Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

FlashFXP 4.1 beta feedback Please post all 4.1 beta comments, suggestions and bug reports in this forum.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Default FlashFXP 4.1 BETA build 1613

FlashFXP 4.1 BETA build 1613
  1. I made some changes to the _stub.exe used to launch the update installer and perform the update and restart FlashFXP. I have add the windows error code and description to the error message box. This replaces the generic error message. This change will not be noticable to users until upgrade from 1613 to the next release.
  2. Fixed > Site Manager > Multi-Line Tabs > The tab control switches between single-line and multi-line to allow the tab caption to fit. When the tabs were in multi-line mode clicking a top tab switched to the new tab and then back to the tab below it. This issue was caused by an error in the code that handles the tab visibility on selection change and how and when it was called.
  3. Changed > Site Manager > Tab selection, When a tab such as Options is selected and the user selects a different site the tab would often switch from Options to General. The tab that was selected now remains selected provided the tab is still visible. For example select a FTP-SSL site and then select the SSL tab, next select a SFTP site, this will result in the General tab being selected because the SSL tab is no longer visible.
  4. Improved > List controls to reduce flicker when scrolling within them.
Update available via LiveUpdate

Known issues:

1. I am currently investigating some issues with the update installer failing to complete the update installation.
bigstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
benjamin3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

yeah, better dont change any "update" stuff, otherwise you end in this ;-) :

argh

this updater just downloads some 15kb file ? wtf?

content you know by yourself is some .xml/html stuff.. well lets keep 1612 for the moment until you fix updater

Last edited by bigstar; 07-18-2011 at 01:02 PM.
benjamin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

It was a test to see who was paying attention. LOL.. obviously I wasn't when I uploaded the update into the wrong folder. Perhaps I can blame the heat. Man it's HOT today and the A/C can't keep up.

Its fixed now.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
benjamin3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

i experience that sometimes (also in earlier versions) on binary transfers that just files are skipped if they are tried to be resumed. this time its some direct download, no fxp . let me summarize what i did :

-downloaded some file to approx 70% , i aborted manually, then i switched to another directory
-i queued other files or directory and said "ok resume queue". so he switched back to the first directory (where i aborted the 70% complete download) and just says :

[L] List Complete: 819 bytes in 0,80 seconds (0,8 KB/s)
[L] Skip [unknown]: filename.blabla

so he proper switches back to the directory, tries to download the file and cant fetch, why ? well he then moves on to the newly queued directory and there the download works fine. besides this is the same source! so now the transfer is over, i manually check again the directory where the "skip"-action took place and download again, and now it works.

btw. i have always "global" file transfer rules, no server specific rules. and the rule is properly set "if download and destination smaller then resume . as i see this is properly working.

sometimes i think it's regarding "folder cache" or something. thats why i also set to reload folder cache everytime a transfer starts.

regards
Old 07-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

What is your setting for "On transfer error"?

This rule is applied to any transfer in the queue that is manually aborted or transfer after a transfer error.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
benjamin3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

yeah this is set to "skip". i just wonder "why" there's an error. besides as i realize that this issue often appears if you just abort some transfer and then switch to another source or folder , queue this and that and then fire up again the resume_queue , i had this on local transfer, i have this on fxp transfers!

not often, not all the time, but sometimes and after manually again starting those "aborted/skipped" ones then it's working. but why? there must be some reason, i think regardinbg folder cache or sth...
Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I look into this and there is a display glitch but not a functionality bug.

In this situation the correct skip reason is not being passed to the routine that displays the "Skip [<reason>]: <filename>" text in the status window and this is why it shows "unknown", it should display "file exists" because the action defined is set to skip for "On transfer error"

When a transfer is aborted either manually or due to a server/connection error a flag is set to indicate that the next time this transfer is attempted it will use the "On transfer error" rule, this allows you to specifically resume, skip, overwrite when re-starting a failed transfer regardless of your main set of transfer rules.

This is very important because consider the following scenario:

1. You have a single file transfer rule configured to skip all existing files (regardless of size or date) on download.
2. You begin a file download, half way through an error is encountered and the transfer fails.
3. FlashFXP will then evaluate your "retry failed transfer" settings, should the transfer be retried? if so how many times? how many times have we already retried? etc.
4. Lets assume that the retry count is set to 3 and this is the first retry attempt.
5. Now if FlashFXP were to use the file transfer rule defined in #1 the file would be skipped on retry.

To prevent this from occurring we introduced the "On transfer error" rule that takes priority over all other rules.

It is not logical to apply the same set of transfer rules to a file after a transfer error because the conditions have changed, like in my scenario above a file that previously didn't exist now exists and would be skipped.

This also simplifies the file transfer rules because you don't need to factor a way to handle transfer failures when building your rules.

While explaining logic behind our file transfer rules I realized one tiny pitfall with the current design, you can not define an individual "On transfer error" rule for each type of transfer (upload, download, site to site) and perhaps there should be a way to do this.

Last edited by bigstar; 07-18-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
X3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

local browser is missing crucial buttons cant copy and paste anything into ffxp

still showing some abberrations as well shift + click not good.

share with donwt works

and if parent dir is selected then the big snarly moster comes biting your behind.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:05 AM   #9
benjamin3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Hey guys, funny issue regarding "backup/restore" , i did some backup-config into .fbk file of my pw-secured ffxp and tried to restore onto another windows7-64bit same build 1613 , during import he asked for the password i entered, it was accepted as expected, then he asked "what you want to import, i choosed all stuff", it imported and started ffxp saying "some optjon first take place if you restart ffxp". now i restart ;-) and it asks again for my set'ed password but it says "the password does not match".

yeah baby! another bug found and im happy thats my office client where i found this issue and i hope to see urgent update fixing this. btw. this is reproducable and it works for dummy password 12345678 aswell as for special passwords.

@author: while now i dont have access on my new client's ffxp i would like to see some /restore commandline option or e.g. in START_PROGRAMS_FFXP "start ffxp with factory default". because now i have to complete uninstall ffxp including settings, have to reinstall and again try to import my .fbk file.

and while we talk about .fbk file i would like to see a cool feature working like this:

-if you place the .fbk in same folder as setup.exe it would recoqnizes this and pushes it automatically in the config after finishing installation, that would be quite handy, instead of installing and having manually restore .fbk file . what you think ?

but first, fix the password problem i wonder no-one found this issue/bug ;-) so everyone "trusts" in the password stuff without ever backup/restore? ;-) well we are on build beta but that feature should always work cause it worked in earlier times like a charm ;-))

EDIT: the sourcePC was some win7-32bit , the other new client is win7-64bit, im not sure if that makes any sense...

EDIT2: perhaps will try to import the same file again on same client, but i dont think that makes any sense... and yeah, i dont have CAPSlock on or NUMlock ;-) tried it 5times !

thanks!
ben
Old 07-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
benjamin3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

By the way, if you set "shortcut should be placed in quick launch" at the end of installation nothing gets pushed as symbol in the quick launch . but it's properly placed on desktop if chosen, and in start-programs aswell , but not in quick launch ;-( , windows7-64bit here.

regards
Old 07-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Benjamin3

I attempted to reproduce the issue you experienced with the backup/restore, using an identical setup as yours, Windows 7 32-bit vs 64-bit, unfortunately I was unable to reproduce the issue.

Would it be possible to give me the cpu brand/model for each machine?
What is the windows operating system native language for each machine?

The installer isn't smart enough to know how to read or extract data from the backup file, This could be added but I don't think it would be able to properly handle encrypted files.

I have to wonder if maybe perhaps there might be a problem with the original encrypted files that were used to create the .fbk backup file.

Could you please try the following steps.

1. First please create a backup of the FlashFXP .dat files (outside of flashfxp) just in case this test exposes a problem with the encrypted files and you need a way to restore the current working .dat files.

2. Sites > Security > Clear password. Restart FlashFXP, please verify to make sure your files were all decrypted and loaded correctly into FlashFXP, you can either check within FlashFXP or load the data files into notepad to confirm whether or not they're decrypted. (Some files such as the cert.dat and schedule.dat are always encrypted) the encrypted files start with ESTREAM followed by binary data.

3. Sites > Security > Set Password. Now create a backup and try to restore it on another computer.

As for installing FlashFXP with customized default settings this can be done, though it has to be done a special way. It can't be done via the installer, the data files must be placed into a sub-folder located in the FlashFXP program folder such as C:\Program Files (x86)\FlashFXP 4\Default, the first time FlashFXP is started it will copy the default files from this location into the users personal data folder. Oh and at the moment this will only work when the installation is set to per-user data files (where the data files are stored in the users own %APPDATA% folder vs the shared data folder %ALLUSERSPROFILE%).
it has to be done the first time FlashFXP started and not via the installer and the installation must store the data files per-user. This allows administrators to create a customized default set of data files that are installed the first time the user runs FlashFXP.

You can delete the data files from the FlashFXP data folder to revert FlashFXP back to a default installation. With the exception of the default site list, as this would need to be restored from a virgin installation. You can run FlashFXP with the command line FlashFXP.exe -uninstall_data_files to remove the data files the same way.

The quick launch setting appears to work for me, Was the quick launch bar added as outlined in this following how-to guide?
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/add-the-quick-launch-bar-to-the-taskbar-in-windows-7/

If you use a non-standard folder for the quick launch bar in Windows 7 then you wont see the shortcut added by the installer.

Last edited by bigstar; 07-22-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Tags
flashfxp, sftp, site, tab, update