Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 03-01-2004, 01:23 AM   #16
hanzify

Quote:
Originally posted by bigstar
The problem is with adding the language support to the existing design, it's been quite difficult and I haven't made any progress.
It is very easy, there are two ways:

1, you can give translator the .dfm file and ASCII resource, after they finished the translation, you can re-compile the program.
2, translator can use Multilizer (localization software), after they finished the translation, Multilizer can build a localization file, for example: FlashFXP.chs. chs means chinese.
when user use FlashFXP in chinese OS, than program would call FlashFXP.chs to show the chinese interface.

Old 03-01-2004, 05:07 AM   #17
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

hanzify, i think that's not the problem.

I worked time ago with Bigstar making and testing the spanish localization of all FlashFXP text strings (on dialogs, menus, etc ...). The problem arises when the size of the english text string (and the text string container too) is a lot of smaller than the translated one. Yes, you can use abbreviations on the translations but there are text strings (at least on spanish) that cannot be easily abbreviated and lost their meaning with a bad abbreviation.

An example: on Preferences/Display tab there's an option called 'Remember last used site in Site Manager'. The spanish translation will be: 'Recordar, en el Administrador de servidores, el último servidor utilizado', you can see the difference. I used on this string the word 'servidor' (server) instead 'sitio' (site) because I think it matches better the meaning of the option. Anyway if I use the word 'sitio' it doesn't fit either. The same thing will happen with 'ReSort new/modified files (local listing)' option.

If you don't plan the translation carefully, from a design point of view, you'll encounter a translated dialog with mis-aligned text strings, text strings that hides other strings, incomplete text string due to size limitations ... a complete mess. Possible solutions could be that Bigstar makes auto-expanded string containers (that will accomodate automatically their size to the translated text string), bigger dialog screens (or string containers) or review each translation to fix the mis-aligned strings.

In my opinion i prefer to wait and have a perfect solution from Bigstar on this subject
Old 03-01-2004, 09:25 AM   #18
hanzify

There are no problem on Chinese, because the size of the chinese text string is always smaller than english

Old 03-01-2004, 03:28 PM   #19
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Ok, but what we do with other languages that used to contain bigger text strings?. Bigstar needs to create (imho) a global solution.

Tags
gladly, language, offer, translate, translation