Old 11-29-2004, 09:32 AM   #1
dkupers

Default shared/user settings

In our company we'd like to store the sites.dat to a shared location, but the other usersettings on the users own drive.

By adding the '-datafolder' command-line option, all .dat-files (sites.dat and all userfiles) are stored in the indicated shared location, not only the sites.dat as I would like to see.

The method described in the helpfile under 'Advanced - Network Specific Settings' doesn't work, is seems that the -datafolder option overrides the 'Appdata' registry entry.

Is this a bug, or is it just not possible to store sites.dat on a shared location and all user-.dat files on the users own drive?

Tnx,
Dethmer Kupers
Aqtion id
Netherlands

* FlashFXP v3.0.2 build 1045, evaluation version
* Running behind NAT/router: Yes, Draytek Vigor 2600
* Running firewall: Yes (router)
* Running Antivirus: Yes, Symantec AV
* Network: xDSL
Old 11-29-2004, 09:46 AM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

The command line option '-datafolder' is an override the registry. Currently it's not possible to single out the sites.dat file from the rest of the data files.

If you don't intend on users modifying the sites.dat, you could write a batch file or script to copy the sites.dat to the FlashFXP data folder prior to starting FlashFXP. That way each user has the latest sites.dat when they start FlashFXP.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:56 AM   #3
dkupers

Bigstar,

tnx for the fast reply.

Any plans to split the storing of .dat files in the near future? We're shopping for a new FTP client, this is the only feature we're missing in FlashFXP.

Grtz,
Dethmer.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:09 AM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Currently there are no plans to do this, however this has never been suggested until now. So this could change.

It would be fairly easy to add an INI setting to seperate the sites.dat from the rest of the data files. However this option wouldn't be available until our next software update which isn't scheduled for release until Jan/Feb 2005.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:22 AM   #5
dkupers

Strange.
I presume more multi-user environments like companies would appreciate this feature.

I'll post this in 'suggestions'.

Grtz,
Dethmer.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:32 AM   #6
Pallieter

Default Feature Suggestion

Even for users who have more than 1 machine or users who have different functions at different times (work/private) it would be handy to load FlashFXP (startup command line parameter) with the path of the sites.dat to use.

For example, I have a loptop I use at home and at work. On both sites the laptop needs to load the sites.dat from a (different) central repository.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:07 AM   #7
Linkster
Administrator

Why not then just set the data folder to be shared...or do you want settings, etc to be separate? As for your home and laptop, make a shortcut that sets a "start in" path that you want to share.

Tags
flashfxp, location, running, shared, sites.dat