Old 09-01-2002, 12:17 PM   #16
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I downloaded the free version of ZoneAlarm lastnight to test the problem again for myself. After about 3hrs of testing I was simply unable to reproduce the problem on my system. I uploaded 50 files and then downloaded them, then I ran a SFV check to test their integrity. Every single file was 100% perfect.

I used the default ZoneAlarm settings.

I am using Windows 2000 SP3 + all updates.

It would appear to me that not everyone using ZoneAlarm is affected by this problem and I was very disapointed that I couldn't reproduce it.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:17 PM   #17
JimUK
FlashFXP Registered User

Update

I'd like to report all is fixed but unfortunately it isn't

I have been using ZoneAlarm Pro all day.

After apparently good reuslts last night, now approx 2 in 3 of all RAR files are corrupt.

Exaclty 0 in 2000 ZIP files are corrupt. (i.e. no zip files corrupt).

I have just disable ZA Pro so I can finsih off my RAR files.

If you notice the other threads with ZA problems they talk of parts. These wouldn't be RAR parts by any chance would they ?

How come RAR files screw up but ZIP files don't ? I have download 20 meg+ Zip files OK.

This is getting confusing, and I still have no conclusive answer.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:07 PM   #18
JimUK
FlashFXP Registered User

Good news

I think the issue is resolved now, I'm not sure what it is - I'm going to hazard a guess. But let me explain what I did.

For those of you who don't know ZoneAlarm very well you can allow/block not only programs from accessing the internet, but also individual components (DLL's + some others).

I completely erased all allow/block controls for all programs & all components, so my install was basically the same as new on the program-blocking side of things.

I then ran FlashFXP and it came up requesting access - I allowed this access.

This triggered another requester for "Generic Host Processes for Win32 Services". I allowed this program too.

By allowing these 2 programs ZoneAlarm also automatically allowed the specific components that these programs use.

This means now FlashFXP is working perfect.

So, does that mean ZoneAlarm is to blame ? I still don't think so. Let me explain what I guess happened.

Sometime before I installed FlashFXP maybe I blocked a program somewhere from accesing the internet. This in turn automatically blocked that program's associated components (it knows they are associated because when the program was originally allowed it used these components).

FlashFXP was installed many weeks/months later.

Maybe FlashFXP was trying to use one of these "blocked components" ?

Now I know many applications share components and I've never had problems with any other application & ZoneAlarm. I figure if a existing component is initialized/setup by a new program ZoneAlarm automatically finds out about this automatically and removes it from it's blocked list if another program that has been allowed is trying to use it.

I am guessing that somewhere in the FlashFXP code a component is not getting initialised/setup correctly and this is not filtering through to ZoneAlarm, so if that component was already blocked it is not getting de-blocked.

I hope you understand my theory above.

It's quite late so I need some sleep. I'll be happy to do some more investigation on this tommorow and supply you with a list of all components I see ZoneAlarm allowing/blocking etc... now I have full logging turned on just to analyse this issue.

I hope this helps.

Maybe you could supply me with a list of the DLL's and other components you use for FlashFXP Bigstar ?

Maybe I can block/allow each component one by one to find out exactly what component is causing the issue ?

So - if you want a quick fix remove all access controls for programs & components. Hold down shift click the top one in the list and the bottom one, right click and choose remove.

Whenever IE or any program tries to access the net you will have to allow/block it again. But this should solve any ZA users FlashFXP issues - but this is not the ideal fix I am looking for. This should not have to be done.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:21 AM   #19
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I suspect "Generic Host Processes for Win32 Services" was triggered because a ftp client connects/accepts (outoing/incoming) connections.

With the exception of SSL support FlashFXP does not use any 3rd party dll's or components. The SSL dlls are only loaded when a SSL connection is being used. The SSL dlls are in your FlashFXP folder.

FlashFXP interfaces directly with the microsoft winsock dll.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:45 PM   #20
JimUK
FlashFXP Registered User

It's now not working again :-(

I haven't really done anything except allow a few more programs to access the net.

Something very strange is happening.
Old 09-03-2002, 03:49 PM   #21
JimUK
FlashFXP Registered User

ALL IS NOT WHAT IT FIRST SEEMS !!!

I realised something earlier, and I think I've cracked it. The good news is there is no problem with FlashFXP OR ZoneAlarm.

Every time I was turning off ZoneAlarm (as I thought this was the problem) I also turned off the FTP server I run.

Whenever I had ZoneAlarm on I ran the FTP server (it's very popular so I try to leave on all the time, but didn't want the risk of running it with no firewall).

Now I'm not sure how it happens but it appears the FTP Server is stealing some packets intended for FlashFXP. There is clearly a clash between both sets of software.

I've just had ZoneAlarm on and the FTP server off and downloads are fine. When I turn the FTP server on and I start to get users the downloads become corrupt again.

I am going to manually configure the port settings on my FTP Server and the ZoneAlarm settings for my FTP server to block all other traffic getting to the FTP server. Hopefully this should clear things up. If not then I'll probably try BulletProof or something.

P.S. The FTP server software I have running is FTP-ServU.

Anyone else experience a clash between FlashFXP/FTPServU ?
Old 09-03-2002, 04:18 PM   #22
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

i think this is all just pure coincidence. sometime transfers work and sometimes they don't. i doubt your tweaking makes any difference.

as for running firewall just becuase of running ftp server, that's pointless. firewall is designed to block access to a system, but in order for ftpd to work you need to punch holes in your firewall. so you're defeating the purpose of a firewall. seems like you've been infected by GRC virus
keeping your system up to date and having good IDS is the best thing you can do.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:45 PM   #23
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I use Serv-u for all of my inhouse FTP testing. I transfer on avg several gb a day testing different aspects of FlashFXP. If there was a conflict between Serv-u & FlashFXP would have noticed it.

I suspect perhaps when FlashFXP, Serv-u, & ZonAlarm come into play there might be some problems. Since Without ZoneAlarm there are no problems.

Out of curiousity if you transfer files from FlashFXP to Serv-u with Zone Alarm running are the files corrupted?

With my setup I have Serv-u installed on two computers, my main machine and a networked computer. So I can test with Serv-u locally or remotely. In each instance no corruption occures. Serv-u is behind a firewall and cannot be accessed via the Internet.

However I have not tested this configuration with ZoneAlarm. After conducting my tests with ZoneAlarm the other day I uninstalled it from my system.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:49 AM   #24
JimUK
FlashFXP Registered User

For over 36 hours now I've had the following 3 programs running and being used (working perfectly).

ZoneAlarm Pro
FlashFXP
FTP Serv-U

I manually configured FTP Serv-U to use certain ports. I then configured ZoneAlarm to block any communication with FTP ServU other than on these specific ports and with required protocols. The result now is that it is working perfect, and has been for over 36 hours

I guess FTP Serv-U was stealing packets or something before they got to FlashFXP. It is not doing this now as it can only access packets intended for it's ports. This is also more secure than the general method people would set up FTP Serv-U with ZA by allowing it access to all ports & protocols.

P.S. I do not have a virus, always virus scan everything, scan the system 3 times a week with latest DATs and run torjan scanning program too.

After 36 hours of perfect use I think that this is definitiely the issue and there is nothing random about it at all, other than downloads probably working when my server has no users active.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:18 PM   #25
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

lol
i'm not talking abot regular computer virus. i'm talking about virus people get infected with when they read grc.com and all the misinformation there.

Tags
byte, problem, rest, transfer, version