it sound like you were kind of guy, who goes to grocery store to whine about price of potatoes, when your neighbor gives them you for free. And if cashier denies to give you for the same price, you'll get a shotgun from your red hippie van and shoot his brains off. When cops come in, you say it was all cashier's fault. After all, he was not doing things by what is in your best interest.

Dictionary:
'grocery store' = 'scene'
'potato' = 'script'
'cashier' = 'scripter'
'neighbor' = 'another scripter'
'cops' = 'dark0n3'
'shotgun' = 'release'
'red hippie van' = 'site'
'shoot brains his off' = 'do something that majority of people consideres to be lame'

Ps. You did remember to take the red pill, before you entered the store?
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:34 PM   #2
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Forgot the attachment
Attached Files
File Type: txt mrpirate.txt (12.6 KB, 489 views)
Old 01-27-2004, 09:04 PM   #3
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

HAHAHA!
I knew this would make my day!
This is BY A VERY LARGE MARGIN the best fun I had reading a post on io board!

Thx dark and Mr Pirate.
Little Pirate: just in case u care, I'll catch u as soon as u release a io rls Care to try me ? There's the new 5.6.0 that could interrest some warez-hungry kids!

Run Forrest, RUN!

Can't wait to know who u are!
Mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:30 PM   #4
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

Quite the lack of maturity in some of the ioFTPD users.
neoxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:01 AM   #5
rAWfOX

hahaha....thats funny....
rAWfOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:37 AM   #6
fobban
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

heh, funny reading
fobban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 04:53 AM   #7
peep
FlashFXP Scripter
ioFTPD Foundation User

Hilarious!! imo, anyone who have ever used ioFTPD and understood what they were doing, really must disagree with Mr. Pirate.. You go get him boys
peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:55 AM   #8
odd
ioFTPD Registered User

Think its funny that he actually calls this for a review, its more like an attact against the IO community and mostly against the scripters and d1.

Would be wise if you keept that second review to yourself instead of makeing a fool out of yourself.
odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:44 AM   #9
peep
FlashFXP Scripter
ioFTPD Foundation User

Guess he's allready managed to do so!
peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 12:26 PM   #10
Bratell
FlashFXP Registered User

Why even care? These are issues he should take to his schrink, not bother any of us with. Let him play with his 'professional' FTPD, Serv-U.
Bratell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 01:01 PM   #11
wooolF[RM]
ioFTPD Foundation User

gotta love it...
Quote:
For legal reasons this text can not be copied or pasted on any media without the written permission of me MR. PIRATE - doing so will result in criminal charges...

Think all u can about what I'll say now (and I know that I *will* get flames but still don't care so u can as well stfu now ) but I'm kinda agreed on:
Quote:
And then you cry the ****en blues when a major GROUP gets busted, what I will related to these FOOLS crying about IO being pirated - exactly what the **** is on your drives with a site that has one purpose? (C) programs that costs 100's or 1000's of dollars and add them all up and you cry about a 10.00 program??????????????????????????????????????????? ?
On another side, as d1 said...
Quote:
Original ideas was to write a portable daemon with gl-like features for scene.
That's why I've paid my fee for IO, as we all realise that *original idea* of io was "supporting" the scene and this should be respected. I don't really like the way d1 goes now (making it more suitable for companies etc) as I see in it another bad ending of the story (like some small ISP starts to make their services available to wide public for lower price, they get lots of users, then company a)sells itself to a bigger company b)raises price c)forgets about the "good old" days and why customers moved to them from other ISPs).

d1 might get fed up one day with the project (as he said himself - no more to learn + no $$ = no interest) and he will a) leave it (most likely to someone as Mouton) or go the BIG way and do his own evil M$... which way better? for me none... I liked the original idea and I still do like they way it is (even with those foundation licenses), I do agree that some scripters should get some $$ for their work (hey, nobody push anyone to get foundation license, so no reason for whining)...

All in all, I think Mr.Pirate have too much interest in ioFTPD as about 70% of the doc he wrote dedicated to this ftp daemon... I think he still does like ioFTPD, he just like it how it was in the "good old" days... And I think someone with :banana: avatar really makes him mad for some reason...

Anyway, just my thoughts... we all have a right to state our personal opinion, doesn't we? consequences? yes, I do realise what this post might do to my account if some certain people get it in the wrong way... time will show.

Greetings
wooolF[RM] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:52 PM   #12
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Only thing that has changed in terms of features you want is removal of site who. (If you don't count neutralizing the default ascii packet) Nothing else is planned nor is neccessary. ioFTPD is still as suitable for what you do, than it was when it was first introduced.

As for you, I'd see it as a positive thing, if some day some company would license hundreds of copies of ioftpd. (it's unlikely, but miracles do happend ) Such thing would just guarantee the longetitivy of developement/updates. But the fact is, that one day I quit. That day isn't today nor is it tomorrow. However I'm no fortune teller. If I say 'one day I quit', it is about the same as saying 'one day I die'. No matter how long you live, that day comes. And when it comes, all that matters is what you have done - not what you haven't done. I think, I have already done more than most of you will ever do (for the scene)...

... and who said I'm quitting?
Old 01-28-2004, 06:52 PM   #13
thewarden

Quote:
Originally posted by darkone
Forgot the attachment
Well, I traced the time stamps on the local sites where I found it,
as I sent this up to Darkone.

Jan 24 6:40 pm Toronto Time - Site 1 local
Jan 24 6:44 pm Toronto Time - Site 2 my site(s)
Jan 24 6:58 pm Toronto Time - Site 3 local
Jan 24 7:03 pm Toronto Time - Site 4 local site I admin

User name - same on all 4 local sites -

Got the log portion of the other 3 sites - same IP etc...

I know who this bozo is. Anyone old enough to recall the era of
the PCBoard\Renegade reviews or the CASA era of text files that
gave out reviews to rile people up...same person and this is his
ftpd history - 1 year ago WAR FTPD, then past 10 months RAIDEN,
then IO past 2 months.

No, I do not see his alias in the members area.

No, do not ask me to give out personal info as I will not ever do so.

But he has been warned - to not ever use any site I have access
to the deletion key to use as a portal to send his crap out on.

So, yes...he is a shit disturber who is back in action and if I know
him as I use to...get ready for some real interesting reading that
will only rile up people over nothing.

TW

MOUTON

You may know him as he is from our neck of the woods. P_y_o as
the nick. You fill in the blanks. Use to run with Red Sector and
Razor and headed up the local courier group of the defunct
original AKIRA Project and THE HOOD. And use to be one of my
T.U.B.S co's.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 07:51 PM   #14
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

doesn't ring any bell.
but then, i don't really know anyone from around here in io.
if u didn't find his nick in members list, he use another nick here and on #ioftpd, cause he was definitively in both, and quite recently.
if he could just get the balls to rls 5.6.2r now
Mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:10 PM   #15
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

One thing just occured to me. Didn't I actually tell you at time beta1 was around, that io wouldn't get features such as NUKE built-in for very same reason I now decided to change the default ascii package.

I'm sure someone here remembers it.

Tags
board, daemon, ioftpd, scripts, site

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: