Old 06-22-2002, 06:16 AM   #1
Cobra77

Default Having trouble with FXP transfer...

There is a following problem: when transferring files from FTP to FTP, some amount of Kbytes (up to 30) remains uncopied. However FlashFXP reports that transfer *is* complete...

But that's not all, sadly. When trying to resume I've repeatedly got the following message:

===
*STOR smthing.zip
*150 Data connection accepted from error:error; transfer starting for smth.zip...
===

... and of course, nothing is transferred actually.

Most interesting that sometimes it goes normally (I mean, resumes and finishes ok) - but that's for about 2 or 3 attempts of 10.

Bug, may be?

P.S. FlashFXP is RC 2.0 build 860.
Old 06-22-2002, 06:30 AM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

FXP transfers are transferred directly site to site. There is no way for FlashFXP to know if the file is incomplete, if both servers report a successful transfer FlashFXP assumes the file was transferred successfully.

When a site to site transfer is performed FlashFXP acts as a 3rd hand guiding each server along the way, once the transfer starts the two servers are on their own, FlashFXP sits and waits until both servers notify FlashFXP the file was completed and then it continues on to the next file.

Not all ftp servers are created equal, some ftp server software may not be compatible with a different ftp server software. In some instances if the ftp software is created poorly it may not even be compatible with itself.

The fact that the file is nearly complete leads me to believe that the ftp server sending the data is prematurely closing the data connection. It's not waiting for the recieving server to recieve all of the data before closing the connection.

The error:error in the status message you supplied is from ftp server. I don't know which ftp server that is but I have seen reports of that error many times before. I think it has problems with site to site transfers.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:25 AM   #3
MidKnight
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

im not going to say much here bigstar, but you might remember my post about this awhile ago
Old 06-22-2002, 09:12 AM   #4
Cobra77

So it's the trouble of ftp-server itself, and nothing can be done... I see.

Thank you for the answer, bigstar.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:10 AM   #5
Cobra77

BTW, one of this FTPs is definitely using Serv-U 4.0, configured to not allow PASV.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:33 AM   #6
G0D

I only get that problem when the ftpserver is running gene6 or bulletproof. tried it with 2 machine's.
I only did this using the latest flash 1.x though

Tags
===, flashfxp, ftp, smth.zip, transfer