Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

ioFTPD General New releases, comments, questions regarding the latest version of ioFTPD.

Old 09-15-2005, 06:30 PM   #16
whocarez2k5
ioFTPD Foundation User

How long must we be waiting for the final release of ioFTPD, it looks like the project only just started and that the end of it is far far away?
Sry for being so negative but the announcement on the site is a little bit to early, I guess most of us want to see the new final version asp, or am I wrong?
whocarez2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:00 PM   #17
_panic_
Ultimate Scripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocarez2k5
How long must we be waiting for the final release of ioFTPD, it looks like the project only just started and that the end of it is far far away?
Sry for being so negative but the announcement on the site is a little bit to early, I guess most of us want to see the new final version asp, or am I wrong?
ioFTPD version 1.0 is a complete rewrite of the core i/o subsystem. this was done in order for the 1.0 version to completely outperform the existing beta product. the i/o subsystem is the most performance sensitive portion of the code, particularly as you scale up the number of simultaneous connections.

the i/o system is now complete, and while you are correct that building services on top of this is just getting started, we will be leveraging the features built into this module that make writing these services very easy.

also, unlike the i/o subsystem, the service layer stuff is easier to port from the existing beta codebase. features will drop in pretty fast.

i wish i had a firm date for you, but there have been unexpected delays that have unfortunately affected the time being spent writing ioFTPD. i share your feeling of being upset over not having ioFTPD 1.0 released. we're fixing these delays and committing the resources required to develop ioFTPD into the kind of high-performance and feature-rich ftp server you'd expect.
_panic_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:24 AM   #18
JoC
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Who are you _panic_? A new coder helping d1 or what?
JoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #19
Linkster
Administrator

Yes, _panic_ is a new software developer with iniCom who will primarily be working on the ioFTPD projects. A more official announcement about his involvement will follow soon, as I know its weird for someone to just start making posts on behalf of iniCom
Linkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 03:05 PM   #20
foxmaster
ioFTPD Foundation User

is the beta source code going to be free to download?? (guess not but goto ask)
foxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 08:33 AM   #21
iXi
ioFTPD Foundation User

looking forward to version 1.0 rls
iXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:51 AM   #22
JoC
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkster
A more official announcement about his involvement will follow soon, as I know its weird for someone to just start making posts on behalf of iniCom
When is "soon"?
Some progress news posted once a week or so isnt to much to ask I think.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:17 PM   #23
_panic_
Ultimate Scripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoC
When is "soon"?
Some progress news posted once a week or so isnt to much to ask I think.
i'd be more than happy to provide weekly status updates, once i've gotten myself setup and my schedule is regular enough to make them meaningful.

so, not only is it not too much to ask, i think it is a good idea too.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:22 PM   #24
_panic_
Ultimate Scripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prolucker
looking forward to version 1.0 rls
just last week we hammered out the final feature list for 1.0. it seems doable to me.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:31 AM   #25
Mr_X
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

From what I read (and what I understand), ioftpd 1.0 is far to be finished. I'm a little bit bored (like lots of ppl) to heard that ioftpd will be SOON finished. SOON seems to mean "we are far from releasing a version"

Is it possible to have a release date (approx): 1 month, 2 month, 3 month, 1 year, ...

(Sorry to be so rude)
Mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:03 AM   #26
JoC
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Does this also mean that D1 is no longer the one working on this project?
Old 09-25-2005, 07:07 AM   #27
JoeBAR
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_X
From what I read (and what I understand), ioftpd 1.0 is far to be finished. I'm a little bit bored (like lots of ppl) to heard that ioftpd will be SOON finished. SOON seems to mean "we are far from releasing a version"

Is it possible to have a release date (approx): 1 month, 2 month, 3 month, 1 year, ...
indeed
JoeBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 07:10 AM   #28
tuff
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Scripter

seriously, its a joke. talk about being slow. does anyone at inicom actually do anything? if this was under contract, youd have your ass in a sling by now. what is holding up the development? has d1 dissappeared again? when did he last post? where is the beta`s of 1.0.0 (18 months later) where is the scripters pool voting? i can only guess how much your losing with the project dragging its feet for ages, d1 used to release a new version almost monthly, now, none existant. maybe its time to look for another ftpd
Old 09-25-2005, 08:35 AM   #29
Harm
Too much time...
Ultimate Scripter

The FlashFXP development team seems to be very busy releasing betas, fixing bugs, adding multilanguage support, etc. but for ioFTPD it's the opposite. Except _panic_ who appeared a few days ago as a new developer, we haven't seen anything coming from inicom recently. I share tuff's feeling about darkone: no sign from him for a month and no word from inicom about it could mean he has disappeared again. The promised new features are still keeping the old faithful users around but if development stops (or at least looks like that) your userbase will get smaller and smaller.
You should make an official announcement about the current project status and start posting a weekly report (like suggested in this thread). What about releasing a preview of the ioFTPD-specific commands you've added to lua and to any other script engine that will be supported in v1.0 ? I'm not asking for an alpha version as I can wait for it to be considered ready by the developers (there's no poing in getting one atm). I wouldn't mind getting a preview of the external modules documentation either.

PS: Starting the scripters pool poll and giving a few quids to tuff might keep him happy for a few weeks ..
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 01:12 PM   #30
_panic_
Ultimate Scripter

instead of responding to all of you individually, i hope a single response here will suffice. if i haven't been both thorough and forthcoming below, call me on it and i'll answer additional questions from there.

i'm a relative newcomer to this situation, so i can't fully appreciate how long you've been waiting for a new release of ioftpd. i'm sorry that the wait has been so long. we have made several mistakes on the road to releasing 1.0, which has caused an unacceptable delay in making a new release, and drawn our attention away from addressing the needs of the ioftpd community.

darkone's last post to this forum was august 15th this year, roughly six weeks ago. the last time i heard from him over e-mail was roughly four weeks ago. leading up to this, his involvement in ioftpd has been sporadic, and our progress toward releasing 1.0 has been entirely too slow.

i believe his lack of involvement has had an additional negative effect on everyone else's involvement at inicom. ioftpd always was and will continue to be darkone's baby. without him driving development, this project has languished. sadly, he has proven just how talented and important he is by demonstrating what happens when he disappears.

darkone is welcome to get involved again at any point he chooses, but until and unless he decides to do so, i've been asked to step in and get this project back on track. i'm doing this currently without pay and on a part-time basis. jon and josh are my friends, they asked for my help, and all three of us care too much about ioftpd to leave it where it is now.

i won't ask you to be patient. you've been more than patient already. i will tell you that there *will* be a new release of ioftpd. and that after this we will continue to make new releases. this product is not dead. it will continue to grow into the premier ftp server available anywhere.

much as i don't like being on the receiving end of your frustration, i'm glad as a community you are upset over the delay. i'm glad that you care enough about ioftpd to be angry when your needs aren't being met.

having said all of that, each one of you can help me immensely in moving this project forward. instead of asking when 1.0 will be ready, i'd like to turn around and ask you: "what would you like to see in ioftpd today?" what features are missing, what bugs are you encountering? let me know what your expectations are, and i'll get to work on exceeding them.

Tags
1.0, alpha, ftp, httpd, version

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: