Old 04-30-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
Logan
FlashFXP Registered User

Default Too slow!

I believe this issue warrants a bug report. I'm using 3.3.6 (build 1125) BETA.

This beta release of FlashFXP is beyond slow. It takes 5 seconds to load up, I shouldn't say it's beyond slow, the startup is beyond slow actually using the program is fine.

Especially with password protection, takes a few seconds for that to come up, then flashfxp loads in the next 5 seconds.

5 seconds doesn't sound like a lot, but when you are launching programs they should be instantaneous. I can understand the loading time for photoshop, but an FTP client, no way.

If this isn't resolved for the final release, I'll definitely be finding a new FTP client because this is ridiculous.

Can anyone else confirm slow loading? Or at least slower from the previous beta releases?
Old 04-30-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

On my computer (my specs are: Pentium 4, 3.6GhZ and 1GB RAM), FlashFXP 3.3.6 (build 1122) takes 2.5 seconds to start up. I started it several times and it always takes the same time.

Anyway, 'instantaneous' is an utopy . Yes, you could load some stuff fast but unless you have something loaded into RAM you will never see anything launched 'instantly', as far as i know.

[Off Topic]

Doesn't Google's architecture loads and serves everything into/from RAM in their servers instead hard disks?. I have readed some time ago that this could lead to faster 'results' due to you avoid I/O of hard disks ... or something else.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

what antivirus do you have and how is it configured?
what how many drives do you have? networked? cd/dvd? have some explorer extensions installed?
and it started happening just in build 1125? that seems a bit unlikely...
Old 05-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
Logan
FlashFXP Registered User

It actually started in the build before this one, sorry.

I have Kaspersky, and what do you mean how is it configured? It's configured at the recommended settings where nothing is slowing down, even with it disabled FlashFXP is the same.

I have one drive, I'm the only computer on the network. I don't use Internet Explorer, I use Firefox, therefore I don't have any extensions no.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
I don't use Internet Explorer, I use Firefox, therefore I don't have any extensions no.
i didn't say "internet explorer"...i was talking about 'windows' explorer.
some applications install extensions/addons to the explorer tree view...HomeSite and ColdFusion comes to mind. they install their own wierd ftp client as part of windows explorer which often cuases issues.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:22 PM   #6
Linkster
Administrator

FlashFXP v3.4 IS slightly slower than 3.2 to load because of the language translation addition i believe. With more and more features, comes additional overhead. We are certainly looking into the issue though to see if there is something we are missing.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #7
Logan
FlashFXP Registered User

Sorry, no I don't have any applications that have added onto windows explorer. I don't use anything like that.

Linkster, is there anyway to remove the language translations? I'll only ever use English.

I'll wait until final and if it's still terribly slow like it is now I'll have to look for another FTP client, as it's a bit ridiculous. But since it's beta, like I said I will wait to final to make a decision.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
Linkster
Administrator

If it helps, on my OLD p3 1ghz laptop with 1gb ram, FlashFXP takes about 2 seconds to load. This is with Nod32 AV running, as well as many other services. I wonder if there is some sort of conflict.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
Logan
FlashFXP Registered User

I'm willing to give you any information and/or printout that you need.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #10
Barough
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Im running the latest Build here and i have no issue with this. It opens up in a second or so.
- LAN (100/100Mbit)
Old 05-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #11
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
... I have Kaspersky ...
By the way, Logan, Kaspersky was famous (version 5 if i remember correctly) to be a 'resource nightmare antivirus'. It has one of the best heuristic motors and, overall, it's one of the best antivirus since years but ... could you disable it completely (disable the scanner AND close the antivirus) and test if FlashFXP starts faster?.

Take a look also at your task manager processes in order to check for suspicious processes and it will be a nice idea to run some spy/adware cleaner (spybot search & destroy, for example) and a registry cleaner.

5 seconds to launch FlashFXP is too much ... even with the translations loaded.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #12
Logan
FlashFXP Registered User

One, I'm quite tech savvy and I know for an immediate fact that my system is clean of spyware/adware, etc... I have ran one just to ensure it though and nothing more was found other than tracking cookies. I've no suspicious processes, other than system processes I just have firefox, MSN and kaspersky running. I've tested it with them all closed with the same result.

Two, Kaspersky v5 might have been a resource hog, however I'm using v6 and I've never used a faster AV in my life. I've entirely exited the program (right click -> exit, it's not like Norton. When you tell Kaspersky to exit it actually does completely exit and all of it's processes are gone). It still takes around 5 seconds to load.

Therefore I can confidently say it's not the software that I'm running however FlashFXP itself. Is there anything else it could not be agreeing with on my system?

Tags
beta, flashfxp, ftp, seconds, slow