Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 05-28-2002, 05:36 AM   #1
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Default FlashFXP does not call home

There have been a lot of rumors lately that FlashFXP calls home, reports usage, etc, this is entirely not true. We value your privacy and would never do anything like that. These rumors are completely false. We have the deepest repect for our customers.

For whatever reason these people are trying to make us look bad. These comments have been appearing everywhere, Download sites, message boards, chat rooms. I would be lying to you if I said it wasn't effecting sales, It's hurting our sales, If it continues it may ruin us. We need your support to make it through this.

I would like to make it clear that the registered version offers LiveUpdate which keeps the user up to date on the latest versions. This feature is provided as a benefit to the user. After registration it immediately performs an update to insure you are using the latest version. We release so many versions that it helps us tremendously if the user is using the latest version as soon as they've registered. Downloading and installing the update is completely optional.

LiveUpdate can be disabled, it's totally up to the user whether or not they want to check for newer versions.

When a LiveUpdate is performed no personal information is transmitted. A hash of your registration key is sent to validate that you are in fact using a registered version.

If you're still not satisfied you could always run a packet sniffer, A packet sniffer shows all of the data being sent to/from your machine.

Don't know where to find a packet sniffer, Below are some links.

AnalogX PacketMon

Iris Network Traffic Analyzer

Ethereal

WinDump
Old 05-28-2002, 07:13 PM   #2
LoKiDarkGod

First of all, let me say I AM a registered user.. I bought yer product cause I used it for so long and I believed it was worth the price, but previously I had used copies from questionable sources.. I was pointed to this thread by another thread listed under the public beta testing section and after reading this I feel I must reply.

You say that FlashFXP does NOT call home, that it is merely a function of liveupdate, but in my previous versions I did notice that when you install a new version/key it does contact your server, liveupdate or otherwise, as soon as you run the program. And with my previous version usage it does tell you that you are using an invalid key. There were no warnings that it was performing this update, or that it was "calling home" for any reason. This lead to people finding other ways of getting around this protection scheme, as I'm sure you are aware of, like setting the liveupdate settings to invalid DNS entries, etc.

Now i'm not validating trying to bypass the protection you may or may not have included in your software, like I said, I now legally own my copy. But I couldn't go on reading these threads saying FlashFXP doesn't call home, when obviously it does, and checks registration, wether for legit purposes or not.

Also, one last thing. You stated that the LiveUpdate sends a Hash of the registration in order to process and update the software, I think this is a bad idea. This then invalidates trial users legitly updating the software they are testing.

I purchased your software for the simple fact that I believed it was worth the purchase price. And I can tell you flat out, it took more then 30 days for me to decide that. I used FlashFXP for months, through several different versions, before I finally decided it was indeed worth the purchase.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 05-29-2002, 12:02 AM   #3
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

The only time it automatically checks for a newer version is when you first enter your registration key, Updating to a newer version does not force a LiveUpdate. Also while a LiveUpdate is being performed you see it happening on your screen.

Quote:
Also, one last thing. You stated that the LiveUpdate sends a Hash of the registration in order to process and update the software, I think this is a bad idea. This then invalidates trial users legitly updating the software they are testing.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, LiveUpdate is only available in the registered version and is never performed in the trial version.

When a LiveUpdate is performed it's fully disclosed to the user. LiveUpdate is mentioned both in our privacy policy and our license agreement.

https://oss.azurewebsites.net/privacy.php

We understand that it make take longer than 30-days of trial usage to determine if FlashFXP is right for you, and that is why FlashFXP remains fully functional even after 30-days.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:56 AM   #4
NathanO
FlashFXP Registered User

"If it continues it may ruin us."

Sh!t man, your scaring me. ( Yes I am a registered user. And a very happy one, it was a great purchase )

I also 'tried' out FlashFXP for a while before I bought it, I was sick of not always having a valid key ! So yes, the checking to see if a key is valid does work, and encourages purchase.

Thanks for great software ! (and support)
Old 06-07-2002, 10:03 AM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

My intent wasn't to scare anyone, but I felt this was something everyone should be aware of.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:13 PM   #6
Joker

Default make source public?

there is an eazy way of making this kind of rumors useless.
release the code
Old 07-01-2002, 04:31 PM   #7
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

That's not a practical solution, If people can't take my word then they can do their own research. You don't need the source code, Just a packet sniffer.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:50 AM   #8
LamBras
FlashFXP Registered User

Releasing source code would'nt do any good here IMHO.
The morons spreading those made up rumours are probably incapable of reading source code... but they can l33ch w4r3z, all right?

I have tried and registered 4 ftp clients (bullet proof, cute ftp, to name the two most known) until I found out that flashfxp is the only one that fits my needs for perfomance and features.

Best regards
Bjoern, registered user of flashfxp
Old 07-02-2002, 05:31 PM   #9
oxygene

Releasing the sources would not be very smart from bigstars point of view...
Old 07-03-2002, 03:58 AM   #10
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Default Re: make source public?

Quote:
Originally posted by Joker
there is an eazy way of making this kind of rumors useless.
release the code

mmm, i'm starting to believe that those kind of comments and the spread of false rumours are coming from people related with another ftp clients... because it cannot exist as much stupidity in this world... too much envies...
Old 07-03-2002, 09:30 AM   #11
floris
FlashFXP Registered User

No matter what the case is, if someone downloads a 'warez' version of this program, and their whole computer gets registered, and then complain about their privacy .. the moment they installed the product, they no longer had the rights to any privacy (in my eyes).

It is a shame that 'rumours' or rather incorrect information about a product is spread to ruin a possible great company. I just purchased the product, because I tried it out and liked it. I won't purchase a product just because I heard some third party review. I wouldn't even NOT buy a product just because someone said 'They might not be cool'.

People should use their brain, and not their warez friends when they purchase it. I am happy that we had an official reply from the developer, which gives me the idea that they care about their product and would like to share correct information with us about it.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:59 PM   #12
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Quote:
Originally posted by floris
People should use their brain...

Nah, the problem it's that some childs come to this forum and post some stupid & dumb sthings like "a rumour that blah blah blah" don't have a brain or they don't know how to use it... and if they have one they don't know WHAT is a firewall or a packet sniffer... too lazy, too ignorant and too inmature.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:35 PM   #13
floris
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by DYN_DaTa

Nah, the problem it's that some childs come to this forum and post some stupid & dumb sthings like "a rumour that blah blah blah" don't have a brain or they don't know how to use it... and if they have one they don't know WHAT is a firewall or a packet sniffer... too lazy, too ignorant and too inmature.
If user used their brain, they instead of just assume something that they think it is, they would have asked, what is a packet sniffer then? So they could learn. Anyway. I am lazy too Just hopefully not acting as immature as they are. (im 25, so I shouldn't be).

I have been using FFXP for a few hours now, and I am happy! up/downloading etc on my sites goes so much better & quicker and cleaner. Error handling is great too. Worth its money.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:49 PM   #14
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

They never would ask first, they prefer to spread false rumours to harm the reputation of the program and author. When i talked about inmaturity i was referring to those childs who are using FlashFXP (a pìrated copy most of them) and have the balls to post in the official FlashFXP forum posts about FALSE spyware-related rumours.

They're too lazy cause they CAN'T spend 2 minutes of their lives to read the Privacy Policy and a well explained post of the developer explaining the TRUTH of all of this. I'm tired of all those pathetic childs... i'm very tired..
Old 07-05-2002, 08:45 PM   #15
bjay125

First of all, I am a registered user, and I have found flash to be the best FTP client available, which is why I purchased a key.

But, let's look at this closely -- when I enter a key, it automatically connects to the server, and determines if I have a valid key, and if I need an update. So if someone at flashfxp were to look at the logs, they would have my IP address, my key, and the version I am using. This most definitely fits the definition of "phoning home". Say what you will, this IS phoning home. Whether this procedure is outlined in the privacy statement or elsewhere, it IS phoning home.

With that being said, I see nothing wrong with this procedure for valid users. Actually I personally like it. But I can see why people who are concerned with privacy may not like this. And of course it helps thwart the warezer, which was probably its primary purpose in the first place.

I certainly hope flash doesn't fold. I love the program. Like I said, I don't have any problems with it phoning home, but let's get real - saying it doesn't phone home is simply a lie.

Tags
liveupdate, packet, user, version, versions