Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions FlashFXP 3.0 RC 3 Suggestions

Old 07-29-2004, 05:12 PM   #1
Hydra

Default Computer Alternative IP [Cable Modem+Hub]

I have 2 computers connected to hub that is connected to a cable modem, now when i try to move stuff from one computer to another the speeds are capped by the cable modem limitations (common problem)

Is it possible to make some specific site force use computers alternative IP settings (settings that are for local area network)

I can connect to other computer using it's alternative IP and get Max downspeed no problem, but it's still capped by the download speed of cable modem (it handles other computer as LAN computer, but computer i'm connecting from, as internet computer that is connecting through inter)

If there would be a way to force using lan settings ( alternative settings) it would bypass this problem and have LAN <-> LAN connection. It would help alot, cause i dont want to buy a switch
Old 07-29-2004, 05:48 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I think you might need a switch or a better hub.

If you unplug the cable modem from the hub is the transfer still capped?
Old 07-29-2004, 06:47 PM   #3
Hydra

No, if i unplug cable modem and set the lan settings right (cable modem takes settings from DHCP) no capping involved, but this is problem with hubs that it will us uplinks limits

If there was away to enforce the alternative IPs, it would fix the speed cap problems, it would contact the other computer from lan ip to lan ip, not the internet ip to internet ip (or any mix of those)
Old 07-29-2004, 07:43 PM   #4
slash
FlashFXP Beta Tester

I think I understand what you mean.

You have several IP addresses. I'll use mine as an example.

Internet IP: 69.158.123.100
LAN IP: 192.168.0.104
Localhost: 127.0.0.1

From what you've posted, I get the feeling you're using the "Internet IP" of both computers to transfer, hence being limited by your internet connection. What you need to do is figure out what you "LAN IP" is, and use that for the transfer.

This "LAN IP" will probably start with 192.168, and can typically be found by entering the command ipconfig in a dos shell. When you attempt the FTP connection over your network, use this "LAN IP" for the transfer.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-29-2004, 07:53 PM   #5
Hydra

That's the problem partially

ok once again, let's see

i have 2 computers, with 2 sets of IP addresses

(just examples)

Computer 1)
a) Internet IP: 101.101.101.101
b) LAN IP: 202.202.202.202

Computer 2)
a) Internet IP: 111.111.111.111
b) LAN IP: 212.212.212.212

lan ips are the alternative IP's

now if i try to download with computer 1 (a) from computer 2 (a) i will get capped by internet connection so that downloading computer gets max down rate and uploading computer sends out at max up rate

now if i connect with a computer 1 (a) to computer 2 (b (which is easy since you input the B address instead of A address)) and download from it, the computer 1 uses the internet IP and get's capped by the internet limits and the computer 2's sends unlimited.

I need a way to get computer 1 to use the lan-ip to connect to computer 2 thuse no limiting would happen hope this clarifies more than it confuses
Old 07-29-2004, 10:36 PM   #6
slash
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Alright, I think my original idea was correct. When you're connecting to the FTP, use the LAN IP. So to connect to computer 1, use 202.202.202.202. To connect to computer 2, use 212.212.212.212. If you do that, the traffic should be confined entirely to the network, which would avoid internet speed caps.

Tags
alternative, computer, download, lan, settings