Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 06-30-2002, 09:26 AM   #1
EsKi

Default Nasty rumour about FlashFXP 2.x

There is a nasty rumour going on about FlashFXP 2.x that it sends out the sites.dat to some remote server. The rumour implies that Charles is sending them to himself for personal use. In any event, its a ridiculous rumour that is gaining steam on the internet. It might be a good idea to post something on the main site to dispel such myths. I know its a bit silly to have to do, but it might help to rid the internet of this rumour before it gets too widespread. Once Charles makes an official statement about this, I'll be sure to direct my mailing lists (where I heard the rumour first) to that statement.
Old 06-30-2002, 03:23 PM   #2
Shark
FlashFXP Beta Tester

This has been posted in another section on the message board.

FlashFXP does not and will never send any files or your information to ANYWHERE.

The only thing FlashFXP does send, is when you are checking for a new update, PART of your registration key. Thats it. No files, no personal info.

Hope that clears your question up
Old 06-30-2002, 03:37 PM   #3
EsKi

Can you tell me where this was discussed elsewhere in the forums? I looked before I posted, but didn't see anything.
Old 06-30-2002, 03:44 PM   #4
EsKi

I looked around some more and found this thread: http://forum.flashfxp.com/showthread...&threadid=1076

It is quite disturbing to me (a legally registered user) that these rumours are causing you guys so much problems. I wish there was something I could do to help out. It would be a tragic day if something like this eventually led to the demise of such a great project.
Old 06-30-2002, 03:48 PM   #5
Linkster
Administrator

even though its listed many times on our msg board and website, here is a link againFlashFXP Privacy Policy

There is not much more that we can do to make it clear to everyone.
Old 07-01-2002, 03:00 AM   #6
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

A silly rumor, a simple answer. No.. As Linskter suggested please review our FlashFXP Privacy Policy
Old 07-01-2002, 03:45 AM   #7
Fedorov

The only good thing to take from these idiots is that FlashFXP is so popular.

So many people use it which means you have a product where MORE people just want a "cracked" copy rather than pay for it.

If FlashFXP was free and didn't have the verification of the licence then you would only hear good things from these morons.

You can't win either way!

Keep up the good work and keep that protection in there to annoy all the cheapskates.

Fed.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:26 AM   #8
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Damn people... again with the same STUPID rumours... if all of you are so DUMB & STUPID that you believe in those rumours LEARN to use a FIREWALL or a PACKET SNIFFER and you'll see that FlashFXP ISN'T sending any file.

Anyway close your MOUTH and STOP spreading those rumours cause they're pathetic and are harming the reputation of the BEST FTP client for windows.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:10 AM   #9
CEDIII
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by bigstar
A silly rumor, a simple answer. No.. As Linskter suggested please review our FlashFXP Privacy Policy

AMEN to that
Old 07-01-2002, 08:51 AM   #10
oxygene

What about a short explanation or a link on the live-update-window?
People see that flashfxp is connecting to somewhere and they don't know what it exactly does. There is so much spyware out there; the first-time users do not trust the apps. Even users that do not plan to crack the software could decide to use another ftp/fxp program because they think the autor could be 'evil', especialy when they heard about the rumors.

So I think it would be a good idea to say that only a part of the key is sent to check if it is not pirated.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:26 AM   #11
Fedorov

Now why didn't I think of that - good idea, would help calm the fears of a lot of new users.

Fed.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:46 PM   #12
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally posted by oxygene
What about a short explanation or a link on the live-update-window?
People see that flashfxp is connecting to somewhere and they don't know what it exactly does. There is so much spyware out there; the first-time users do not trust the apps. Even users that do not plan to crack the software could decide to use another ftp/fxp program because they think the autor could be 'evil', especialy when they heard about the rumors.

So I think it would be a good idea to say that only a part of the key is sent to check if it is not pirated.
This has already been explained in our privacy policy. The link has been mentioned several times above.. Due to the nature of LiveUpdate it would not be pratical to display this information on the LiveUpdate screen (as it's already too late-since it's automatic)
Old 07-01-2002, 06:34 PM   #13
myg

It's a shame something like this would arise from such a rich software program.

It's probably the most basic, and greated ftp software out there.

I used to use bullet proof ftp, then cuteftp, now this.

None of those rumours are true, such lies.

Old 07-02-2002, 05:39 PM   #14
oxygene

Quote:
This has already been explained in our privacy policy. The link has been mentioned several times above
I think that a lot of people don't read such policys because they use to be long and boring. An information box before the first LiveUpdate with a short description of what happens next and maybe again with the link for the users who want to read the policy. Thats just an idea. Possibly this would stop the rumours (?)

I just think that something should be done against these rumours because potential users can believe it because they have read so much about spy-software in the internet. Sometimes it is not enough to write a policy, but you have to point with your finger on it and shout "i'm the good guy!"
Old 07-02-2002, 08:41 PM   #15
EsKi

Quote:
I think that a lot of people don't read such policys because they use to be long and boring.
I agree .. There are privacy policies for EVERYTHING these days .. Who has time to scrutinize them all, especially when most of them are so technical/legal sounding? .. Expecting the users to read the privacy policy might be OK if it wouldn't hurt you if they didn't, but in this case it does hurt you .. Charles has already said that the rumour(s) are substantially hurting FlashFXP sales .. In order to counteract this rumour, the truth must become more visible ..

Tags
charles, internet, nasty, rumour, statement