Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

ioFTPD General New releases, comments, questions regarding the latest version of ioFTPD.

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #16
Zer0Racer
ioFTPD Scripter

My 6.2.1 has been running for 3days 16hrs now and still no crash. When I ran 6.1.4 I could get one or two random crashes per day. Activity has been about the same in both cases, though I've completely disabled NEWDIR script that otherwise runs on quite a few events.

Looking forward to that debug version.

/ZR
Old 07-16-2007, 12:32 AM   #17
Yil
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Administrator

Arrow ioFTPD v6.2.2 DEBUG

Ok, here is essentially v6.2.1 with debugging turned on, the .pdb file for debugging yourself, and the .map file (warning, looking up an address may or may not reveal the correct function since static functions aren't included).

The big difference here is when the program crashes the handler to write the error to c:\ioftpd.crash.log isn't installed. This means you get the regular crash box window popup. If you click on don't send (if you can see it) or cancel it will leave a small dump of the memory of the application and some configuration information you can send to me that I can debug with.

For XP (not sure about 2003 or Vista) without VS2005 installed the dump will be:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\drwtsn32.log and user.dmp

The .log file will contain summary info on the last 10 applications that crashed. Before sending this to me go ahead and remove the first 9 if you want since I won't need them. You can configure the log to just contain the most recent crash by running "c:\windows\system32\drwtsn32.exe" on XP. Vista I think uses a newer tool but I think it might honor the same settings...

For systems with VS2005 (VS2003?) installed things are a little different. There are two temporary files (randomly generated) created in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp. random_appcompat.txt and random.dmp. This is your only chance to copy the system configuration/summary information from the random_appcompat.txt file so if you can make a copy. If you hit cancel both files are erased. You can't just copy the .dmp file as it's locked. You can unlock the .dmp file (via a tool like unlocker) but it's easier to just use the debug button from the popup, then once VS2005 loads use Debug/Save dump as... and save the dump to a file.

Here's the link to the executable/debug info only. Just drop it in the system dir and start it manually since ioFTPD-Start won't start the -debug executable. Running this as a service under the Local Service account is a bad idea since I think it runs into permission issues writing the dump files. You also might have issues running under Limited User accounts under XP as they might not be able to create the .dmp file either but I haven't tried that yet.

For testing purposes there is a new site command "site crashnow" which is hard coded to require the M flag for obvious reasons. It will however allow you to play with crashing the server, or in the future if you start seeing really odd behavior to crash it and generate a dump.

In the future I might provide a nice custom crash popup to automate some of this though...

ioFTPD-v6.2.2-debug-only.zip

If you get crash data send me a PM and I'll give you an ftp address where you can upload it.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:10 AM   #18
whocarez2k5
ioFTPD Foundation User

Do you want us to test some specific things?

Until now i have 6.2.1 running from day 1 it is released and had no crashes since.
Only stuff added are: nxtools and iosfv
Old 07-17-2007, 02:56 AM   #19
isteana

so i sent that latest log of drwtsn32.log and user.dmp

then another problem here
sometimes(means corrupt as random) it wasnt delete old complete-tag/zerobyte missing files on zipscript: php psio but its really working perfect on 5.8.5r without 6.x.x think that issue from rename or delete fault some stuff when z-s tried it
so it make incomplete if even 100% complete

Last edited by isteana; 07-17-2007 at 03:06 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #20
ArtX
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

Unhandled exception 3221225477 at address 0x20b0b56b (0x00000000)
0x00000001 0x00000008

same as usual - xp pro - 6.2.1 - iosfv
Old 07-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #21
Yil
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Administrator

Isteana sent me a dump file, so I have 1 data point. Go install 6.2.2, get it to crash, PM me, and then start sending me dump files Given the limited information from the dump it's impossible to tell if the function it died in is the problem, or just where things are crashing because of memory corruption elsewhere.

There were a number of threads freeing memory at the time so that's suspicious, but the actual crash was while manipulating the job queue after receiving a command from the client. There appear to be a number of crashes where seemingly simple commands crash the server so this just might be where the problem turns up most often...
Old 07-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #22
isteana

Yil, i think make public your ftp address is better for simply procedure
Old 07-19-2007, 12:16 AM   #23
Yil
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Administrator

I believe I have identified a problem area for ioFTPD though I have no idea why 6.x is more prone to crashing than 5.x in the situation described below, but it is.

Applications such as netlimiter and nvidia's firewall load a dll into each application's address space so they can catch/manage internet connections. If you will remember I had a terrible time figuring out what was going on during shutdown with all sorts of crashing until I figured out netlimiter might be at fault and uninstalled it. That cleared up all my problems locally.

Based on some crash information from a user and the closesocket deaths from before I knew where to look and sure enough it looks like nvidia's firewall is at fault. FYI: It appears that utorrent also thinks nvidia's firewall is crap because they warn you about it if they notice it's installed. That's how bad it is, they actually look for it in the installer! So, uh, avoid it

Anyway, the good news is I think I solved that person's very frequent crashing, but it doesn't help the rest of us... Ah well.

Programs to avoid:
Netlimiter (1.3, and later?) try BWMeter instead perhaps.
NVidia's firewall
Old 07-19-2007, 07:13 AM   #24
tuff
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Scripter

im sure, way back in the dark ages, dark0n3 actually posted, or possibly made comments to the effect of certain/all? network meter tools gave ioftpd a hard time, i know this prolly aint much use now, put after reading your post Yil, it did jog my old and forgetful memory :P
Old 07-26-2007, 07:44 AM   #25
razoor
ioFTPD Foundation User

Code:
Unhandled exception 3221225477 at address 0x7c93426d (0x00000000)
0x00000000 0x6502c2db
i get this in the crashlog.
It keeps krashing once aday, but this only happends if there alot of users on the site and racing, on one other maschine i have the same and it havent krashed in 5 days.

im using Iobanana+ioA.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:57 AM   #26
Yil
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Administrator

razoor: grab the 6.2.2 debug executable from above and run it instead. I'm not sure if it will work as a service, so just run it normally. When it crashes, grab the info as explained above and ftp it to me (I PM'd you the address).

Every little bit helps. Isteana's crash is on a busy server, and yours as well. Obviously the chances of a problem go up with more users and faster connections, but it's also possible the issue only happens under those conditions.

Last edited by Yil; 07-26-2007 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #27
pion

Yil, have you done anything to the module system? Due to the fact that the iosharedb module isn't working anymore, with 6.x

I'm wondering if it's still is working proper for future modules..
Old 08-01-2007, 01:26 AM   #28
Yil
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Administrator

pion: I don't think I changed anything IN the module system, but it's possible I've changed data structures referenced by the module system but it was designed to be pretty self contained...

If someone has the source for the iosharedb module and recompiles it that would be a good test. Unfortunately nobody has come forward with source yet... Heck, I don't even have a dll
Old 08-01-2007, 03:47 AM   #29
pion

Author of that is long gone.. nick dead, emails dead, so better to wait for santa than for that source :P

Here's the iosharedb.dll tho, in case you want it for testing purposes
Attached Files
File Type: zip sharedb.zip (24.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #30
fr0st
FlashFXP Registered User

Yil good job on newer beta. I running v6.2.1 with:

ioSFV
ioNUKE
ioUNNUKE
ioREQ*
ioWIPE
io.dZSbot.v0.1.2.BETA-2007-06-13

I have about 10 users and it's on a 100mbit box running windows 2003 server. I haven't had a crash yet. (knock on wood). Ill let you know if I do.
Closed Thread

Tags
ioftpd, links, relative, resolving, symbolic

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: