Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

ioFTPD General New releases, comments, questions regarding the latest version of ioFTPD.

Old 09-25-2005, 01:32 PM   #31
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

Firstly, thank you for the status update. This is the most [honest] news we've had in a while.

What I would like see most is documentation for developers and moving scripting languages to modules. This would allow me to write a Tcl and Python scripting module if IniCom decides not to support these languages (the current Tcl interface is terrible). From what I have gathered, the upcoming ioFTPD version is built around LUA, so while be may not be able to move LUA to a module, it is certainly possible for other languages.
neoxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 01:33 PM   #32
peep
FlashFXP Scripter
ioFTPD Foundation User

Must say it brakes my heart seeing d1 disappearing once again. Just as the other active members in this community I've been waiting patiently for the upcomming release of the new io and when these things happend, it really affects ones motivation for the whole project.

A statement from d1 about what's going on would be really great at this moment to clarify things for the rest of us and not make us have to keep guessing about the status of the project.
peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 01:50 PM   #33
_panic_
Ultimate Scripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peep
Must say it brakes my heart seeing d1 disappearing once again. Just as the other active members in this community I've been waiting patiently for the upcomming release of the new io and when these things happend, it really affects ones motivation for the whole project.

A statement from d1 about what's going on would be really great at this moment to clarify things for the rest of us and not make us have to keep guessing about the status of the project.
i very much agree, and hope he will chime in with his perspective and some news about how he is doing.

if there is one bit of good news to be taken, it would be that reading d1's code is a real pleasure. he has made it very easy for someone pick up where hes has left off and follow in his footsteps. i won't let the effort you have personally put into the ioftpd community be wasted. this is a community worth being a part of and active in.

but, i don't have to leave you guessing. i'm here so that ioftpd will stay alive and active. i will be around for the long term; as long as i'm needed and can make contributions. it is *not* my intention to replace d1, no one can. i *do* hope i can do my part in making ioftpd the product he always imagined. this product is active, it has developers, and best yet it has a kick-ass community of scripters and contributors. our recent experiences are a speed bump and a learning experience, and we'll be stronger for it.

ioftpd isn't going anywhere.
_panic_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 01:52 PM   #34
_panic_
Ultimate Scripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxed
Firstly, thank you for the status update. This is the most [honest] news we've had in a while.

What I would like see most is documentation for developers and moving scripting languages to modules. This would allow me to write a Tcl and Python scripting module if IniCom decides not to support these languages (the current Tcl interface is terrible). From what I have gathered, the upcoming ioFTPD version is built around LUA, so while be may not be able to move LUA to a module, it is certainly possible for other languages.
documentation wasn't on my list, but i feel the pain of not having it. check, we'll get some stuff out there.

scripting language interface improvements are already on the list of features. i'll be doing some heavy work in getting this stuff cleaned up, adding new languages (lua, perl, python), and generally exposing more and more information from to interface.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:40 PM   #35
JoC
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Thanks alot for clearing things up.
It seems like d1 atleast logins to the forum still, even if he dont post. "darkone, Last Activity: Yesterday 07:50 PM"
JoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #36
richto
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Only important thing thats really needed asap is full SSL data support.
richto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:21 AM   #37
Harm
Too much time...
Ultimate Scripter

Thank you very much for telling us the truth about what's going on at the moment. It's sad darkone has disappeared again.. but I would like to thank you for continuing the development of this great piece of software. I didn't know you were doing that during your free-time. You seem to get ready pretty well.

Thank you also for staying close to the community. What I would like to see is a fixed chattr command to be able to read/write additional information to the .ioFTPD files from a script. It's an itcl command at the moment, but it could be lua or any other language.
Apart from that, full SSL/TLS support is definitely being required. A working sample user/group module (with the source code) would also be a good thing.
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:58 AM   #38
tuff
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Scripter

yes, a fixed chattr command, so we dont experience the 4k+ .ioFTPD file bug (crashs ioFTPD on restart/dir cacheing)

infact id be happy with just that
Old 09-26-2005, 12:04 PM   #39
ADDiCT
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

My requests are limited to user/group modules (to be able store any extra data per user or use an external database for users) and some way to manipulate the output of LIST (hide files/filetypes/patterns, either with a built-in way for this, or scripted control over the LIST output buffer)
ADDiCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:13 PM   #40
_panic_
Ultimate Scripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm
Thank you very much for telling us the truth about what's going on at the moment. It's sad darkone has disappeared again.. but I would like to thank you for continuing the development of this great piece of software. I didn't know you were doing that during your free-time. You seem to get ready pretty well.
currently i am doing it in my free time, but i am spending 10-20 hours a week at it, which will continue into the foreseeable future, at least the next several months. after that i hope to have more time available and to transition into paid work, presuming you guys are happy with my stewardship of ioftpd.

so i'm pretty excited, i'm glad to see feature requests here, and i've already started working on them!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:39 AM   #41
peep
FlashFXP Scripter
ioFTPD Foundation User

Great to have you here panic. Hope everything works out well for you and that you enjoy your stay with us in this community. It would have been such a shame letting ioFTPD be discontinued. According to me, darkone was really building up somethings special and revolutionizing and while it's sad to see him disappear, I'm glad to see you continuing with his work and not just letting this die out. Welcome aboard
peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:32 AM   #42
esmandil
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

A couple of things I would like to see:

* Full SSL support
* Fixed .ioFTPD bug
* There seems to be a bug which allows two people to start uploading the same file if they do it almost instantenously (some cache issue?)
* Configuration file done in LUA (so we can use variables and stuff there)
* An option to override all commands (so we can change LS or STAT output etc)
* A working OnLogout/OnConnectionClose event
* Easier/better documented interface to user/group/vfs/etc. management (accessible both from scripts and from stand-alone programs)
esmandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:48 AM   #43
Lormen
ioFTPD Foundation User

all seems to be going well then

the only thing i can think of that i would like to see is more group settings. i.e anyone added to SiTEOPS gets flags +1m and anyone added to iND gets 2 FTPlogins. thats it really, everything else is perfect
Lormen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:11 PM   #44
Chico

very nice to see an update of what is going on... Hope to hear how D1 is doing and happy to hear he kept his code clean for other ppl to help continue his work.
Chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:42 PM   #45
_panic_
Ultimate Scripter

thank you everyone so far for the kind words and particularly for the good suggestions. i'll have to summarize these at the start of a new thread and put a roadmap together. watch for that probably over the weekend.

this of course shouldn't discourage anyone from keeping the suggestions coming.

Tags
1.0, alpha, ftp, httpd, version

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: