View Poll Results: Please vote:
I want SSH/SFTP support in FlashFXP 33 97.06%
I don't want SSH/SFTP support in FlashFXP 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
Aldur

Default SFTP/SSH Petition

Lets make it official and see how many people will vote for SFTP/SSH support in FlashFXP.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

There are plenty that would like it, myself included, there has never been any question about that. It has been stated many times thats its on the todo list, but it would require such significant changes that it is unlikely to happen until flashfxp is completely recoded (along with proper tabs and multithreading)
Old 09-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
miki75
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Yes, I'd like to have SFTP/SSH support

But I wait when will be ready, because need a code rewrite and will be available in FlashFXP v4 (as wrote in past by bigstar)

Miki

* FlashFXP v[5].[3].[0], build [3930], [x]registered

* * * --> FlashFXP in ITALIANO <-- * * *
* * * --> http://michele.beriola.it/ <-- * * *
* * * --> FlashFXP in italiano <-- * * *

* OS [x] Windows 7 Home Premium
* Running Antivirus [x] Yes, Name [ESET Smart Security v4.2.71.3]
* Running Firewall [x] Yes, Name [ESET Smart Security v4.2.71.3]

* Network [x] VDSL [Technicolor AG plus VDNT-S Router VDSL2]
Old 12-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
spower
FlashFXP Registered User

I'm all for SFTP.

Web servers increasingly rely on SSHd over FTPd to provide a transport mechanism. In my opinion, FlashFXP would greatly increase in value should SFTP be added. In fact, i'd be willing to pay extra for an SFTP module should it be made available (in the form of a major version upgrade, for instance).

If you raise the cost of base FlashFXP/incur a cost on upgrades, offer SFTP, you could get marginally renumerated for your added time in recoding the app.

I'd be fine with it.

Also, I think this poll is a little bit misleading. Every user will plainly vote "yes" in favor of an enhancement such as SFTP. The real question is, would you pay an extra $X dollars for SFTP. If the cost was reasonable (under 15 bucks), i vote Yes.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

One immediate solution is to use BitVise Tunnelier http://www.bitvise.com/ftp-bridge provides a SFTP to FTP bridge, Tunnelier can normally be used free of charge if it is used by less than 5 people and on less than 5 machines in an organizational department.

We plan to offer SFTP support in the future, we're just not entirely sure how it's going to be done, at the moment simply dropping SFTP into the existing FlashFXP code base isn't an option. One option would be to rely on something similar to the Tunnelier but have it completely seamless.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
spower
FlashFXP Registered User

the average user wont care how you implement it, just that you do, providing that you're not incurring too much of a performance impact. I use WinSCP for SFTP. There *are* many options out there .. it's just a matter of convenience to be able to perform all file transport related tasks in one program.

I'm sure you know what i'm saying Bigstar.

Again, i'd be willing to pay for it, and I suspect that many other users might.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:07 AM   #7
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

The rewrite is still on the agenda i hope (if not already planned out?). It would definately be a conciderable amount of work, but i believe worth the effort in the long run in terms of flashfxp's future.

There are a conciderable amount of increasingly popular and requested features that simply can not be easily implemented into the current codebase (multithreading, tabs, ssh and other protocol support, scriptability, etc) which many of the competing programs are increasingly supporting and implementing.

Lets take FTPRush/UltraFXP as a quick example, i can tell you from first hand use and from opinions spoken to me by many users of that particular alternative that the main reasons they choose it over FlashFXP despite its bugs and annoyances is because it supports tabbed sessions, scriptability, and multiple protocols (although only ssh and tftp).

I guess as a user, i cant help but wonder how long FlashFXP can continue without moving forwards in regards to these increasingly in-demand features. And just how long before alternatives improve to the point where people are not making performance/reliability/stability sacrifices by choosing an alternative.

I can certainly understand the situation that arises from this, in regards to justifying the work required to undergo such a rewrite, while still trying to honor the free 'lifetime upgrades' as best you can. I can definately see how any sort of upgrade charge could annoy some users, but i think most of the heavy users (myself included) would have no problem with an upgrade fee (to a Pro version as i think was mentioned once or twice a long time ago).

Just some scattered thoughts as usual.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
a.ghazaeri
FlashFXP Beta Tester

as mentioned before - most of the heavy users would probably pay a fee for that kind of implementation. Personally I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:57 AM   #9
nnimm

Default SSH Support IS very important!

I am a reged user since the beginning of FlashFXP, BUT the "NO SSH-Support" is the only reason why I do not use FlashFXP anymore. FlashFXP was (unfortunately) my favorite FTP/SSH Client but we need SSH/SCP support...

Therefore, PLEASE implement SSH support - and you will have a lot more customers - believe me.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:11 AM   #10
rolsma
FlashFXP Beta Tester

I vote for SSH support.

Regards
Old 04-15-2008, 02:02 AM   #11
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

SFTP support will be added in the next few weeks. Development started last week.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #12
ArtX
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

just mean the beta testers have to wait until we can get our grubby little mitts on it
Old 05-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #13
miki75
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Thumbs up

Really

* FlashFXP v[5].[3].[0], build [3930], [x]registered

* * * --> FlashFXP in ITALIANO <-- * * *
* * * --> http://michele.beriola.it/ <-- * * *
* * * --> FlashFXP in italiano <-- * * *

* OS [x] Windows 7 Home Premium
* Running Antivirus [x] Yes, Name [ESET Smart Security v4.2.71.3]
* Running Firewall [x] Yes, Name [ESET Smart Security v4.2.71.3]

* Network [x] VDSL [Technicolor AG plus VDNT-S Router VDSL2]
Old 05-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #14
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

i'm closing this thread since sftp is already implemented.

Tags
flashfxp, people, sftp/ssh, support, vote