Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 09-04-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
cjr
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Default Schedule Functions

Hi all,

I have been thinking about a new feature within FFXP which I think may help out some users a little more with scheduling.

With my ISP they allocate data for the month and this is divided into two blocks, peak and off peak.

My suggestion is that while you are able to set schedules for anytime to stop and start, disconnect and so on, I think it would be a big plus to be able to save an peak/off peak schedule so it can just be setup, selected and run at your lesiure.

So you could have a peak schedule for say 7.00am to 12.00pm and then a 12.00pm to 7.0am schedule and just choose between the two each day... This would save havingt to enter the same data over and over again (yes I am a little lazy).

I was also thinking if you can save the schedules then they could be quickly accessed by a drop down menu similar to the one used for "On transfer complete".

Let me know if this gets some approval within the dev team...

Thanks again for a top program...

FlashFXP v4.0.0, build 1462, registered
Firewall: Linux IPTables
Antivirus: Sophos
Network: xDSL

Old 05-15-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
nudey flasher

Default I second that!!

I was just about to suggest the same function "to allow the user to setup some pre-defined schedules to take advantage of off-peak download allowances rather than having to manually set them each time"

I am registered and would appreciate such a development.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:00 AM   #3
Barough
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Yup, this would be a very nice thing 2 have in ffxp.
- LAN (100/100Mbit)
Old 06-02-2005, 12:37 AM   #4
wimnms

Default Scheduling function

As I was thinking about this ... I was wondering about a scheduler that would allow me to queue up all my requests and then attach it to a time range that could be done in daily (M,T,W,H,F,S,Su), or weekly/weekend schedule.

Less mud explanation follows:

I load up 4 gig of stuff I want to download from some site. I know that I can only download these things from 1am til 5am (this is just an example) daily. I decide to attach the queue to a daily schedule which says Download from 1am-5am on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays.

Now what happens you say?

The scheduler kicks off and starts the downloads at 1am on Monday. It arrives at 5am and it notices that there are still things in my queue. As the current file finishes downloading, the system leaves a pointer to the next file (say file a12) in my queue and logs off. On Wednesday at 1am it continues on with that next file (a12) and goes again until 5am. Again it notices I didn't finish and it closes up on file a25. On Friday at 1am, YOU GUESSED IT!, it starts up with file a26 and keeps going...

ad nauseum.

Anyone think this is a good or bad idea?

Yeah, I'm registered and whee
Old 06-03-2005, 09:38 PM   #5
DJ_Alex

Default I need this too !

I'm a registered user and I need this function too, I can pay an extra fee to get this upgrade !.

My ISP has Happy Hours, I can download all amount of data i want between 3 AM and 9 AM and then, they count untilll i have 60GB data transfer and then, after rise that value of traffic, I need to pay lots of money if I want to download more stuff !!! So the thing is that I can just schedule to download files in the free download time !

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:43 PM   #6
DJ_Alex

Now I saw the option is implemented in a menu tools... LOOL I'm so stupid ! lol, sorry congrats, this option roxxxx
Old 06-06-2005, 09:05 AM   #7
nudey flasher

Default Any response from coders here? - Can scheduling be enhanced?

I agree - can any developers advise if such a modification could be implemented?

More specifically, id like the following functions.

[setup schedule]

Name: IE: OFF PEAK
Days in effect, - Everyday, or selective days.
Duration 2am -> 9am,
Instructions: Begin Transfer,
Exceptions, Allow download in progress to complete, adn then logoff - or no exceptions (hard disconnect at 9am)
On Completion: shutdown pc, logoff, etc.

++

Ability to apply to all files in queue or set the schedule up as a default and present the user with a dialog if the transfer was attempted outside the schedule.

ie: THE TRANSFER IS OUTSIDE THE DEFAULT SCHEDULE IN PLACE (2AM - 9AM)
(OPTIONS: 1) TRANSFER NOW - 2) DISCONECT AND RESUME PER SCHEDULE - 3) EDIT SCHEDULE

I'm sure you get the drift..

Many isp's in australia have off-peak data allowances.

I am registered.

PS: There is a basic schedule plugin in the bittorrent client azureus http://students.cs.byu.edu/~djsmith/azureus/faq.php which allows hard schedules to be setup with various options.

Cheers!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:10 AM   #8
wimnms

Talking Scheduling function

I think those ideas are great.

With more "lockdowns" coming from ISPs who still charge a lot , I eagerly await any progress in this area. It would be nice to just leave the puter be for a few days and come back and notice everything all nice and tidy and done.

I suppose I could look at command line "at" messing around but I'm sure I'd mess something up.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:00 AM   #9
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Default Re: Scheduling function

Quote:
Originally posted by wimnms
I suppose I could look at command line "at" messing around but I'm sure I'd mess something up.
so instead of command line "at", why don't you use windows' builtin scheduler?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:25 AM   #10
wimnms

Default Windows builtin scheduler

>>so instead of command line "at", why don't you use windows' builtin scheduler?

I thought about that.

The Windows scheduler could kick off ffxp at certain times and days... If I was going to be gone for the weekend/vacation and wanted it to run 4 days in a row ... I could tell it to start it and schedule it for each day (F, Sa, Su) (not knowing whether the transfers had finished or not). I think I will have to look at any batch features I was too lazy to RTFM to see

ffxp feature:Internal Schedule (Transfer or Stop a queue at a specific time). <-- This is good for ONE day and you set it up on the spot correct?

ffxp feature:Automatically reconnect and resume a transfer from where it left off if the connection is lost or no data is received for a specified period of time. <-- I will have to check. I thought it always asks if you want to resume on the reconnect. If I would KILL the process at a certain time of the morning I wouldn't be there to say yes on the reconnect. And of course if I somehow kill the whole ffxp process when I'm not there I'll have to see if ffxp considers that "lost."

Guess I need to investigate more. Bad me.

I'm sure others probably had my problem and have simple solutions that I didn't see while browsing the forums....

I must be flashfxp forum search impaired

Old 06-07-2005, 08:28 AM   #11
wimnms

Default fun eh?

>>ffxp feature:Automatically reconnect and resume a transfer from where it left off if the connection is lost or no data is received for a specified period of time. <-- I will have to check. I thought it always asks if you want to resume on the reconnect. If I would KILL the process at a certain time of the morning I wouldn't be there to say yes on the reconnect. And of course if I somehow kill the whole ffxp process when I'm not there I'll have to see if ffxp considers that "lost."

Yeah, I saw in the Options where I could just do an overwrite always on smaller size, etc... whee, good fun!
Old 06-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #12
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Using windows schedule provides very good results. There is special command line params to take into consideration.

-savequeque or -savequeue="<filename>"
when this parameter is combined with loading a
queue file via the command line, it will update the
original (or defined filename) file on exit

You need to use this param so that the queue file is updated, otherwise everytime the schedule starts it will re-download all of the files from the original queue file.

Please see the help file for other command line params
Old 06-07-2005, 09:13 AM   #13
wimnms

Default RTFM is good

Thanks much!

You rule!

I'll be looking at these options and definitely making a "FFXP Batch Transfer for Dummies" for myself
Old 06-07-2005, 10:24 PM   #14
leixiaowei

Arrow ‘å‰ÆD!

‰ä“I˜¢lŽå页
‰ä¥—ˆŽ©’† â€˜Ë†Ãˆ为•ü—FCŠó⠓]Ý这—¢”\够结实V•ü— FI‰ä“I邮”_leixiaowei03@163.co m ‰ä“IOICQ:172115804 ‰ä“I电话F<removed> ‰äŠì欢这—¢I
Old 06-08-2005, 05:53 AM   #15
DJ_Alex

LOL, this is the post of the year.. LOL, we understood all very well... LOL

Tags
12.00pm, peak, save, schedule, schedules