Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > >

Bug Reports Report bugs here.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:36 AM   #1
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Default Possible 'Transfer Speed Display Units' bug

FlashFXP 3.4.0 final, windows 2000 pro.

This option provides two choices 'Kilobytes per second (KB/s)' and 'kilobits per second (kbps)'. I can't remember if there was an 'Auto' option in preferences of previous versions, but such an option does no exist in 3.4.0 final.

The transfer log, status log and the transfer progressbar all display incorrectly when KB/s is the chosen display option. It seems to act as if you have chosen a third option, 'Auto'. It will display the speed in KB/s for slower transfers, but in MB/s for faster transfers (i assume anything over 1MB/s).
Old 06-16-2006, 04:52 AM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

This was a recent change and is the designed behavior. When KB/s is selected and the transfer is faster than 1023 KB/s it shows as MB/s (1024 KB = 1MB)

The transfer speed units option actually relates to bytes vs. bits. even though we imply KB/s in that setting. Perhaps the text could be updated, though I don't think it will be too much of an issue.

Good eye though.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #3
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Hmm, i see.. if this setting has been changed to reflect an option of bits vs bytes, then it is still a little confusing/ununiform.

What i mean is, the intended 'smart units' method is only implemented for bytes (will show KB/MB depending on the speed). If kbps is chosen it will always display in absolute kbps (no mbps?). Where as in the past (iirc) both the KB/s and kbps options meant that the speed would show absolute speeds, in the measure of units chosen.

"...seconds (12,107 Kbps)" = ~11.8Mbps, ~1513 KB/s, ~1.48MB/s

Agreed its not a big deal, just a little confusing. Maybe this could be turned into a suggestion for future builds... more specific options for this setting. 'Display in bytes (KB/s)', 'Display in bytes (Smart Units)', 'Display in bits (Kbps)', 'Display in bits (Smart Units)'. Or something to that effect.

I guess i just prefer absolute KB/s, and MB/s rounded to a single decimal place isn't particularly accurate (upto 5% off).

Anyway, thanks for the clarification and as usual nice work.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

In the next revision I'll try to incoperate more specific options and add Mbps which incidently was overlooked. Also perhaps MB/s should display two decimal places.

Tags
display, flashfxp, kb/s, option, transfer