Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

ioFTPD General New releases, comments, questions regarding the latest version of ioFTPD.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:42 AM   #1
spudgun
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Default IOFTPD service occasionally not starting at windows boot

Good morning :-)

I run a 'clean' (no scripts/add-ons etc.) version of IOFTPD 7.7.3 which I have installed as a system service on windows 8.1.

Everything runs fine about 80% of the time, but occasionally, the service doesn't start automatically when Windows boots.

When the service fails to start I checked in the administrative tools/services configuration and the service is there and it is set to automatically start, but it just hasn't started and is listed as running. I can manually start the service by highlighting it and asking it to start, but how can i ensure that it starts every time without having to occasionally go in and do it manually?

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated

Spudgun
spudgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Yil
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Administrator

Couple of questions... Did you use ServiceInstaller.exe to install the server and use it's default settings? Are you running it as a different user or using firedaemon or something instead? Does the .vfs file for the server reference any networked drives? Do you run any kind of weird software firewall that plays games with network interfaces? If you look through the windows event logs does it indicate anything? Is there a CrashLog.txt file in the /system dir? Any chance this is windows 8.1 which I don't have much feedback on yet?

That pretty lame serviceinstaller script sets ioFTPD to have dependencies so it shouldn't start before the networking stuff comes up, but maybe I missed something. On the other hand I haven't heard of anyone having this issue before so I'm trying to think what might make your configuration different.
Yil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
spudgun
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Thanks for getting back to me, answers to individual questions below;

Did you use ServiceInstaller.exe to install the server and use it's default settings? - Yes
Are you running it as a different user or using firedaemon or something instead? - No
Does the .vfs file for the server reference any networked drives? - No
Do you run any kind of weird software firewall that plays games with network interfaces? - Eset Smart Security 7.0.317.4 - don't think that it does anything strange, and there is nothing in the logs for the program that indicate any issue on the few occasions when teh service fails to start
If you look through the windows event logs does it indicate anything? - Nothing obvious
Is there a CrashLog.txt file in the /system dir? - No
Any chance this is windows 8.1 which I don't have much feedback on yet? - Yes, this in windows 8.1
Old 07-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
Yil
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Administrator

Win8.1 must be the issue. Can you see if under the general tab switching it to Automatic (delayed start) solves it? I know it might be a while to know if that really fixes things since it only sometimes happens on boot, but I think that might fix it for you. I believe the only reason I didn't default to that was winXP didn't have that as an option so I just made it depend on the 2 services I thought covered everything it needed...
Yil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
spudgun
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Thank you for your reply, I'll give that a go and update the thread if/when I encounter the problem again
Old 07-26-2014, 05:55 AM   #6
spudgun
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Setting this to a delayed start seems to be problematic too.

I've switched to setting the exe as a task to run at startup using taskmanager and ticked the box for it to run with the highest privileges. So far, this has worked every time and I will update this thread in due course

Tags
occasionally, service, start, time, windows

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: