Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Bug Reports Report bugs here. (non-beta releases only)

Old 04-19-2003, 04:21 AM   #1
Fuser

Unhappy Buffer Space

I have posted a thread about this before. I have persistent problems with buffer space.

Data Socket Error: 10055:No buffer space available

I get that so often.....

I remember what Bigstar said last time, but I must sincerely protest and ask that it be looked into more closely.

I have been using FlashFXP for a very long time and its really, in all honesty, the only Win32 FTP/FXP program even worth downloading. Everything else is just a joke.

I am currently using Version 2 Build 908. I have had this problem on earlier builds.

I get the buffer space error on Windows 2000, Professional, Server, Advanced Server, SP1, SP2, SP3... All combinations.

I get the buffer space error on these combinations with multiple different sets of hardware.

I have done my best to isolate FlashFXP from EVERY single program/service that is operating. FlashFXP has been the only thing installed, PERIOD, on some cases (Not even DNS/WEB/FTP, etc.) I keep taking out programs and services with no effect. Not just uninstall them. Take the whole system back to "base-line" with Drive Image Pro. I have put a huge amount of effort into trying to fix it myself, assuming the problem was on my end, since that is what BigStar suggested.

I don't know what to do. I tried running FlashFXP on a system that was put together for IT ALONE. Still the buffer space error.

I am convinced beyond any doubt that its FlashFXP. Its the only constant in the dozens and dozens of setups (hardware/software) in the last 6 months.

I would sincerely appreciate if this could be seriously looked into. I am at my wits end.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:53 AM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Out of buffer space errors occur when all of the sockets buffers have been allocated. Either they're all in use or a program did not properly free the socket when it was done using it.

Using P2P or server apps greatly increase the risk for these type of errors due to the number of sockets they use.

I am 100% certain that FlashFXP does not contain any flaws in the socket routine, all sockets are properly freed. Also the fact that no one else encounter these problems lead me to believe the problem is elsewhere. This is the type of problem where if sockets weren't being properly freed everyone would be complaining of the problem.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:51 AM   #3
Raccoon
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Fuser, please goto System Internals and download TCPView (NT/2K/XP).

This program will show you all of the sockets being used. If you have nothing else running, you can imagine that there should be very few listening or established connection endpoints. This program is the window's equivalent of the DOS command NETSTAT.

Try the other programs listed on that page to find any rogue processes that might be running in the background, or perhaps discover a DLL or registry entry that may be causing FlashFXP to crash, using FileMon, RegMon and Process Explorer.

These programs are slightly user-unfriendly and presume you know what you're doing. Good luck.

- Raccoon

Tags
buffer, combinations, error, flashfxp, space