Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 01-28-2003, 04:04 PM   #1
FXPQ

Default Privacy Issue

Hello,

I am a long-time user of CuteFTP. But after I upgraded my computer to Windows XP Professional, it is constantly crashing. For about a week I am looking at the various FTP clients available on CNET to replace CuteFTP.

I downloaded a couple, including FlashFXP. I find FlashFXP the best of them all, with SmartFTP as my second choice.

The only thing that I am concerned about FlashFXP is the privacy issue that is being "debated" on the Internet (before I purchase anything, I do a lot of researching).

I am not a computer "newbie." On the contrary, I am very knowledgeable about computers and networks. So most of the things people were writing on this forum, CNET, and other places were libel to me.

I cannot test myself because I do not yet have a registered version (I'm still on trial), but from what I understand, once you enter the key it connects to FlashFXP's server and (1) logs your IP with the date/time, (2) records your first and last name, and (3) validates your key.

I don't mind that that much, but I do have one problem...

Recently, a U.S. court ordered Verizon (and other ISPs to come) to hand over records of users who downloaded MP3s, "warez," and other unmentionable things (you know).

I admit that I download MP3s, sometimes via FTP (with friends, etc.). If I use a registered version of FlashFXP, will it record and transfer information (e.g., FTP servers, number of files, etc.) to a FlashFXP database?

I don't believe ISPs will submit such data to the Feds because they can afford to appeal, and will most likely win. But I do worry about small companies like FlashFXP.

Thank you.

P.S. Even though I don't have a problem of FlashFXP recording my name, I have never heard of any software that does this (other than Microsoft). This "unique" FTP client makes one wonder if it is developed by government programmers with the RIAA as an alternative method to fighting MP3 downloaders. Are you guys really a private business?
Old 01-28-2003, 05:10 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

FlashFXP is NOT any type of spyware.
those "debates" you see is from one single user who posted on cnet, betanews and slashdot. his only issue is he can not find properly cracked FlashFXP. so when he used known warezed registry key flashfxp automaticaly unregistred. before that when you did LiveUpdate with known warezed key FlashFXP would just open www.bsa.org website (not redirect your sites.dat like that person says)
unlike you are talking about some other site/msgboard, please share with us so we can address those issues.

FlashFXP does not monitor anything you do, anywhere you connect or anything you transfer.

when you registred FlashFXP and do liveupdate, the only thing that's transmited is one-way hash of your registration key to make sure that you entered it correctly and not using publicly known warezed key. that's it. not your name, not your sites or downloaded sites are being transmited.

here's FlashFXP's offical privacy policy that's strongly respected and enforced https://oss.azurewebsites.net/privacy.php
also if you search this message you'll find this topic have been covered to it's fullest and anybody's worries have been put to rest.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:29 PM   #3
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Default Re: Privacy Issue

Quote:
Originally posted by FXPQ
The only thing that I am concerned about FlashFXP is the privacy issue that is being "debated" on the Internet (before I purchase anything, I do a lot of researching).

I am not a computer "newbie." On the contrary, I am very knowledgeable about computers and networks. So most of the things people were writing on this forum, CNET, and other places were libel to me.

If you believe everything what you read on Internet then you are a newbie. You say that you do "a lot of researching before purchasing anything"... ok, then search this board for related posts about that lie (spyware on FlashFXP) or use a sniffer before posting this same post again.

There's no "debate" on Internet about that cause there aren't FACTS about spyware inside FlashFXP, there are only LIES. Period.

Anyway that subject is a waste of time

Quote:
P.S. Even though I don't have a problem of FlashFXP recording my name, I have never heard of any software that does this (other than Microsoft). This "unique" FTP client makes one wonder if it is developed by government programmers with the RIAA as an alternative method to fighting MP3 downloaders. Are you guys really a private business?.

LOL
Old 01-28-2003, 05:44 PM   #4
FXPQ

Thanks for the reply. I don't know about *that* individual, but it seems that more than one person was complaining. But I guess you are right that those with pirated versions are the complainers. I am not complaining about FlashFXP's verification process, I am only inquiring about what information will be stored.

You say the name isn't recorded? But in the privacy policy, Section Software: Registered Version, it states, "Things like your name/company..." is collected.

So from what I understand, the following information is collected:
  • Date/Time
  • IP address
  • Key
  • Name and/or company name

Here is my concern - most software companies (and I've purchased expensive software like Adobe Photoshop; $600 USD) do not record the name of the user when verifying a valid key, simply because it is irrelevant to verification.

I recall installing Photoshop offline and it did not need to connect to any server. I assume FlashFXP requires an Internet connection to install. That's fine, but why record the name?

But I guess it can't do anyone harm if it doesn't collect any more information.

You see, imagine this scenario:

You go download and/or share your MP3s with friends, and FlashFXP records this to a database. The same database that contains an IP address, which can be tracked faster with a name (or company name).

I'm not saying FlashFXP does this, but that WAS my worry.

I don't mean to offend the developers of FlashFXP with such worries, but after the U.S. Government + RIAA pressuring ISPs, software developers, and miscellaneous services to report things, I started to be very cautious.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:47 PM   #5
FXPQ

DYN_DaTa: Before calling me a "newbie," learn how to read. I said I do not have a registered version yet (I am still on trial). Therefore, I cannot test myself!

This forum is to inquire about things before purchasing. And that's what I am doing. If this forum is not a place to inquire about sales, and only to offend people, then screw it.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:16 PM   #6
Shark
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:

You say the name isn't recorded? But in the privacy policy, Section Software: Registered Version, it states, "Things like your name/company..." is collected.

So from what I understand, the following information is collected:
  • Date/Time
  • IP address
  • Key
  • Name and/or company name

Here is my concern - most software companies (and I've purchased expensive software like Adobe Photoshop; $600 USD) do not record the name of the user when verifying a valid key, simply because it is irrelevant to verification.

I recall installing Photoshop offline and it did not need to connect to any server. I assume FlashFXP requires an Internet connection to install. That's fine, but why record the name?

But I guess it can't do anyone harm if it doesn't collect any more information.

You see, imagine this scenario:

You go download and/or share your MP3s with friends, and FlashFXP records this to a database. The same database that contains an IP address, which can be tracked faster with a name (or company name).

I'm not saying FlashFXP does this, but that WAS my worry.

I think there is a little confusion here.. FlashFXP only collects the information you mentioned when you register the software to prevent people registering illegally..

When using or updating the FlashFXP, as Mxxcon said, it only submits part of your key to verify the registration and thats it..

No other information on you is submitted or sent or anything from then on..
Old 01-28-2003, 06:28 PM   #7
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

your name and company info is collected during the purchase of FlashFXP license. not when you actualy use FlashFXP/liveupdate.
you can install FlashFXP 'offline' without any problems. there are people who don't use it to connect to inet at all, but rather all connections are on local networks.

online credit card payment is not even handled by CEDSoft, but rather by ShareIT!. their business is to help small shareware developers, like FlashFXP here, to offer secure online transactions.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:31 PM   #8
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Quote:
DYN_DaTa: Before calling me a "newbie," learn how to read. I said I do not have a registered version yet (I am still on trial). Therefore, I cannot test myself!

Read my previous post: "If you believe everything what you read on Internet then you are a newbie"... Ok?

Quote:
Originally posted by FXPQ This forum is to inquire about things before purchasing. And that's what I am doing. If this forum is not a place to inquire about sales, and only to offend people, then screw it.

Of course, but use the search button on this forum before asking FlashFXP-spyware questions. If you aren't a newbie you should know that the FIRST thing that you must do in an official program forum is to use the search function.

Anyway case closed for me.

Tags
flashfxp, ftp, mp3s, privacy, things