Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 05-09-2006, 06:25 AM   #1
Zer0Racer
ioFTPD Scripter

Default Refresh dir on transfer "bug"

Edited whole post because problem probably wasn't due to "Update directory cache during transfer" (with "Cache directories" disabled).

First found this problem two years ago http://www.inicom.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4049

SCENARIO:
Say I want to send a dir first from one site to another and then to another; A -> B -> C.
The dir is not complete on B when queued, but is complete when transfer starts to C.

• Queue dir from site A to site B
• Start the transfer, then pause after one or a couple of files (so that dir is created on B)
• Disconnect from A on [L], connect to site C on [L]
• Queue dir (site C) [L] <- [R] (site B)
• Click "Go" to transfer the rest of the files A -> B, and so that dir will be transferred from B -> C when A -> B transfer is finished.

Perfect! Now I can leave the computer and go do something else and wait for the whole queue to finish. It's a valid scenario isn't it? What if the scenario was corporate and was critical files that were added in the last minute?

PROBLEM:
Since ffxp is still inside the dir (on destination B that now is source for transfer to destination C) when the first transfer finishes it doesn't LIST the directory (on B) before it starts to transfer same dir to C. Therefore not transferring all files in the dir from B -> C.

POSSIBLE FIXES:
Imo FlashFXP should LIST at least once on source site before it starts to transfer it. Why? Well, it's a directory and a new item in the queue. Regardless if the user happens to be inside that dir and idle for N seconds or minutes or uploading files for N minutes, or hours depending on size and speed, before transfer of the queued directory begins. It should transfer what it has in the queue (a directory), not just the files it happens to think exist inside the dir since last list command. FlashFXP's behaviour would be even smarter than it is today!

It doesn't have to refresh after every file transfer, though an option for that also (for us not using dir cache) would be great. It would certainly solve this somewhat odd problem. I don't use the directory cache in FlashFXP, and don't want to be forced to use it either.

Thanks
/ZR

And regarding "Update directory cache during transfer", my suggestion is to;
• Make "Update dir..." greyed when dir cache is not enabled, but remember "Update dir..." enabled/disabled-state for when/if dir cache is enabled.
• And maybe move options "Cache directories" and "Update dir..." to same page/line in options.
• Or rename/change it to "Update directory during transfer" and make it work for both regular list and dir cache (if used).

* FlashFXP v[3].[3].[6], build [1125], [•]registered, [ ]unregistered, [ ]pirated
* OS [•] WinXP, [ ] Win2K, [ ] Win98, [ ] WinME, [ ] Other
* Running behind NAT/router [ ] Yes & Model [ ], [•] No, [ ] Not sure
* Running firewall [•] Yes, Name [ ], Ver. [ ], or [ ] No
* Running Antivirus [•] Yes, Name [ ] or [ ] No
* Network [•] xDSL, [ ] CABLE, [ ] Dail-Up, [ ] Other
Old 05-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
Linkster
Administrator

Thanks Zer0...we'll look into it.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
Zer0Racer
ioFTPD Scripter

Linkster, hey, I made major changes to the post while you replied. I don't think it is a bug, just something that makes FlashFXP to behave less "smart".
Old 05-15-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I can't seem to reproduce this behavior (regardless of my cache settings), it will always list the dir after connecting to site C.

Transfer A to B
Disconnect A
Connect C
Refresh B
Transfer B to C
Old 05-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
Zer0Racer
ioFTPD Scripter

Thing is I wanna create a queue that does A -> B -> C. Thus pausing transfer A to B after dir is created on B so I can disconnect from A and queue dir from B to C and then leave the computer unattended. After A to B finishes ffxp should take next item in queue (B to C) and transfer it, but dir contents is not refreshed on B after A to B finishes.

You waited until transfer A to B finished? Connected to C, manually refreshed B and then transferred B to C?

Would be great if ffxp refreshed once on source before starting the transfer of a queued dir - even if it is inside that dir when transfer is about to start. If client has been transferring files to that dir for 2 hrs on a slow connection and then has that dir already queued for further transfer to a third server it won't know exactly what the contents is. Note that this only applies when not using the ffxp dir cache, because the cache can update after every file transfer. No such options exists when dir cache is not used.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:58 PM   #6
Zer0Racer
ioFTPD Scripter

Moved thread to Suggestions since it's not really a bug.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Racer
Thing is I wanna create a queue that does A -> B -> C. Thus pausing transfer A to B after dir is created on B so I can disconnect from A and queue dir from B to C and then leave the computer unattended. After A to B finishes ffxp should take next item in queue (B to C) and transfer it, but dir contents is not refreshed on B after A to B finishes.

You waited until transfer A to B finished? Connected to C, manually refreshed B and then transferred B to C?
No, I followed your instructions in your original post. Regardless of the settings FlashFXP did automatically refresh B before transferring B to C;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Racer
Would be great if ffxp refreshed once on source before starting the transfer of a queued dir - even if it is inside that dir when transfer is about to start. If client has been transferring files to that dir for 2 hrs on a slow connection and then has that dir already queued for further transfer to a third server it won't know exactly what the contents is. Note that this only applies when not using the ffxp dir cache, because the cache can update after every file transfer. No such options exists when dir cache is not used.
The cache option to update after every transfer simply removes the dir from cache, when flashfxp requires a list of that dir it requests it from the server since it's no longer cached.

When caching is turned off the cache is always bypassed and it's always requested from the server.

After the transfer from A to B finishes and A is disconnected, B should automatically refresh before the transfer from B to C starts. (That's how it works here)

So if you enter a folder, leave it, queue it, when it comes time to transfer that folder it will always request the listing from the server... if this is not the case then it's a bug. However I couldn't reproduce it.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:55 AM   #8
Zer0Racer
ioFTPD Scripter

Hmm okay. Mine doesn't. Here is a snippet from the log.

A and C is on [L], B is on [R].

Last file and then it disconnects from A and connects to C.

[08:37:52] [R] 200 PORT command successful.
[08:37:52] [R] STOR file.r17
[08:37:53] [R] 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for file.r17.

[08:37:53] [L] RETR file.r17
[08:37:53] [L] 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for file.r17.

[08:38:08] [R] 226 Transfer complete.
[08:38:09] [L] 226 Transfer complete.
[08:38:13] [L] QUIT
[08:38:13] [L] Logged off: A
[08:38:14] [L] Connecting to C

Login
Welcome
[L] PWD
[L] MKD /dir
[L] CWD /dir
[L] PWD
etc.
[08:38:16] [L] LIST -al
[08:38:16] [R] TYPE A <-- first command sent to "B" after A to C dis/connect
[08:38:16] [R] 200 Type set to A.
[08:38:16] [L] PROT C
[08:38:16] [L] 200 Protection set to: Clear.

[08:38:16] [R] PASV
[08:38:16] [R] 227 Entering Passive Mode (xxx,xxx,xx,xxx,yyy,zzz)

[08:38:16] [L] PORT xxx,xxx,xx,xxx,yyy,zzz
[08:38:16] [L] 200 PORT command successful.
[08:38:16] [L] STOR file.sfv
[08:38:17] [L] 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file.sfv.

[08:38:17] [R] RETR file.sfv

As you can see there is no list-command on [R] before it starts transferring the queued dir from B.

At this point ffxp has already created the dir on C and queued the files it thinks is there (only 4 of them since I paused the transfer to be able to queue dir to C). Even if it goes into a subdir, and then back, it lists the contents of the dir we wanna transfer - but now it has already created a queue - with only 4 files in it instead of 17 or 18 files.

Also deleted my FlashFXP.ini, started FlashFXP again and just made a couple of settings to fit my needs. I always get the same result - no list on source before it starts transferring dir from B to C.

I also tried both LIST and STAT -l with and without SSL. Though site B forces me to use Secure File Listing. Could this be the problem?
Old 05-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #9
Zer0Racer
ioFTPD Scripter

Still nothing?

If FlashFXP is supposed to refresh dir listing on source before transferring a dir in queue this might be a bug.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #10
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

In my opinion it's a bug. However no matter what I do I can't reproduce this behavior.

I've tried with a clean FlashFXP.ini and my results are totally different.

After connecting to site C, site B will list and then Site C will list.

[08:50:56] [L] QUIT
[08:50:56] [L] 221 Come back soon!
<--- Disconnect site A

[08:50:56] [L] Logged off: 10.1.1.20
[08:50:56] [L] Connecting to File Server -> IP=10.1.1.50
[08:50:56] [L] Connected to File Server
[08:50:56] [L] CLNT FlashFXP 3.3.7.1131
[08:50:56] [L] 200 Noted.
<--- Site C logged in

[08:50:56] [R] TYPE A
[08:50:56] [R] 200 Type set to A.
[08:50:56] [R] PROT P
[08:50:56] [R] 200 PROT command successful.
[08:50:56] [R] PASV
[08:50:56] [R] 227 Entering Passive Mode (10,1,1,50,234,197)
[08:50:56] [R] Opening data connection IP: 10.1.1.50 PORT: 60101
[08:50:56] [R] LIST -al
[08:50:56] [R] Connected. Negotiating TLSv1 session..
[08:50:56] [R] 150 Data connection accepted from 10.1.1.10:4630; transfer starting.
[08:50:57] [R] TLSv1 negotiation successful...
[08:50:57] [R] TLSv1 encrypted session using cipher AES256-SHA (256 bits)
[08:50:57] [R] 226 Transfer ok. [Free: 1.606 GBytes]
[08:50:57] [R] List Complete: 403 bytes in 0.05 seconds (8.4 KB/s)
<--- Site B refreshed listing

[08:50:57] [L] PWD
[08:50:57] [L] 257 "/" is current directory.
[08:50:57] [L] MKD /RichVideo
[08:50:57] [L] 257 "/RichVideo": directory created.
[08:50:57] [L] CWD /RichVideo
[08:50:57] [L] 250 CWD command successful. "/RichVideo" is current directory.
<--- Site C makes dir, etc
Old 05-21-2006, 06:18 PM   #11
Zer0Racer
ioFTPD Scripter

Okay thanks.

I'll continue testing this to/from different sites and with different settings to see if I can get it to work like it should or have 100% sure way of reproducing the odd behaviour. Maybe it's related to a site-specific setting in Site Manager, something I haven't looked into yet.

EDIT: Okay this didn't take long I checked the Site Manager and saw that I had used the "Use site ip for passive mode connections" option for the source sites. After I disabled/unclicked that option this A -> B -> C queue thing works for me too!

Exactly what does the "Use site ip..." option do and in what way would it affect transfers? Would it change the behaviour in such way that FlashFXP does not refresh the source dir?

Hope you can reproduce it now.

EDIT #2: Guess I spoke too soon Still no list on site B before transfer to C starts. Must be the way I'm queueing the dir that is wrong, or that I just click "Go" after I've queued it. Maybe I have to refresh once manually either inside the dir on B or in parent dir. I dunno. I'm ready to give up now
Old 05-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #12
Zer0Racer
ioFTPD Scripter

Updated to 3.3.7 build 1130 RC1 and ran a few tests, even with dir cache on and update dir cache during transfer and it's still a no go. FlashFXP just won't refresh on source before transferring a queued dir in my A to B to C scenario.

Must've been dumb luck when it actually worked ONE time earlier. Or FlashFXP is very sensitive to exactly how and what you do prior and after you've queued an incomplete dir from one place to another - but it really is complete when transfer is about to start. I wanna be able to queue stuff and rely on FlashFXP carrying out that task for me while I have to do other things; work, play games, be afk or whatever.

I must say bug.

Anyone else that care to try and reproduce this behaviour? Or am I in the twilight zone here?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:58 AM   #13
Linkster
Administrator

Zer0Racer, would you mind trying 3.3.8 build 1133 RC2? I believe this may be resolved.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:58 PM   #14
Zer0Racer
ioFTPD Scripter

Linkster, okay of course I will. I'm away from home a couple of days now to get some work done but I will try RC2 as soon as I get home again. Hope I haven't been too much of a pain in your a** lately :P

/ZR
Old 05-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #15
Zer0Racer
ioFTPD Scripter

Doesn't seem to work.

Tags
cache, dir, directory, flashfxp, transfer