Old 03-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
molitar

Thumbs down No Unicode yet?

Ok this program after all the years is still a worthless program.. No unicode support yet! Still can't download files that have Japanese names.. How can you be so far behind the times?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

There are a number of factors that have contributed to the delay of full unicode support.

We would of liked to have released 4.0 with full unicode support but it just wasn't an option.

FlashFXP is compiled with Borland Delphi 4.0, We had planned to use some 3rd party unicode components to provide support however after months of evaluating and exploring this option we realized that this solution would not be acceptable.

We purchased Borland Delphi 2007 with plans to migrate from Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007 but after many delays, complications and set backs newer versions of Delphi were released and we barely managed to start migrating to 2007, we decided that to continue migrating to Delphi 2007 was point less at this time and it was put on hold again.

The problem is that migrating FlashFXP from Delphi 4 to a newer version of Delphi is a huge task, we weighed in on the pros and cons and decided that in the best interests of our customers releasing FlashFXP v4.0 without unicode support vs delaying it for another year or two was the best choice.

Releasing FlashFXP v4.0 was critical for us because the prior version 3.6 is not stable or 100% compatible with Windows 7.

I've considered the possibility of using Lazarus (Free Pascal) for future versions of FlashFXP as its a cross platform compiler allowing us to provide FlashFXP for MacOS and Linux, I've just started exploring this option but so far I'm not entirely impressed with lazarus and I'm not sure if it will suit our needs for future releases.

When you factor in the amount of time required to migrate a project such as FlashFXP to a newer compiler with 1000s of changes, just getting it to work is quite time consuming. Now factor in converting everything to unicode and the amount of time has just doubled, if not tripled.

FlashFXP is a family run business and I am the sole developer of the product.

I apologize for FlashFXP not having full unicode support and I hope you all understand that we're doing the best we can to provide unicode support for future releases.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Zbyna
FlashFXP Registered User

Oh no unicode support, I should have been more carefull before I bought this software. It did not occur to me that in 2011 somebody ignore UNICODE :-( I have figured out today. 50 % transfers failed. I have to obtain better client with full UNICODE. Good bye FlashFXP.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I am sorry to hear that FlashFXP doesn't meet your needs and that you weren't aware of this limitation prior to your purchase, I have issued you a full refund.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #5
Zbyna
FlashFXP Registered User

Thanks. Good luck with updates.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Necromancer007

When will you have unicode support? Which version will you plan to have the support (I use hungarian character set therefore...)?
Old 07-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
Branchus
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

I have been using FlashFXP for years, I love it.

Now I purchased iphone, macbook pro, imac. I have to run flashfxp in a vm. that's not very good.

i really hope there will be native mac version. I don't care to purchase it again.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:43 AM   #8
unoentremil

I was not aware about this. What a shame. I was seriously considering to move to FlashFXP but no unicode means that it is not an option to me.
I'll keep an eye on future releases and hope that you find a solution.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
msg7086
FlashFXP Beta Tester

maybe you can think about migrate to .net platform, which is fast and cross-platform
Old 04-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
msg7086
FlashFXP Beta Tester

well, after 1 year, how's the unicode migrating going?
lots of us have been waiting for so long time and see if we'll no longer get the messed up asian charactors that's converted improperly from the utf8 string.

even an alpha version of unicode ver is a good signal that you start working on it. but nothing happened about it till now. any ideas? or do we still have to use filezilla instead?

sincerely
Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
SamKook

I'd also like to know if there's been progress on that side or if you've given up.

I'd really like to make it my main ftp software since I always find something great about it every time I try a new version(just learned that it's awesome at not corrupting file when your connection drops a lot), but I just can't since I work a lot with Japanese filenames.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
pinkduck
FlashFXP Registered User

I hit a problem today trying to transfer files containing non–Western European characters (550 File not found). I ended up using the LIST -al directory method and renaming the files afterwards. It seems the open-source FileZilla client supports international filenames. It would be nice if FlashFXP could do so sometime soon. Think of the increased worldwide market share!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

The current estimated time frame for Unicode support is 60-90 days assuming everything goes smoothly.

I will be posting updates to the following thread https://oss.azurewebsites.net/forum/tracke...cker_bugid=700
Closed Thread

Tags
download, japanese, names, program, unicode