Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 06-13-2002, 07:30 PM   #1
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Default Priority Queue (input needed)

Many people have asked me to add this feature.. It's been on my TO-DO list for ages. I decided to re-visit this feature today and started thinking about how it would work, After some brain storming I've come to the conclusion that I'm not entirely sure how everyone wants it to work.

So what I would like from you is a detailed explaination of how you think it should work and I'll go from there. The basic fundamentals of what the prior queue will achieve and how it will achieve it in theory.

Due to limitations of the current design it's not possible to make it function exactly the same way as transferring *.sfv files first does.

Old 06-13-2002, 08:25 PM   #2
MidKnight
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

can you make an extra tab like the skip list so extentions can be add, then flash will transfer any of these before anything else?
Old 06-13-2002, 08:31 PM   #3
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Hummm... what about to make a dialog box where an user will type file extensions (as .txt, .nfo, .sfv, .zip, etc...) as the dialog box that appear on "Skip List"?. The first file extension will be the first file type that will be transfered (if exists on the queue), the second file extension of this list will be the second file type that will transfered (if exists on the queue) and so on...

As "Skip List" window, you could put "When to queue priority" checkboxes: Automatic File Transfers, Manaul File Transfers or Both. Also, you can create, under "Options" menu an option called "Queue priority" where it would be the dialog box, the chekboxes, etc...
Old 06-13-2002, 09:09 PM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Hmm, I thought I explained myself rather well but now I'm not sure.

That's not what I was asking.. and your replies are irreverent to my question.

What I wanted was the basic fundamentals of what the prior queue will achieve and how it will achieve it in theory.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:15 PM   #5
voystar

First off thx bigstar for putting this on a lil priority on the TO-DO list Well let's try to give you my understanding on the priority list.

People want to upload certain files first (same for download), because some sight might specify or require to upload some files first, so this is done already with the *.sfv. Now here is what users want (speaking of myself and trying to include others).

Declare our own files/file-extensions which should be uploaded first (not only the sfv). So that you could include a new Tab next to the Skip list for "queue rules" or whatever u wanna call it and give the user an option to do the following:
  • User can specify certain files, global extensions, folders
  • Rules can be specified in a drop-down menu such as
  • Upload/Download first (Rewrite it as Top of queue if ya want)
  • Upload/Download last (or put on bottom of queue... however)
  • Upload/Download after {user can specify file/extension}
  • Upload/Download before {user can specify file/extension}
  • Extensions should be multiple too, meaning *.r* should be possible well u know this I bet

I hope I explained my needs a little bit. This is how I understand it. Let's take a test case: SITE needs "sample" folder first including the *.nfo and the SAMPLE*.mpg file in it; now the rules manager (woo another cool name for it) should be able to clarify it, so that I only have to take my premade folder from my harddrive shove em in the queue and flashfxp uploads them in the right order.
Another sample case: User "Mr X" wants always that the *.iloveflashfxp gets downloaded first because he has a fetish with a talkative developer. So FlashFXP should allways download that file first.

Got my point?

I don't like Rain in New York, you never know what's in it
voystar
Old 06-13-2002, 11:27 PM   #6
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Well this isn't on the priority list and it wont be added in the immediate future. (It will not make it into the next non-beta release) However in order to add this feature I need a better understand about how people expect it to work.

Hmm so there should be two seperate lists then, an upload and a download?

Moving the file to front or back of queue wasn't even a consideration. Don't you think that's a bit overkill?
Old 06-13-2002, 11:35 PM   #7
Dazog
FlashFXP Beta Tester

it comes down to the smallest file

Mostly people want to grab the smaller of the files first then the larger ones

atleast this is what I do I que up the smaller files

OR
the begining of archives .rar .00 or .ace ... First

OR

By Time/Date uploaded of the files in the current Dir

?

Just some ideas on how to or what people want?
Old 06-13-2002, 11:55 PM   #8
voystar

Well bigstar what was your understanding and thinking about the problem up until now? I understood the most posts like my first sample, uploading/downloading the *nfo first or Sample or so. If not moving it in the queue how else do queue rules apply.

The last post gave some other ideas I didn't consider are very possible to think of and would be nice to include too yeah.

Its dark at night
voystar
Old 06-14-2002, 12:06 AM   #9
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

how about have <everything> entry always there and then users can add strings and move them above/below <everything>?

or..i don't know if ppl really need upload last...maybe just list of strings in which order you want files u/led 1st?

well, sort of queue is somewthing differnt from priority list..
Old 06-14-2002, 12:07 AM   #10
MidKnight
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

i have to agree with voystar first post, something like this would be a hell of a feature to have. i think you would make many, many people happy if they had this type of setup..

Count me as #2
Old 06-14-2002, 12:45 AM   #11
voystar

MxxCon wrote:
Quote:
or..i don't know if ppl really need upload last...maybe just list of strings in which order you want files u/led 1st?
well, sort of queue is somewthing differnt from priority list.
I don't think so either, but I mean one more string is not that bad of a thing and maybe some weirdos need it.
And what is the difference? I seriously don't know since I prioritize some files or sort 'em in front... well I guess sorting is more complex.

bigstar: yeah I think 2 seperate lists would be appropriate here, since there might apply different rules for upload/download. And NO moving files in the queue an overkill? I'd love that.

Again I have to ask: What did you understand under a priority list? If not a queue ruling.

Even New York is dark at night
voystar
Old 06-14-2002, 01:01 AM   #12
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Well to be honest after seeing your posts it's nothing like I had in mind. Now I'm starting to worry what you want isn't going to be possible without alot of major rewriting. In which case this feature will not be added. sorry.

Let me explain how the .sfv is transferred first.
(It's very simple)

When FlashFXP enters a folder the content is inserted into the queue directly below the folder + the index, now when it's a .sfv file it's added directly below the folder.

Obviously from what you guys are suggesting this method will not work.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:01 AM   #13
Shark
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Firstly, my impression of this issue is that it has gotten way out of hand.

The concept I (and others) had in mind is as follows:
(please understand this is a little hard to put into text bigstar)

The settings/options for this would be in the filters section, under a Priority List tab or simular. It would have the same basic look as the Skip List tab/section.

Having an enable tick box, a list of files, file mask's rather. With add/delete and possibly a right click edit option to make it a dir (if this is possible, or if not, dont bother)

My impression on priority within the priority list is not a viable option and not needed in any case, the only file which should always have supreme priority would be the .sfv file, the rest of the files within the priority list would basically be put to the top depending on which FFXP saw first when being queued.

I understand this is a little complex and I have attempted to put this all in an understandable text.

Please let me know if any clarification is needed, or any other questions about this.

P.S. I do not recommend a priority list in a backwards manner like someone suggested, ie. having a list which makes certain files go to the bottom of the queue. This is totally unneeded.

The only other option to have in the right click pop box (when file mask is selected) would be maybe, and only maybe.. a tickbox for upload / download. So you can have either or both.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:23 PM   #14
voystar

bigstar: Itwas indeed a lot what I suggested, but as I said... only suggestions it wasn't intended to be a complete list of MUST have features,I just tried to include everything I could think of. Shark narrowed it down to the basics with which I think the most would be very happy with.
Quote:
When FlashFXP enters a folder the content is inserted into the queue directly below the folder + the index, now when it's a .sfv file it's added directly below the folder.
Like Shark said... don't only look for sfv files, but our own specified files/extensions. I think the old method should work fine here too, just add a little interface as Shark suggested.

Internet Cafe Keyboards suck
voystar
Old 06-14-2002, 05:52 PM   #15
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Quote:
Like Shark said... don't only look for sfv files, but our own specified files/extensions. I think the old method should work fine here too, just add a little interface as Shark suggested.
I was under the impression that people wanted a specific order of patterns matching... say if you had *.txt and *.html but wanted *.txt to transfer first. With the existing design this isn't possible. Not just *.sfv always first.

Tags
achieve, feature, files, queue, work