Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > >

Bug Reports Report bugs here.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:06 PM   #1
barske
FlashFXP Registered User

Default bug when installing FlashFXP 3.0

I consistently experience this bug with Windows XP SP2 final installed. I did not try installing flashfxp 3.0 before I installed the final build of SP2.

I double click the installer, then click next, next, next, (assuming all the defaults), I click Next on the User Information screen (where the flashfxp data files are to be stored and I would always get an error message... as seen in attached screenshot. I had restarted the computer a few times and it would still NOT install.

I also installed ALL Release candidate versions of flashfxp. (version 3.0)

I was able to run the installer if I right click the installer, and choose Run in 256 Color compatibility mode.

Believe it or not, I was able to install the application after that. I then got to the next screen during the install, where you can check to indicate you want the manual installed.

Also, another interesting tidbit, after I had sucessfully installed FlashFXP using the above workaround, and then unchecked the compatiblity mode (run in 256 colors), and re-ran the installer in normal mode, and guess what..it seems to install fine now.

Here are my system details:
* FlashFXP v3.0, build 1015, registered
* OS WinXP with SP2 final
Attached Thumbnails
bug when installing FlashFXP 3.0-flashfxp-error-during-install-jpg  
Old 08-07-2004, 11:59 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

just fyi, at the time of this writing, WinXP SP2 *IS NOT FINAL*.
"RTM" is not the same thing as "final".
so you are still using beta version
Old 08-08-2004, 02:31 AM   #3
slash
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally posted by MxxCon
just fyi, at the time of this writing, WinXP SP2 *IS NOT FINAL*.
"RTM" is not the same thing as "final".
so you are still using beta version
I disagree with you on that one. Although the RTM flag doesn't mean final, (as SP2 build have been carrying it for a while) the final build of SP2 (2180, i believe, is final.)

For further verification, a screenshot of the MSN beta site can be seen here, the word FINAL clearly displayed in the file tree to the left.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:16 AM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

We use Inno Setup for our installer. I am currently not aware of any winXP SP2 compatiblity issues but we will look into this. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2004, 06:49 AM   #5
levijay

SP2 is final btw, as posted on mdsn and available for testers as an early 'present' as well as posted on the xp sp2 newgroups

no problems with SP2 and ffxp 3.0 on my side
Old 08-08-2004, 07:54 AM   #6
MidKnight
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

correct the RTM is "FINAL"
Old 08-08-2004, 02:41 PM   #7
Dave_2

It worked fine for me with a clean install, perhaps your having a conflict with existing software.

I'm an MSDN Pro Subscriber and the service pack was released for download last Friday.

Since I wanted to test a clean install, I slipstreamed the service pack into a copy of XP Pro. (integrated versions haven't been relesed to us yet).

Flash FXP 3 was the first third party software installed and it went right in with no trouble or errors using all the default installation settings.

I haven't even tried installing the final SP2 into an exising install yet, maybe after the weekend i'll have a little more time.
Dave
Old 08-08-2004, 03:04 PM   #8
slash
FlashFXP Beta Tester

I installed SP2 overtop of my existing system, hasn't caused any problems in FlashFXP, or any other software that I run.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:02 PM   #9
barske
FlashFXP Registered User

Now, I almost wish that I hadn't found a work around...I should have run regmon, and filemon right at the point that I get the error message. Perhaps this would have helped to further troubleshoot the problem. Like I say, I can now reinstall on FXP 3.0 final without any problems, without using the compatibity mode. And yes, I am using WinXP SP2 RTM Final build 2180. It was released last friday to all the MS beta testers.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:04 PM   #10
Linkster
Administrator

I've just upgraded to SP2 final here, and no problems whatsoever. Have you verified that the setup is not corrupt? Please right click the setup and choose properties, click the digital signatures tab, and double click to verify the digital signature.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:34 PM   #11
barske
FlashFXP Registered User

The digital signature is valid...I think the problem might have something more to do with the flashfxp betas I had installed. I had RC1, RC2, RC3, and RC4 all installed in different directories. I did the add/remove programs for 2 FlashFXP in the control panel, and 2 flashfxp directories were still left, so I ran the unistallers right within the remaining flashfxp folders.

Tags
click, flashfxp, install, installed, installer