Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 07-11-2004, 05:54 PM   #1

Default Connfection Refused - Probably my router..

First of all, I'd like to say great job guys! Thanks for the great Client which has uploaded every part of my site for me!

Now into the gruesome bits. Theres only 1 thing keeping me from registering, that being - it doesn't work! Heh, seriously though...

v 2.1, build 924, unregistered
Windows XP
Router : Sitecom, xDSL / Cable Broadband Router DC-202
No firewall
No Antivirus
600KBS Cable, NTLWorld

Whenever I try to connect to any site, not just my own, but any, I get this lovely error message:

"( Connection Failed : Connection Refused )"

Now, here is the confusing bit. Me and my sister share the same internet connection (and same printer), which is why we are networked. However, I cannot connect to any site. My sister's PC can connect to all sites, using my log in names and passwords.

I have matched the options (by pressing F6 , and comparing them over good ol' MSN), so they are exactly the same.
The only difference is that I am using a DMZ , while my sister is not.

If anyone has any ideas of what could be causing this, I would be most greatful for a reply.
Anyone have any ideas? I'm not a fool with computers, and can sort out most problems, but this one has me stumped.

Thank you.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

try to remove yourself from dmz and see if it fixes this problem.
some routers could be wierd like that...

it's totally up to you, but i wouldn't be in dmz mode and without any firewall or antivirus...such setup is really insecure
Old 07-12-2004, 10:14 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated.

I took of the DMZ, but it just killed my Internet Connection. Completely. I couldn't connect to any sites with it off, and the error message changed to:

" Unable to resolve host: ftp.suicidalpeanuts.co.uk "

I guess I have to be on DMZ. If your out of ideas completely, no problem, I'll just fiddle with the router abit more and see if I can get it working.

As for the point about being insecure with no antivirus or firewall, I have no concerns there, because everyone on the net loves me.
Seriously though, I don't worry about trojans and stuff, I've done fine so far, hope it continues in the future.

Once again, thank you for your help.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:15 PM   #4
slash
FlashFXP Beta Tester

A note about security: without a decent firewall or antivirus program, you are prone to pretty much any random worm finding your ip, and having its way with your computer. This has probably already happened, and you are simply unaware of it. I would highly recommend that you download a free antivirus program as well as a firewall. Your router can only protect you while you are not in DMZ mode.

Check to see if you can update your router's firmware, this can often solve problems. Other than that... have you engaged any sort of internal security on your router? Can you connect to your router when you aren't in dmz mode?
Old 07-12-2004, 02:17 PM   #5
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest
I took of the DMZ, but it just killed my Internet Connection. Completely. I couldn't connect to any sites with it off, and the error message changed to:
Unable to resolve host: ftp.suicidalpeanuts.co.uk
I guess I have to be on DMZ. If your out of ideas completely, no problem, I'll just fiddle with the router abit more and see if I can get it working.
you probably need to modify your DNS server addresses..they should be either ip of your router or ip of dns servers of you ISP.
i'd suggest you look at your sister's computer settings and make adjustments to yours to be of similar config
Quote:
Seriously though, I don't worry about trojans and stuff, I've done fine so far, hope it continues in the future.
you should...hoping to be lucky isn't the way to go..if not for firewall i would strongly recommend having an antivirus.

Tags
connect, connection, ideas, router, site