Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 02-25-2005, 07:09 AM   #1
comart

Default Anti-idle suggestion

Iwebland's FTP or some FTP has a error like:

No Transfer Timeout (60s)...
Connection is lost.

That means if you don't do any transfer within 60s idle, you'll lose your FTP connection.
Please add a feature to transfer a "dummy file" to FTP every XX seconds to prevent this.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

then such servers will detect transfer of "dummy files" and still ignore those.
it's a never ending arms race.
best solution against idling is not to idle

where do you imagine will flashfxp get that "dummy file"?
Old 02-26-2005, 12:33 AM   #3
comart

It's hard to detect dummy file & ignore it. Because it may not be dummy file, but user's file.

Quote:
best solution against idling is not to idle
where do you imagine will flashfxp get that "dummy file"?
I can't keep connection every 60s while editting some script files. Maybe Flashfxp will put setting for dummy file somewhere in the its option dialog.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:25 AM   #4
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

complain to that server's admin that 60sec is too short while you are working with scripts or just let it disconnect..it doesn't take that long to reconnect
Old 02-26-2005, 07:15 AM   #5
comart

ok, I just give my suggestion to make FlashFXP more "perfect". If it's hard for you to implement such a simple feature, let me say I'm sorry. So, what's this Suggestion Room for ? no need to reply, I have no time to return to read, thanks again
Old 02-26-2005, 09:58 AM   #6
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

When using the edit feature and the connection is lost due to idle time (such as when editing script files as mentioned above). Once done flash fxp will ask you to click ok when ready to upload the new file, otherwise click cancel to abort.

If the connection is lost while editing the file, when you click ok will flashfxp automatically reconnect to the remote server (and navigate to the correct directory) then upload the new file, or does it simple fail?

If it does infact reconnect, then i see no problem here. However if it does not reconnect (and just fails) then perhapse an autoreconnect is a feature enhancement that should be concidered, and i believe would solve comart's problem.

I understand where he is coming from, because if it doesn't auto reconnect then you have to hit cancel (since flashfxp is single threaded and wont let you continue until you have made a selection). When you hit cancel the changes you have made are lost and you will have to start over. Obviously this would be quite irritating.

Also, simply increasing the anti-idle on the remote ftp may not solve the problem... if you leave for some reason and come back later to finish your task and replace the file, you will have surely been d/c from most places.

ps. i do not think any type of inti-idle feature is a smart move, as implied above, because all it does it create an endless cycle of clients and servers creating code to get around each other. Obviously, this adds undue amount of code and waste the developers time.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:44 PM   #7
drifthat

IMO, ffxp should keep folder tree content which I've explored when disconnect, just like cuteftp/nextftp. It's very frustrated that ftp server kick me out when I'm busying in queue up some files.

Tags
60s, add, connection, ftp, transfer