Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 08-10-2002, 02:06 PM   #1
diddy

Default help with transfering to friend

hi well i am trying to transfer a file to my friend using fxp . so i am fxping from one place to another heh go figure. and i consistently get this error

425 Cannot open data connection.
ABOR

and it works without a router but since i got my router just recently i have been unable to determine what to do. any help is great thanx
Old 08-10-2002, 02:36 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Many routers are not compatible with FXP because they use NAT (Network Address Translations)

NAT provides protocol helpers which monitor known protocols and corrects any mistakes made by by the users software.

For example on a basic LAN w/ router you may have a network IP of 192.168.0.1 and a external IP of 69.11.52.115. To all of the applications on your system your IP is 192.168.0.1

When performing basic FTP commands the client may send the PORT command which is your IP (192.168.0.1) followed by the port, behind a router this IP would be incorrect, and when performing a FXP transfer PORT uses the IP of the other FTP server.

Now NAT automatically changes the IP to match your external IP, which in turn breaks FXP.

Normally NAT only monitors port 21 for the FTP protocol so running the FTP servers on a non-standard port (i.e. 245) should eliminate the problem.
Old 08-11-2002, 02:00 PM   #3
oxygene

On my router configuration page I have an option labeled "Use non-standard FTP port [____]". Finally I know what this is for

Tags
abor, data, friend, router, works