Old 06-28-2004, 04:46 AM   #1
J-J
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Default FlashFXP rumors

Another thing i was wondering about:

We've all seen the rumors about FlashFXP being spyware and sending sites.dat to people and stuff. What i would like is an official statement from FlashFXP that describes the rumors and prove them wrong.

I know that it has been denied in the forum several times, but i think an official note with some evidence would be in it's place.

In my mind there is no doubt what-so-ever that the rumors are false. I have run SocketSpy on more occations to see for myself an i have found NOTHING. Though the rumors are running...and people are getting confused cause there are no official comments from the author/company of FlashFXP.

Just a thought.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:21 AM   #2
Tribl
FlashFXP Registered User

so why dont u read again This Thread and read what shark says about it, since he's in the development team i think its official enough!!!
Old 06-28-2004, 05:42 AM   #3
J-J
FlashFXP Beta Tester

A few short messages in a forum is not an official message.

An article stating all rumors and proving them wrong would be in it's place. Not just a few messages in a forum.

I'm not doubting that FlashFXP is NOT spyware, but for new users and potential customers it's not transparent. They might have heard the rumors and should be able to quickly see an article dismissing all rumors. They shouldn't have to browse the entire forum looking for short posts.

Just my thought.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:53 AM   #4
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Quote:
Originally posted by J-J
A few short messages in a forum is not an official message.
Isn't this an 'official message'?.

Check the paragraphs titled 'Software: Trial Version' and 'Software: Liveupdate'.

Quote:
Originally posted by J-J
I have run SocketSpy on more occations to see for myself an i have found NOTHING
You've answered yourself with this phrase.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:12 PM   #5
J-J
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Ok. It seems that my point was not understood by you guys.
So maybe it's just me...

The article should be for NEW users. If i was thinking of buying FlashFXP and i heard the rumors, i would not be able to see in a clear text and with proof, that the rumors were false. So i would most likely check out other clients instead of just reading that the rumors are false and see the proof.

I really doubt that a user searching for a new ftp client, would buy FlashFXP if he heard the rumors. So he can search the website and find nothing. He can search the forum and find short posts which really does not dismiss the rumors, cause there are no details and no proof.

Does this only make sence to me?
Old 06-28-2004, 02:29 PM   #6
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I agree there should be something on the website, If there isn't already.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:31 PM   #7
Shark
FlashFXP Beta Tester

I agree that there should be a statement, however I don't see how it can be proved other than by yourself.

The only true way is for us to give you the code, and let me tell you now, that's not going to happen

I thought my comments in the above mentioned thread's were pretty clear, but I guess something on the web site could be added.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:26 AM   #8
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

i would think twice about doing that
you'll be needlessly giving legs to this lie. you'll be raising doubt in uninformed users..."why did this issue even came up" and stuff like that..

the only people who spread this lie are those who couldn't find working crack for flashfxp so they are upset, or those who have a finantial interest in promoting other ftp clients.

this is like news channels airing those terrorist videos..they want to report on them and show the truth but at the same time they'll be giving voice to those terrorist. i think it's similar here.

what i'd rather do is request an audit from some well known and respect security company such as eEye Digital Security or Foundstone or ISS and have them come out and give report on their findings
Old 06-29-2004, 01:45 AM   #9
J-J
FlashFXP Beta Tester

I totallt agree on the last part of MxxCon's post. Get a well known security company to investigate and put their report on the website.

I don't agree with the first part of the post though. I don't think that a detailed article will give legs to the rumors.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:55 AM   #10
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

Actually, I have to completely agree with MxxCon's statement. These rumors are obviously spread by a group or an individual trying to give a bad name to FlashFXP (hoping to steer users toward another FTP client?). The more attention this issue gets, the more sense of satisfaction this group/individual gets.

However, that security evalution would also put a foot down on all the circulating rumors.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:19 AM   #11
J-J
FlashFXP Beta Tester

If someone spread rumors about a company and the company then write an article dismissing the rumors...how can that be bad? It makes no sence. The people who spread the rumors does not get anything positive from such an article. It's like this all the time in real life. Rumors spread and affect the stockmarket. Then the affected company dismisses the rumors in an official message to the press to minimize the damage and get the stocks back up.

Oh well..at least we all agree on the security evaluation :-)
Old 06-29-2004, 05:10 AM   #12
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Although I agreed with MxxCon's post i still don't understand WHY a company must request an audit of one of its products to stop the spread of false rumours, it's (in my humble opinion) to surrender to those pathetic kiddies and envy/lazy ftp coders that doesn't give ANY fact that anyone can prove and check about the spyware/adware inside FlashFXP, c'mon guys ... FlashFXP was one of the FIRST companies that i've seen on many years to advice the use of Ethereal or another sniffer/network scanner to check that the rumours were false.

On the other way, do all of you think that those rumours will stop with a security audit made by *put here some well-know security company* ... i'm not 100% sure. Unfortunately there're a bunch of ways to feed a lie. The point is how many importance we must give to those rumours.

But ... this is probably how the marketing thingy works, someone says a lie and the company must show and prove to the rest of the world that it's in fact, a lie.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:29 AM   #13
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

When was the last time Microsoft posted something on their website to dismiss a rumor about one of their product or the company ?
I would think Microsoft is one of the company who put the most money into marketing / tergetting campaigns. So in my book, they're a very good example of what to do, and what not to do, when it comes to public relations.
After all, everyone complains about Microsoft and everyone still use many of their product daily! That says something.

That being said, I'll speak with IniCom about that and see what are their intentions. But I doubt they'll would want to put something up after waiting so long.

Please restrain from further similar threads now people. The subject has been spoke of from every possible angle.

Quote:
Originally posted by J-J
If someone spread rumors about a company and the company then write an article dismissing the rumors...how can that be bad? It makes no sence. The people who spread the rumors does not get anything positive from such an article. It's like this all the time in real life. Rumors spread and affect the stockmarket. Then the affected company dismisses the rumors in an official message to the press to minimize the damage and get the stocks back up.
Closed Thread

Tags
flashfxp, official, people, rumors, what-so-ever