Old 07-23-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
Kenny Gardner

Default Registration Information

I haven't received my Registration Information because my Mail Server uses SORBS (your IP is included in the Class C block that they have listed).

I used the form on your site to request that my Password be E-Mailed to me. That E-Mail never made it because my Mail Server rejected the message because your script is trying to send the message to admin@flashfxp.ws.

SORBS is a good service and I for one will not stop using it. It allows my system to reject Spam from Zombied systems on Cox, Comcast, and other ISP's.

Anyway, I would appreciate the Registration information for the software that I purchased.

Thank you,

Kenny
Old 07-23-2004, 05:45 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

It's been a constant problem with SORBS, we're working on getting this resolved and hopefully this wont be a problem in the future.

Quote:
I used the form on your site to request that my Password be E-Mailed to me. That E-Mail never made it because my Mail Server rejected the message because your script is trying to send the message to admin@flashfxp.ws.
I'm not entirely sure if this is the case, According to our maillog it appears to be sending to the correct address. I conducted several test key requests and examined the mail headers. The mail headers appear correct.

Do you have an alternative email address where we can send your registration key? You can contact support@inicom.net for additional information and support
Old 07-23-2004, 05:51 PM   #3
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

He misinterpreted his server's logs. The script is sending from that address to his. That's the only way it could reach his server.
If the script was sending to admin@flashfxp.ws, the MX server of the flashfxp.ws domain would be contacted, not his.

note: thread moderated and splitted

note 2: support@inicom is aware of your situation and will deal with you in private when possible.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:54 PM   #4
Kenny Gardner

Quote:
It's been a constant problem with SORBS, we're working on getting this resolved and hopefully this wont be a problem in the future.
The best way to get this resolved is to post a message in the EV1 Forums (http://forums.ev1servers.net/) telling them that the guy who owns webhosting.info, IP: 67.15.35.7, is causing the entire class C of 66.98.228.0/24 to be listed by SORBS. Why SORBS is listing that Class C instead of 67.15.35.0/24 is beyond me (maybe one of his other domains used to use one of those IP's).

Basically, just tell them your IP is being blacklisted by SORBS and tell them to take care of it (only they can since they own the IP). You can try emailing Abuse@ev1.net but that address is sometimes like a black hole.

If you are not leasing a server directly from EV1 but through a reseller, then you'll need to get your reseller to handle this for you.

Kenny
Old 07-23-2004, 06:59 PM   #5
Kenny Gardner

Quote:
Do you have an alternative email address where we can send your registration key? You can contact support@inicom.net for additional information and support
The E-Mail address on file works. I whitelisted your IP. The Sales Person had no problem E-Mailing me.

Somebody from Sales forwarded my message to Support several hours ago. I haven't heard back. It shouldn't be that hard to resend the registration info, nor should it take this long.

Thanks,

Kenny
Old 07-23-2004, 07:00 PM   #6
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

Maybe the support ppl don't work on friday nights.

Regarding SORBS: http://www.dnsbl.nl.sorbs.net/faq/spamdb.shtml

"If you are part of a wider netblock that is blocked you are not required to pay the SORBS 'fine' as the entry was not generated because of your actions, however your netblock will not be removed until your upstream removes the spammers."

That's the only way to get removed from SORBS. We can't control the upstream's actions. We can but ask, and we did, more than once.

On a personnal note, i think that using any spam fighting system that block even 1/10000 valid message that you want to receive isn't worth the assle. I much prefer helping my customer install client-side spam fighting software than bouncing their valid emails without them knowing anything about them. I put the control in their hand, and they choose what's the threshold they want to set on the spam control.
One size doesn't fits all... especially in this case...
I bet a couple clients wouldn't be all that happy to not receive their stock transactions confirmations emails because SORBS or any system of that kind decided to flag the broker and their whole ISP because a client of them spammed god knows who.

Anyway, your server, your decision, but i now have another good example of headache that those things can cause and another good reason to continue to preach against them.

BTW, iniCom's support guy and ceo guy were off for a drink last i heard, so might not get an answer from there for a while.
But if your smtp now accept our emails, u can just ask for your key or create a new account on the portal.

https://secure.flashfxp.com/keyupgrade.php Option 1
https://secure.flashfxp.com/customer...?action=newpwd
Old 07-23-2004, 07:47 PM   #7
Kenny Gardner

Mouton,

The "upstream" is your very own hosting provider, EV1 Servers.

All you have to do is say, "Hey, EV1, please yank this Spammer's Server, webhosting.info, IP: 67.15.35.7, he is causing an entire EV1 Class C to be listed on Sorbs. See http://www.dnsbl.us.sorbs.net/cgi-bi...=66.98.228.48."

EV1 does not like having their IP's black listed and they generally act really fast to get the IP's unlisted (including 86'ing the Spammer).

Er, umm, you guys are using SpamAssassin to filter your own outgoing Mail, so how do you know all of your E-Mails are making it past your own Spam Filters? At least I don't filter my Outgoing!

Kenny
Old 07-23-2004, 10:58 PM   #8
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

That message was sent to our access provider, by a member of our staff, multiple times.

Concerning SpamAssassin: You probably already know, but SA doesn't drop messages. It just add a header to the emails then let them through, leaving to the client, who will always receive the tagged messages, the job of deciding what to do with them.

That being said, I'm not aware that any email originating from the customer portal or the upgrade script are scanned by SA. In fact, I know they aren't.
Portal > my MX (mail.ttl.com) > my gmail.com account. No SA anywhere in the loop, I check the header just to be sure.
My MX checks for spam level and put a header which will allow my client to sort my emails automatically. Kinda like SA I'd guess.

So all Customer Portal's emails and keyupgrade script and functionnalities appears just fine to me and my servers.

This board relays emails to the SMTP instead of mailing directly to the users. That's probably what you saw. But as I mentionned before, the messages always go through with SpamAssassin, unlike with SORBS and other system of that kind.

Feel free to do more detective work about this matter. I'll be happy to reply to your concerns. As you can see by the length of this message, I have plenty of time on my hands.

Bye now,
Closed Thread

Tags
information, message, registration, server, sorbs