Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Bug Reports Report bugs here. (non-beta releases only)

Old 02-23-2002, 05:17 AM   #1
BataL

Default Can't download... connection timeout

Hi,

since i am using dsl i can't download files from ftp's (for example ftp.debian.org)

i can login on that ftp's, and the files are downloaded for a few seconds, but then it stops. 0.0k, nothing. and then i get a connection timeout.

but there is one more thing that seems strangfe to me:
when i try to download s.th. from private ftp's created with serv-u or the g6 ftp server there is no problem at all.

so i thought there might be something wrong in the preferences. i added a noop command every 29 secs *g* but that didn't work.

thats the actual state of my ptoblem...

thx
Old 02-23-2002, 09:20 AM   #2
Ethanol
FlashFXP Registered User

I have also had this problem for the past 10 to 14 days, and have never experienced it so badly before this time. I don't know if it's to do with a new version or something.

I am also on DSL, and when I connect to certain FTPs, the files begin to transfer but then suddenly stop at 0K/s. The way I have Flash set-up, it will time-out after 2 minutes of no activity, if by then it has disconnected from the server, it will reconnect. It will then continue to transfer the file up to 10 times. I have been getting a lot of incomplete files, which stay in the queue. It also causes a lot of corruption on files that do eventually complete.

I have noticed this on about half of the FTPs which I have been connecting to (about 10). The other half I have had no problem with whatsoever. It happens with both uploads and downloads.

It has also been happening to a friend of mine who is on cable. He too uses FlashFXP. However, we can connect to one another's FTPs with no problems whatsoever.

Interesting to see that it isn't just myself experiencing this problem.

Cheers.
Old 02-23-2002, 09:44 AM   #3
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

Well, I have a DSL hooked up at home, where I have flashfxp running virtually 24/7 for the last 6 months, only stopping to upgrade every other day.

I've yet to experience anything like what you experience, so I'm pretty sure it's not directly caused by the program. It might be indirectly affected by a poor configuration or some external element (firewall, routers, the servers you're using, the ISPs own ingenious ideas of a good setup), so it's pretty hard to pinpoint without any further info.
Old 02-23-2002, 12:08 PM   #4
BataL

well i don't think that the problem is my isp or my router, because other people with the same provider/router haven't experienced that problem.
there isn't running any firewall.

but i don't know where the problem could else be located. there must be something about the configuration of flashfxp. but i din't know what it could be.

the server i experienced my problem on seems to be okay. it's like i told you before: there aren't any problems with software-based ftp's (e.g. when i am leeching from my friend's ftp)
Old 02-23-2002, 01:19 PM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Enabling "send noop during transfer" can cause ftp transfers to time out or fail. I do not recommend you enable this option unless you have a good reason.
Old 02-23-2002, 02:00 PM   #6
BataL

hi there,

theres another thing i noticed during my last test:
i am able to download files with lower size (5mb are okay), when i try to get a 600 mb file i have for about 20-30 sec. full speed and then it slows down to zero (

edit: i didnt check the send noops during transfer, but the anti-idle option

sry, but i need a little help. any ideas how to fix this problem. or where the problem could be located?

btw: this is no cracked version.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:07 AM   #7
DEUS

Default I have the same problem

It's nice to hear I'm not alone- but it sucks cause it sounds like there's no help for us.

Please, if you have any ideas where I can start to look for the solution, let me know- I've done everything from reformatting the os- changing os, changing sites, even changing clients- nothing seems to work, and since Flash is the best client out there- I still use it.

Thanks- Deus
Old 07-21-2002, 03:11 AM   #8
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

If you're using DSL it might have something to do with your MTU value. Check out this thread http://forum.flashfxp.com/showthread...&threadid=1408
Old 08-09-2002, 08:29 AM   #9
MikeBee

I am having the same problem. DIfference is I am on cable modem and not DSL. I can still browse the web when it is happening, and even have different instances of FXP open, but the downloads just stop running and go to 0.0

Tags
connection, download, files, ftps, timeout